Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 21 Oct 2011 10:32 #484453

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
i love two strokes :woohoo: .

just so you know :whistle: .

being as how two strokes gear lube is only in the transmission you will get coloring more from the heating and cooling of the clutch ,and the wearing of the clutch fibers than anything else.
i run bel-ray gear saver in my banshee and it starts out a red color (like atf)and as the clutch wears it starts getting grey streaks in it.it is it's own best indicator of when to change it. :)
keep us posted,
leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 21 Oct 2011 15:09 #484482

• clutch
  • clutch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12
The aftermath of the 750 project...and the mini project for the day...messy garage! LOL!

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 21 Oct 2011 15:14 #484483

• clutch
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: i love two strokes :woohoo: .

just so you know :whistle: .

being as how two strokes gear lube is only in the transmission you will get coloring more from the heating and cooling of the clutch ,and the wearing of the clutch fibers than anything else.
i run bel-ray gear saver in my banshee and it starts out a red color (like atf)and as the clutch wears it starts getting grey streaks in it.it is it's own best indicator of when to change it. :)
keep us posted,
leon

Well, after reading that my A1 should get 80mpg...I think I love them too! I plan to make this a daily rider to save oodles of money on gas. Now, this may be a silly question, but will I need to add oil to the gas as well...or is that just something you need to do on simple 2 stroke engines (like weed wackers)? I'm sure it tells me in the manual somewhere, but I haven't perused it enough to find that info yet.
Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 21 Oct 2011 17:30 #484513

• harm
  • User
  • Tom
  • Thank you received: 13
it should have oil injection unless someone remove it. Not sure if this would be a good daily driver. No power until well up into the RPM's but once there its got a little pop! Just my .02 cents. Definitely a cool bike though!!
Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 21 Oct 2011 17:42 #484516

• clutch
  • User

harm wrote: it should have oil injection unless someone remove it. Not sure if this would be a good daily driver. No power until well up into the RPM's but once there its got a little pop! Just my .02 cents. Definitely a cool bike though!!

I'm pretty sure the oil pump is still in there. I will find out for sure when I get into the motor. Reading up on these bikes, they claimed to have given the 500 and 600cc four strokes of the era a run for their money....must have been a shock to those guys! LOL!
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 21 Oct 2011 18:07 #484523

• clutch
  • User
EDIT: WARNING!!!! Very long post...but it's mostly pictures! :woohoo:

So.....I cleaned up my mess from the 750 project, and now there is plenty of room to move around and get into this bike.

I put it in its spot for tear-down, and did a walk-around

On a random side note, I tested the battery...it's been off the charger for about a week now, and still holding above 12 volts...let's see how it looks when it's time to put it back in the bike. LOL!

Moving on....

So a while back when I painted the 750 orange, I spilled a bit of paint on the A1...and the floor...will be cleaning that up

And here are many more of the before pics I took today...I have already removed the gas tank, oil tank, side cover and seat a while back...so...a few less things to mess with in the tear-down phase :)

Someone cut the front fender down...maybe they were going to cafe it or something....what a shame...it's in decent shape otherwise.

I remember hearing someone saw that these rubber boots are hard to find. Mine don't look in terrible shape, but there are some slight cracks that hopefully don't go completely through.

These screw heads look very shiny...I'm assuming they're not 45 years old and that someone has been in at least a few of the covers...

Most of the cables need to be replaced (clutch and front brake). Amazingly enough...the rear brake cable works ok

Sweet! A little oil checker dipstick cap! (I'm entertained by the simplest things lol)

Electrical...

Not sure if these scratches will come out easily???

ANd last, but not least, my absolute personal favorite...homemade gaskets using silicone....can't wait to see the engine gaskets! LOL!
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Last edit: by clutch.

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 21 Oct 2011 19:52 #484547

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
real cool...10
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 21 Oct 2011 20:44 #484553

• shadetree1
  • User
  • 80 model b4 1000 - 78 1075 engine 34mm's Kerker
  • Thank you received: 1
Somwhere in this world a SL 350 Honda is missing its tires

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 22 Oct 2011 00:01 #484591

• clutch
  • User
So I went out to get a pack of smokes a couple hours ago, and when I got home, I went straight into the garage. I thought I was done for the day after cleaning up the mess in there, but I started getting things ready to remove the engine. Carbs are out, chain is off, exhaust is off, all cables and hoses and wires disconnected. All that is left to pull it out other than removing the mounting bolts, is getting the stubborn tach drive cable out of there. It is held on with a knurled nut that just wont budge. I have 3-in-one oil soaking on it overnight to hopefully loosen it. Sorry guys...no picks, but I promise I will take some of where I'm at before I start again tomorrow...and then hopefully some with the engine out too! :woohoo:

EDIT: I also pulled the plugs to have a look at them...they look ok, but honestly I don't think they're the right ones, and two different brands. Basically looks like the PO threw something in there so I could start it before I bought it...
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Last edit: by clutch.

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 22 Oct 2011 00:23 #484598

• clutch
  • User
Oh...forgot to mention that it only had an exhaust gasket in one side, the other side had a noticeable amount of oil in the header. I know the exhaust gasket wouldn't prevent that, but it was an interesting observation.
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 22 Oct 2011 01:43 #484609

• clutch
  • User
I went back out to the garage with my camera to take a few pics of a wheel I have that another member is interested in, so here are some shots of where I'm at right now...

Left and right side with covers and carbs removed.

Carbs hanging out until I removed the cables from them

Parts laid out, organized, and mounting hardware is separated into labeled ziplock sandwich baggies so I can easily locate them when putting it back together.

This is the stubborn little booger that just won't budge...still...
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 22 Oct 2011 15:11 #484688

• clutch
  • User
So I finally got that stubborn knurled nut off to remove the tach cable. I ended up having to use a small pair of vise grip pliers to get a good grip...and even that took several tries!

Then I removed the motor mount bolts, and proceeded to remove the engine, but this air cleaner mount was in the way, and I stripped the screw. I did get it off with a screw-out tool and my drill.

Finally! It's out!

A few pics of the swingarm and frame grime. Not too bad considering how old this bike is I think...

So step one of the tear-down is complete. The engine has been removed! The rest of the tear-down should be much easier. I will start with removing electrical, then the swingarm, then the forks. Then the real project begins...cleaning it up and putting it all back together! LOL! :woohoo:
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...