77 KZ1000 to 1400 project

More
09 Jan 2008 08:36 #188406 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic 77 KZ1000 to 1400 project
stever, sorry about the slow response. been really busy getting my shop up and running, and the damn cages are keeping me occupied.

search for a thread by larrycavan. there is enough porting and cam info in there to make your head spin(pun intended).

if that's not a cop-out answer, i dunno what is. 8^(

ape sells the 410 cams that would work great with the setup you want. there may be others that someone could give opinions on here as well.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Jan 2008 13:44 #188894 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic 77 KZ1000 to 1400 project
stever wrote:

Hi Sol,

"you want fun, reliable streetbike for a driver, go with the 1075 recipe. 29mm smoothies, 10.25:1 1075 pistons, mild port on the head, and cams."

Thats about what I am planning would you go with the wisco pistons or Ape, what cams would you use and what kind of horsepower would you expect?

Lot's of nice cams for 1075 motors to choose from.

Given the choice, I'd go JE for pistons. Web 119 Grind cam will get the job done nicely. I wouldn't bother with 37.5 Intakes. The stock 36s will work fine. Good return on the money spent, very streetable.

JMO

Post edited by: larrycavan, at: 2008/01/12 16:52

More
12 Jan 2008 14:30 #188900 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 77 KZ1000 to 1400 project
saxjonz wrote:

Hey all, I am very interested in seeing how these projects come together. This winter I am going to spend some serious money on my motor as well. My criteria is that I want to get the most size and hp available and yet still have a daily rider that I could ride long distances as well. I don't care if the bike can beat a busa. I know it won't but a busa could never beat the coolness and classic status that the kz has. No matter where I ride everyone who knows the bike gives it mad props. Pisses my harley rider and wanna be harley riding friends off.
Anyone know if a 1428 turbo kit (low compression) would be the trick to get the most hp and have the most reliability of a big block. That has got to be able to put up at least 150hp. Also what size mik smoothies would work best on that application? All I want to do is terrorize the street not looking to race on the track or just have it as a short distance rider when its cold out. I need it to be a daily rider.
Thanks for considering my question.
Saxman

thats what im betting on,but im going the 1385 route and putting a bottle on it also just incase:P

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
28 Feb 2009 19:56 #268805 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 77 KZ1000 to 1400 project
Ok, it's been a year now and I was just wondering how your project turned out. I currently have my bike awaiting some 10.5/1 JE Pistons which I hear from many mouths are a better piston than the Wiseco I also have heard they are discontinuing them for the kz but will still make them custom order which makes the stock they have left discounted so can be bought cheaper. They seemed to be the same price on kzzone.com as the wiseco. Sounds like a really good deal.
The cam is going to be a bit bigger and wilder than mild not sure just yet about that. Going to have to cut the valve cover and scallop the head a bit for clearance big. I will use this bike as my test mule to see if it makes me smile or I need to go bigger on the other bike. I am still considering a big block but less as time goes on and people tell me about burned rings and overheating issues. I do get caught in traffic and long Chicago lights at times so I definitely am not looking to rebuild the motor all the time. I was thinking 1100 area or a really screamin' 1075 with a bottle or turbo as well. For right now that is just a thought as I await the 80 and test it out. Plummen's bike is going to be the business I am sure.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
28 Feb 2009 19:59 #268806 by requiem
Replied by requiem on topic 77 KZ1000 to 1400 project
well, unfortunately, all my parts are still in solomrus's garage, since i lost my job and have yet to recover financially. I have a stable job again, and hopefully soon will pick up the project again, and when i do, will make sure and update the thread.

it makes me sad that it is taking this long, but it will be finished, if I have to sell my body to make the money.

More
01 Mar 2009 06:33 #268882 by PLUMMEN
heres a couple motivational shots for ya!:laugh:

Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2009 06:34 #268884 by PLUMMEN

Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2009 19:11 #269084 by saxjonz
:laugh: The thought makes me cringe.:(
Hey, don't feel bad I was planning on having my 79 done by now but the house had other plans for me after the roof started leaking and the window upstairs were about ready ready to fall out. I bought all of the windows at over 5 grand.:blink: I dropped so much money on it. Roof, gutters, windows, siding, back porch, nice back door to compliment the back porch as the door looked really bad. I dropped around 20 large on that project. Now I have the nicest looking house in the neighborhood and no bike.
But that is ok because my house made the neighborhood look bad. I remember the next door neighbors when I moved in were asking me when I planned on doing the sidewalk. I told them "Hey! Cut me some slack. I just moved in!" Thank God that woman got a job and stopped with the busy body self that she is. My garage burned down and they built me a new one which ended up costing me more than I could afford. I lost my ZR1100 which led me back to my infatuation with my ltd. Then someone broke in to my garage so I spent more money on wrought iron gates and then I figured at the same time I would do the walkway. I did it in brick and that set me back quite a bit. :blush: Then my next door neighbor's daughter who became my new best friend with ... well anyway she started coming around for company. Then her ex started in with me about not having curtains on my front windows. I told her "Does that fag even own a house?" "When he can afford a house then he can put his own damned curtains in it if he likes. This is my house and I will do with it as I like." Six years later I still don't have curtains on the front windows. Stained glass and old wood need to be seen by golly.
Well after the brick walk to front porch and sideway entry were finished all the other neighbors who came by to check out the work who had just finished were green with envy especially after I told them what it cost. They said "Had I known the price was cheaper I would have done it too." Smiling and thinking to myself "Yeah but you didn't." Now one of the old ladies on the block complimented me on my house. Said it was the nicest looking house on the block. Criminy! I spent a friggin year to finish stripping the crown mouldings that everyone told me that it wasn't worth it four 12 hour days of dead brain cell activity and another year to finally get the courage and stamina to finish it finally. Then the neighbors loved it. The moral of this novel? Ha, there isn't any but these are the things that have kept me from fixing my bike just the way I want to. Now my neighbors can kiss my glutes because what they thought would remain an eyesore in the neighborhood is now quite turned around. Now after all of this finishes I finally will kick it to my bike and give her the attention she has needed for so many years. Why because I am addicted like all of you guys are as well. I have a problem and I admit it. It's not my bike. It's my damned house! I am sick of that monkey on my back already. lol

79 LTD B3

More
01 Mar 2009 19:39 #269095 by requiem
Replied by requiem on topic 77 KZ1000 to 1400 project
WANT MORE DETAILS ABOUT NEIGHBORS DAUGHTER

get working on the bike! i'm saving cash, and going to go nuts on it soon. I did however, just work my butt off on my honda, and spent like 100 bucks on it, and here's what i ended up with:

stripped this sucker all the way down and did all the work myself, including cutting and welding.

More
14 Mar 2009 08:27 #271853 by saxjonz
Ahhhh.... Absence makes the fart go honda.

79 LTD B3

More
17 Mar 2009 00:06 #272652 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic 77 KZ1000 to 1400 project
saxjonz wrote:

Ahhhh.... Absence makes the fart go honda.

Haaaaaaaaa!:laugh:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)