First bike, first project, have questions.

More
03 Jan 2009 06:03 #255870 by JLove
A few months ago I got a 1980 KZ250 D1. Got it tuned up and running great just in time to shut her up for winter. I'm now starting the actual planning of what I want to do by spring...
I know that I want something Cafe-esque. I like the look of the CB350's, and I want to find/make a flat seat like they have, not the seats that seem to be on most of the Cafe builds I've found thru searching. (The KZ250-C1 has more of the look that I like.)
So, my current list of things to do is:
-seat
-tank
-gauges (possibly replace, at least relocate)
-bars
-lights
-exhaust ?
-paint (I'm going to end up getting the frame powder coated hot pink, and painting the tank and side covers black, with pink pin stripping on the tank)
-front forks ?

My questions, so far, are:
Any suggestions on where to find a flatter seat, or, how hard is it to re-stuff and re-cover a seat?
What should I look for in front forks and a tank? Are there certain measurements I need to know in order to make sure everything will fit right?
I've (attempted to) attached a rather shitty picture of the bike as it is now. If I knew how to use photoshop, I'd have fixed up a sweet future photo, but imaginations will have to suffice.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
-j
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2009 10:32 #255906 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
JLove wrote:

A few months ago I got a 1980 KZ250 D1. Got it tuned up and running great just in time to shut her up for winter. I'm now starting the actual planning of what I want to do by spring...
I know that I want something Cafe-esque. I like the look of the CB350's, and I want to find/make a flat seat like they have, not the seats that seem to be on most of the Cafe builds I've found thru searching. (The KZ250-C1 has more of the look that I like.)
So, my current list of things to do is:
-seat
-tank
-gauges (possibly replace, at least relocate)
-bars
-lights
-exhaust ?
-paint (I'm going to end up getting the frame powder coated hot pink, and painting the tank and side covers black, with pink pin stripping on the tank)
-front forks ?

My questions, so far, are:
Any suggestions on where to find a flatter seat, or, how hard is it to re-stuff and re-cover a seat?
What should I look for in front forks and a tank? Are there certain measurements I need to know in order to make sure everything will fit right?

Bike looks like a good start.

For the seat, its easy to get foam and vinyl and make a new seat. Making a Corbin-esque seat is a bit harder. You'll need foam, electric carving knife, spray adhesive, light plastic sheet, heavy vinyl, staple gun(if you do a new seat pan).

From the look of the seat your pan may not go well to the flat seat, you can make a new pan out of Heavy plastic (55gal water barrel stuff), fiberglass, metal, wood, etc. You could alter yours if you want.

For gauges there are some available that are generic ones on the XS650 store or the digital Acewell combos. Lots of options there as well.

Find forks that are the same length unless you plan on changing the rear suspension to prevent altering your geometry.

Find a tank that fits the look you are going for. You can always weld new mounts to the tank or frame. Mainly you will want rust free with a good cap and petcock as those seem to be the most often lost.

Also, on your frame, figure out if you want to chop/brace any parts of it before the powder coating, also your side panels if you want to keep them or rig something else as you will end up with the mounts still on otherwise.

Do you have anything that shows what you are going for with this bike? Even pictures of other projects that you have liked? Anyways, looking forward to seeing how this one turns out, I've been thinking of doing a smaller KZ cafe project after seeing hoopsnake's KZ250a.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
03 Jan 2009 11:01 #255912 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
You could build a cool looking seat pan/rear cowling out of some heavy gauge metal. In the past I’ve chopped up an old server rack for a seat pan and made another out of wood. (Anybody got a dryer on the curb in you hood?) I’ve used foam cushions from the fabric store but they are expensive and not too comfortable. Go to home depot and in the gardening section they sell those closed foam pads that you kneel on to pull weeds. Great, comfortable, cheap seat materiel.

Hot pink frame eh? Freaking awesome!

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

More
04 Jan 2009 06:39 - 04 Jan 2009 06:39 #256070 by JLove
Replied by JLove on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
That's awesome. It just so happens that we have a junk dryer waiting to go to scrap. And I have two old memory foam pillows that aren't used anymore.
Nice.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2009 06:39 by JLove.

More
04 Jan 2009 23:38 #256228 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
JLove wrote:

That's awesome. It just so happens that we have a junk dryer waiting to go to scrap. And I have two old memory foam pillows that aren't used anymore.
Nice.

Perfect. Now get out a hammer and go to work. The little bikes are perfect for what you want to do. Make sure to keep us posted and send lot's of pics along the way.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
05 Jan 2009 10:13 #256266 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
I would pick up some actual upholstery foam instead of the pillows. The pillows use a softer foam than mattresses and it works well for an 8lb head, but not a 180lb posterior. I picked up about 3' of 2" think foam for about 15-20.00 on Ebay and it works well. That, some marine grade vinyl from JoAnne's, and some general spray adhesive from Walmart. The other thing I used was some batting type foam on the outside to smooth any small blemishes in the foam from shaping and some thin plastic that I glued over the top to keep water out of the foam. Then I sprayed the back of the vinyl, attached the front with staples, and started stretching and attaching with staples.

This makes the 4th seat I've done, the 1st that I have done completely from scratch for seat pan, foam, and cover. Good luck!

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
05 Jan 2009 10:28 #256269 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
The Convert is absolutely correct. You do need a high density foam. A lot of seats have at a least 2 different densities (kind of like progressive shocks). Then use another to smooth everything. Just sit on your pillow for a while and pretty soon it won't be a pillow anymore! ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
05 Jan 2009 14:14 #256296 by cnyl

Go to home depot and in the gardening section they sell those closed foam pads that you kneel on to pull weeds. Great, comfortable, cheap seat materiel.

Awesome! Thanks!;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
05 Jan 2009 17:57 #256340 by Kawozaki
Replied by Kawozaki on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
I got a Lil' Z-bike in the garage that I'd like to part out ( I know, I know! I really don't want to, but the scoot is NOT complete and lacks a title so...). Lemme know if there are any parts you might need...the seat is a flattie and in pretty decent shape. I'll have to check the ol' girl over to see what is worthwhile, but I would imagine that there is quite a bit that is useful for your rebuild. I'm in jersey, btw. Good luck on the project!

More
05 Jan 2009 18:44 #256346 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
Ok, going to gamble here and most probably put my foot in my mouth once again....

"paint (I'm going to end up getting the frame powder coated hot pink, and painting the tank and side covers black, with pink pin stripping on the tank)"

Hot Pink!....:huh:

So as not to insult you now or in the future and for us neanderthals to be polite, you are a girl correct? :laugh:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
05 Jan 2009 19:21 #256352 by JLove
Replied by JLove on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
Thanks Kawozaki, I'll be sure to let you know if I need something I can't scrounge up around here. I think I'd definitely be interested in the seat if it is flat and in decent shape. I might be asking for carb parts, too, depending on prices around here... I found a great step-by-step for making one from scratch out of fiberglass, but I think that might be a bit much for my first solo project.
Thanks for the suggestions of kneeling pads, I think I came to that conclusion yesterday after remembering that the pillows I was intending to use are sitting on a shelf for being crappy as pillows. I doubt they'd fare too well as seats. (Even though I'm not really that close to the 180 mark;) )
After spending the better part of the weekend looking at pictures and stalking eBay auctions, I haven't come up with anything more than a boat load of more ideas. There's finally some garage space, so I plan to stake out a corner of it and set up camp. As long as I don't get too tied up in the kitchen or elsewhere, I plan to spend the better part of this weekend stripping the ol' gal down.
Don't worry, OMR, although some do consider me a lady, I tend to prefer things that aren't suited to skirts. And I'm really not that easy to offend...

More
05 Jan 2009 19:40 #256354 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic First bike, first project, have questions.
"As long as I don't get too tied up in the kitchen or elsewhere, I plan to spend the better part of this weekend stripping the ol' gal down."

At least half that statement is familiar....:woohoo: welcome!;) GLuck with the bike. Lots of help to be had here. Have fun "stripping the ol' gal down."!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"