My Bobber

More
01 Jul 2009 09:35 #303615 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic My Bobber
Nice Job! Very nice final product. I want to build a VMax Bobber...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2009 14:58 #303658 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic My Bobber
Nice job man, and you get extra points for the shifter.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
11 Jul 2009 22:17 #306363 by eyeofthestorm
Replied by eyeofthestorm on topic My Bobber
hahah thanks guys. everyone loves the shifter. im so used to it at this point i cant imagine riding any other way. and anyways, since were all friends here, i thought id post my recent work and revelation. i had a moment, a few days ago, while looking at the bike and thinking about how it rides, and bikes in general, and i thought here i am, throwing away amazing handling and a wicked good bike just for a classic look. not cool. bikes should perform, and as far as classics go this one is killer, why waste that? so i took her back to her roots a little bit. wrapped the pipes to keep the motor cool, and switched to a set of MX bars. did some cleanup, like new headlight and tag mount, and a few other little odds and ends.

anyways, she lives up to her reputation as a classic sport bike now, or at least a little more closely. love the new look, hope you guys dig it. think "50s japanese track bike"

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
11 Jul 2009 22:21 #306365 by eyeofthestorm
oh and as for the damadge on the tank, it was strapped down in the back of my truck and someone decided to release one of my ratchet straps, and it slammed down on its side in the box of my truck. bent the one highway peg all to hell and did that to the tank, but no worries, workin on repainting the tank this week.

More
12 Jul 2009 01:19 #306379 by MrExtreme
Replied by MrExtreme on topic My Bobber
That'a cool, I like the low/drag bars a lot more, never understood the whole ape hanger bars.

You don't quit riding because you got old.
You get old because you quit riding.

More
12 Jul 2009 05:33 #306398 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic My Bobber
That's alright. Doing your own thing is what it is all about.

My friend that rides a Harley is getting the fever of bike building. He came over the other day just because i was going to fire another bike up. It is nice to see one come alive.

He told me his garage seems empty since we finished a build and i rode the bike home.

Again, Great save. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
12 Jul 2009 09:12 #306451 by eyeofthestorm
thanks guys. ape hangers are actually quite comfortable to ride, take the stress off your wrists and hands, and promote a more upright riding position, but at the end of the day for me the pros dont outweigh the cons.

More
17 Aug 2009 15:51 - 17 Aug 2009 15:55 #314633 by junkyard
Replied by junkyard on topic My Bobber
dude thats a beautiful bike..i would love to turn my stock 78 kz650b into a bobber but i have no idea where to start lol...anywho great bike...B)

1978 kawasaki kz 650
Last edit: 17 Aug 2009 15:55 by junkyard.

More
26 Aug 2009 07:49 #316504 by Infektid
Replied by Infektid on topic My Bobber
If you still have those Z ape bars I'd be happy to buy them.

More
07 Feb 2010 10:35 #347087 by 78kz650bobber
Replied by 78kz650bobber on topic My Bobber
hey man what gas tank do you have on there?

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
10 Feb 2010 22:06 - 10 Feb 2010 22:08 #347679 by eyeofthestorm
thanks man. for the one guy who asked, its a stock 68 harley sportster tank, it was cheap and readily available and ended up looking friggin tits on the bike so it stayed. for any and all, heres a few updated pics.

the low bars were hell on my back and i couldnt take it, but the tall bars were hard on my back and my wrists, so i ended up coming to a compromise and wound up with the most comfortable setup ive ever had on a bike to date, i also wanted a passenger seat, more clearance from the tire to the fender, and since i had my bike vandalized once while it was in the back of my truck, i had to repaint the gas tank which was damadged (i tried out an experimental technique to make the paint look incredibly old and faded, so far i love it), and i flipped the headlight bracket to bring it up higher, and look a little more even with the taller bars and back seat/sissy bar. enjoy.

thats how she looks for right now, still hoping to build a new hardtail and weld it up sometime this month or next month.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2010 22:08 by eyeofthestorm.

More
11 Feb 2010 19:13 #347808 by 78kz650bobber
Replied by 78kz650bobber on topic My Bobber
That's awsome man! I just bought a 78 kz650 that I plan on bobbing but I still have alot of work befor it's rideable.