whats it worth

• burkmanofgod
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ750H2
More
26 Feb 2009 06:51 #268203 by burkmanofgod
whats it worth was created by burkmanofgod
Ok so this looks like its going to cost more to fix than I thought. Can anyone give me an estimate of what this bike would be worth if it was running and looking good. Just so I know whether it is worth the cost of fixingit up or if it would be better to cut the losses and sell as parts.

It is a 1982 KZ750H2.

1981 Kawasaki 750 LTD
2006 Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MikePotter86
  • User
  • Two wheels move the soul.
More
26 Feb 2009 07:07 #268204 by MikePotter86
Replied by MikePotter86 on topic whats it worth
In good running condition and great cosmetic condition, I would say it could be worth between 1500-2000, depending on the miles.
Mine has always run, well, it has never had any real serious problems, and I bought it for around a thousand, then polished it for a long time. I would not hesitate to buy a good looking one for 1500-2000.
What's wrong with it?

Michael L. Potter
1981 KZ 750 LTD
South Lyon, MI/ Bloomington, IN

www.flickr.com/photos/potterm/
Attachments:

• MikePotter86
  • User
  • Two wheels move the soul.
More
26 Feb 2009 07:09 #268205 by MikePotter86
Replied by MikePotter86 on topic whats it worth
Also, some cheap improvements that I think really increase the value, and the number of people who would be interested in the bike, are the Super-bike bars, and headlight mounted signals.

Michael L. Potter
1981 KZ 750 LTD
South Lyon, MI/ Bloomington, IN

www.flickr.com/photos/potterm/

• burkmanofgod
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ750H2
More
26 Feb 2009 07:33 - 26 Feb 2009 07:38 #268207 by burkmanofgod
Replied by burkmanofgod on topic whats it worth
It looks like I am going to have to replace the rings and redo the valves, a basic engine rebuild. I was already cleaning the carbs which were full of what appeared to be molasses, also found two clogged jets and one stuck float valve. The engine was full of oil and turned over fine but the compression test only shows 70lbs. I read on Dan's motorcycle repair website that it should have at least 100lbs. It will also need plug wires and tune up stuff but that doesn't cost too much. The engine rebuild is what I think will cost the most even with me doing the work. Plus with new tires and brake work, well the costs seem to be adding up pretty fast. Any help on keeping costs down would be great.

1981 Kawasaki 750 LTD
Last edit: 26 Feb 2009 07:38 by burkmanofgod.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
26 Feb 2009 07:43 #268209 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic whats it worth
even with the low compression i woulkd try ang get a fresh tank of gas and a good(new maybe) batterety and see if it will start and idle..then you can really give it a good scrubbing...taking the brakes off and check ing thickness ..,..you might get by for now just sanding the glaze off the pads and flushing the old fluids out...throw ....a set of superbike bars on it and see if you can get a driver first....then if you pull the motor you can be sure you have a nice clean working area and a working bike to deal with...there was a 750 motor here on craigslist the other week for cheap....you might go that route and come out ahead..rings$,time$gasketts$...good luck...see if you can start it for sure.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
28 Feb 2009 01:01 #268604 by gorack
Replied by gorack on topic whats it worth
are you positive its the rings, when you did the compression test did you try squirting some oil in the cylinders, you know the old trick if putting oil in the cylinders if the reading goes up then the rings are worn but if the reading stays the same its a valve problem jus t curious

More
28 Feb 2009 01:28 - 28 Feb 2009 01:37 #268608 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic whats it worth
gorack wrote:

are you positive its the rings, when you did the compression test did you try squirting some oil in the cylinders, you know the old trick if putting oil in the cylinders if the reading goes up then the rings are worn but if the reading stays the same its a valve problem jus t curious

Dude! Sorry to say but if you have to ask then the bike is not worth it. Get a pre 81 kz 1000-900 and don't worry about putting money into it.
Now as for your bike. Battery, tires, chain, brakes, tune-ups. You can't possibly consider that as a value as those are just maintenance and upkeep items. Not a thing of those and more matters. You can never add that stuff in to the equation.
As for the compression testing. I don't know how you did it but I can say that as long as they are all even and as long as your head gaskets do not leak do the test again and add the oil. I think that either way a freshening up will not cost you the dahmer price.
I personally think that the tail makes the bike and kawi lost their minds when they lost that defining feature of that bike but if you like the looks more than anything don't hesitate. And please don't think about the money. Motorcycles are usable quantities so stop thinking how much is it worth and start thinking doesn't matter what it's worth if I love it let me maintain it. Who cares?! You can always find a cheaper "deal" but any bike that has 30 years or so is for sure going to need some TLC. If you are looking for a cheap bike buy a newer one. If you are looking for your dream 81 kz then that is what you like and know that it won't cost too much you won't have spent toooooo much. All of those things on that bike are maintenance problems that arise from time and disuse. No bike will be perfect that you may think so but it costs what it costs to have a solid bike. You can ride 9k on the bike then what throw it in the garbage because tires and battery cost more than what the bike is worth?! The problem in the US here is that new is always perceived to be better regardless if it is or isn't. A new zx14 can be had for less than 10 grand. Do you like them better? It's in new shape if you pay more than that on an old bike then like it and stop analyzing it. Am I getting screwed or is another bike gonna be cheaper. 3k and you are well on your way to having a nice bike. You can't buy a new bike for nothing so don't expect an old bike to be everything a new bike is if you don't put in to it to make it like a new bike. Sure a grand could buy a reasonable bike that maybe at the moment looks nicer but I guarantee you that after putting some miles on it you will spend money on it to keep it where it was.
You are not a kz-aholic if you have to ask that question.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 28 Feb 2009 01:37 by saxjonz.

More
28 Feb 2009 02:05 #268611 by gorack
Replied by gorack on topic whats it worth
yeah what saxjon said, besides part of the fun of these old bikes is tinkering with them, and yes im a kz-aholic lol just ask my girlfriend lol

• burkmanofgod
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ750H2
More
28 Feb 2009 18:34 #268773 by burkmanofgod
I'll give that a try a see if it helps. I have higher hopes now since I put the cleaned carbs back on, she actually tried to start for a second before leaking gas out the exhust and breather. so I am hopeful that she may start and run even with the compression.

1981 Kawasaki 750 LTD

• burkmanofgod
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ750H2
More
28 Feb 2009 18:41 #268780 by burkmanofgod
Well I never claimed to be a KZ-aholic. I am just trying to be practical about this project bike. I was hoping to fix her up and use her for a good first bike to learn on and ride to and from work and such. I did not think that it was a collectors item or something. I guess I just hate to see any old vehicle be left to die. I am the same way with old cars. I often wish there was a rescue place for old cars and bikes like there is for pets.

1981 Kawasaki 750 LTD

More
28 Feb 2009 19:48 #268801 by gane
Replied by gane on topic whats it worth
Off the cuff, It usually takes about $1,200.00 dollars to make a $800.00 bike, provided labor is free. The thought of trying to freshen/sell/profit from most Garage sale bikes is a losing prospect. If the ride is your' thing, great.The rewards of building / riding your' pet, are un-paralleled. on the other hand, trying to get say a cb200T running. for resale, will cost between tires, carb kits,battery, fork seals, more than you can sell it for. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
28 Feb 2009 20:53 #268823 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic whats it worth
burkmanofgod wrote:

...leaking gas out the ...breather....

A danger sign that fuel may be getting into crankcase.

Would sniff-test and examine condition of oil. If fuel contaminated, would change oil and filter, and correct faulty carb condition before starting the engine.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD