Twisted's KZ Fighter

More
12 Feb 2009 11:36 #264177 by TwistedKZ
Replied by TwistedKZ on topic Twisted's KZ Fighter
whats a cheap fix for this ugly seat...im tempted to take it off again and just ride on the seat pan lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2009 12:53 #264236 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Twisted's KZ Fighter
Several KZ650 seats currently listed on eBay. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Feb 2009 17:31 #264292 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Twisted's KZ Fighter
Get some heavy vinyl from a craft/fabric store, cut the foam down, and recover. Or get some glass and resin and make a new pan, or find a donor tank and make a gas tank rear fender. Lots of options.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
12 Feb 2009 19:02 #264337 by TwistedKZ
KawiConvert wrote:

Get some heavy vinyl from a craft/fabric store, cut the foam down, and recover. Or get some glass and resin and make a new pan, or find a donor tank and make a gas tank rear fender. Lots of options.

Hey man thanks, i think i might play with the seat again, i freakin hate it. it ruins it for me everytime i look at it. comfortable to sit on tho haha, i just want something simple, kind of like your seat

More
12 Feb 2009 19:27 #264369 by KawiConvert
I only wish mine was simple :lol:. It took about 5 hours of cutting/fitting/welding of the rear tank/fender, another 4 hours of prep and painting, and another hour for seatpan glass work, and another 3 hours for foam and cover.

And after all that, I need to put some more foam in the front, get some vinyl and repeat that last 3 hour step. :) I can pass on some lessons learned from my experience if you are interested, there are a couple of things I would have done differently (like weld the seatpan down flush on the frame, move the battery to under the fender, and make a narrower seat). Of course if I did that I would have needed to cut the tank and weld in some knee dents so my thighs aren't rubbing the tank. Then I would need to strip and re-powder coat my frame.

Last thing is I would have used lab-metal filler and just powdercoated my rear fender with a high gloss chrome with a yellow stripe or two and then clear coated. Maybe I will try that anyways after I get everything else sorted out :).

Sorry, simple answer turned into "what I would do differently on my next bike after I finish this one". I need a spare bike to ride while working on this one. Let me know if you need any help with your seat.

• carpedivum
  • User
  • Grab a hold of the sky!
More
12 Feb 2009 22:09 #264530 by carpedivum
Replied by carpedivum on topic Twisted's KZ Fighter
Hey, I know it's a two-seater, but I think they've done nice job making it flows into the rear fender well. You could just 'cafe' the passenger's seat. Btw, I love the rear fender on ur bike.

And I would look into rebuilding your starter, not that hard. If you're looking for parts for the starter like bushings, just email me... I should be able to get you the numbers.

82 KZ750-N1 Spectre
WG Ign Coil Mod
(Pics)
(Binghamton, NY)
Attachments:

More
12 Feb 2009 22:18 #264532 by KawiConvert
Thats true, look at the corbin gunfighter. Just shave the back end into a dome that blends to the rear fender. All I know is the PO had installed part of a weight bench pad into the seat (plywood and all) so it had to be redone.

More
16 Feb 2009 15:31 #265450 by TwistedKZ
yea i know its hard to say what to do with it, i cut the seat pan about 5 or six inches...so i probably just have to take it somewhere and just say "here" and bite the money bullet.

More
16 Feb 2009 15:48 #265454 by KawiConvert
TwistedKZ wrote:

yea i know its hard to say what to do with it, i cut the seat pan about 5 or six inches...so i probably just have to take it somewhere and just say "here" and bite the money bullet.

Where did you cut the pan at? Did you cut excess off the back end? If so, does it still cover all the wires and fender that you want it to?. If so, you could cast a glass mold of your current pan, put the seat on it, and bolt it to the metal. Then you could use the stock foam (if its still good) and just shave it down.

More
17 Feb 2009 11:13 #265662 by TwistedKZ
haha i have no idea to cast a glass mold...but i will take a picture of the seat pan tonight and where it sits and get back to you, thanks for you help.

More
10 Mar 2009 13:14 #270947 by TwistedKZ
bump

More
11 Mar 2009 03:12 #271120 by image
Replied by image on topic Twisted's KZ Fighter
i know you mentioned you wanted to do things on the cheap, but a zedbutt or z-butt seat unit like they put on a lot of 'fighters in the uk would be perfect for what you're after. they come in both the z1 and z650 styles...there's a couple on ebay at the mo:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/REPLICA-KAWASAKI-Z900-Z-B..._trksid=p4634.c0.m14

cgi.ebay.co.uk/REPLICA-KAWASAKI-Z650-Z-B..._trksid=p4634.c0.m14

shown here on a bandit:

'81 KZ750-4 ltd / 810 GPz motor
'84 Suzuki GR650
'01 Ducati 750 Sport / corse pipes + chip