Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 06 Mar 2010 20:06 #351676

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
i use a stock gearing and cruise at 4000rpm.no real buzz issue.
i gutted the inside of the sprocket cover , then i shimmed it out with a couple of washers behind each bolt. this forced me to lengthen the shifter rod.
U will also have to grind off the inside,lower foot peg bolt hole boss. the chain will hit it.
if u use aluminum motor mounts, u may hit it with the chain as well. Tk11b40, Ted made me up a roller to solve this problem.B)
There are a lot of great, and helpful guys here on KZR.:)
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 06 Mar 2010 21:02 #351684

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
testarossa wrote:

Could u just make them shorter and slide them into the corner more? thats what i did with mine , but to be honest , i dont know if i could take the block off. i just had them put on with the motor still in it.I hope its not a problem, but i would likely pull the motor any ways, if i had to take the block off.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 06 Mar 2010 22:04 #351685

• testarossa
  • testarossa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
Mark, you read my mind. If I modify them, then they will get shortened and moved up. However, I will see if I can remove the motor with the block attached. If so, then they will stay. They look too cool peeking out from under the tank. Just a subtle clue that the frame is less than stock. The kind of thing that will get an observant persons attention.

BTW you're scaring me with all of the things that the chain can hit. I was planning on removing the stock lower footpeg mount anyway. Do they press out after all of the nuts are off? Seems like I removed everything from one and hit it with the hammer. It didn't move! So do I push it out or cut it off?

What speed are you cruising at 4000 rpm with? What rpm does it vibrate at? It seems like all I-4s have some speed that they want to vibrate at.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 07 Mar 2010 05:50 #351708

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
testarossa wrote:

I was planning on removing the stock lower footpeg mount anyway. Do they press out after all of the nuts are off? Seems like I removed everything from one and hit it with the hammer. It didn't move! So do I push it out or cut it off.

Have you removed the nut from the back side of the frame? The studs screw into the frame boss and then has a jam nut on the back side of the frame. You may have to grip the stud with a pair of locking pliars to turn it as they are stubborn sometimes.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 07 Mar 2010 07:06 #351730

• thane_420
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I use a 1/2" offset 17 tooth 530 chain front sproket on mine. It is close but chain does not hit or rub frame or tire. Here is a picture. Check out more pics on my build.

73 kz900 1075,mre clutch,race cut tranny,cams,airshift,34 flatslides, custom rear wheel
76 kz900LTD gsx-r suspension swap, mikuni 29mm smoothbores, stock engine
72 suzuki gt750 2-stroke triple

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 07 Mar 2010 08:17 #351754

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
testarossa wrote:

They look too cool peeking out from under the tank. Just a subtle clue that the frame is less than stock. The kind of thing that will get an observant persons attention.

So COOL. I like your way of thinking.It's like a little tease , is't it . lol

BTW you're scaring me with all of the things that the chain can hit. I was planning on removing the stock lower footpeg mount anyway. Do they press out after all of the nuts are off? Seems like I removed everything from one and hit it with the hammer. It didn't move! So do I push it out or cut it off?

U just grind off the inner boss. they are welded in.Don't get carried away with chain clearance , until u get a sprocket and chain on there. if u end up only needing a 1/2" offset, u wont need to worry about this stuff. It's only when u use a 5/8" offset, that u have chain to frame issues.

What speed are you cruising at 4000 rpm with? What rpm does it vibrate at? It seems like all I-4s have some speed that they want to vibrate at.

I cant remember exactly, but i'd say around 55mph,4000rpm.
i don't have a vibration .but my mirrors do have a bad vibe, at anything above about 3000? my memory really sucks.
If u are not in a big hurry, i could send u my used 5/8" 630 offset sprocket.
I had to mill material off of my rear hub to move the sprocket closer to the tire.
Every bike will be a little dif. u have to put the rear wheel in the middle then try to align the sprockets, and see what u have.depending on the arm and wheel and whatnot. just mock it up and start scratching your head.It will come to you.we can tell u what we had to do to make our projects work, but dont think that yours will be exactly the same. Its all about compromise. u try your best to get the wheel aligned with the front wheel, but as i found out, it's not always possible.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 07 Mar 2010 13:45 #351784

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
my tire to chain clearance is 5.5mm. there is no chain rubbing whats so ever. the frame to chain clearance is 4.mm. and the chain is rubbing on the frame.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 07 Mar 2010 22:50 #351900

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
Damn Mark, I'd have never thought that the line between rubbing and not rubbing would be as fine as 1.5mm! It must be that you've got your chain wound so tight! ;)
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 08 Mar 2010 06:23 #351938

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
I don't really know why it seems that way. maybe it has something to do with the distance between the front sprocket to frame and rear to tire? or maybe light rubbing on the tire just doesn't show up ware marks on the tire?:side:

Giving this some more thought, i think that when u get off the gas the chain slack heads forward . this is likely why the frame gets hit and not the tire.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 10 Mar 2010 18:08 #352556

• testarossa
  • User
Streetfighter, thank you. I never thought about them screwing in.

Thane, I have definantly been checking out your build. Love the bike its tough. FWIW, I would go with a nice flat black. It looks right on your bike. So how many teeth on that rear spocket? Are you happy with your gearing?

Mark, don't waste your money sending that sprocket, I'll sort it out.

So I have been a total lazy-ass when it comes to the bike this week. Work has been less than fun, and Cub Scouts is kicking my ass. Also had to help the wife pick out her new toy-1997 Miata. She lets me have two motorcycles, so I guess I am obliged. Anyway, I was able to resurrect my old PC. Low and Behold, I found some pics of my KZ when I brought it home.

Too bad I don't still have a picture of the tail-light with the Playboy bunny sticker. It really completes the look. My favorite was when my son asked me if I was keeping the "Bunny rabbit sticker." He was about 5 at the time. I don't think he's ready for me to explain the context.
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 12 Mar 2010 22:24 #353019

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
It looks like a fairly clean complete machine when you started. I wish I had had the forsight to take a few pics when I brought mine home. So then not much progress since you helped source a pink Miata?
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 12 Mar 2010 23:27 #353024

• testarossa
  • User
I guess that you could say that it was fairly complete. No exhaust, rusty frame, really rusty seatpan, rusty wheels, brakes stuck, but it had compression and a title.

Not a pink Miata, but close. Its red and very loud. Someone had the foresight to mount a glasspack in place of the original muffler...WOW! I must say that the little car is Bloody fun to drive even with me having to squeeze my 6'3" 235lb. ass in the driver's seat. Handles like a go-kart. I must say that the average American is lost when it comes to their idea of a sports car. You could try to follow me on a twisty road with your favorite Mustang, Camero, Charger, etc. and I guarantee that I would lose you with this 13 yr old 4cyl 133 H.P. girl car. I'm soo far into the corner before I have to use the brakes that you are already done, then I adjust the line and right back on the gas. I love an underdog! So how does the 914 handle since you put the SBC in?

BTW, I promise some serious progress this weekend. I forsook a ride on the Three Sisters (Central Texas Motorcycle Utopia) to stay home and knock out some KZ work.
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN