KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?

• Pacificmonarch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2007 17:08 #136892 by Pacificmonarch
Replied by Pacificmonarch on topic KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?
I would like to drop the front end a bit. I want to get the most performance out of my CSR. If possible I don't want to machine anything(because I don't have any money!) for now. What other fork can I directly swap other then '77 KZ560(also around how much would the '77kz560 cost for the whole front end?)? Are there any later model bikes I can swap the fork with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2007 04:56 #136983 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?
How much do you want to drop it? You could just move up the forks in the triples to drop an inch or so. If money is short, that will drop it a bit and then you can swap the front end later. I couldn't do this on my project as the forks that came on the bike where from a kz750 or 1000 and where probably at least 3 inches longer than stock. It also had a mag wheel and daul rotors which I didn't want.

Swapping the front end invloves forks, wheel, speedo pickup, rotors. The only down side to moving the tubes up in the triples is they look a little funky sticking up above the triples. But doing this would save you some cash to start looking at pod filters 4 into 1 exhaust and re-jetting.

As far as swapping pretty much any kawi 36 mm fork will slide into the triples. you just have to watch you don't go too short in length or you'll have clearance problems. But as said above if you move from leading axle forks to conventional you are looking at wheel, rotos, axle, speedo pickup.

More
23 Jan 2008 11:31 #190662 by krcrawford29
Replied by krcrawford29 on topic KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?
CSR riders, I dug up this old post to see if you were still around. I was just wanting to see other peoples rides and get some ideas.
thanks ;)

More
21 Jan 2013 15:17 #568516 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?
hey just purchased an 82' KZ650 csr with sole intentions of doing a cafe racer
im sure the older posts have been addressed but
im looking into swapping out my fork and i know that the head tube angle and everything else on the bike (frame,motor,rear suspension etc.) are all the same from other KZ models and was curious as to what anyone else is doing in regards to swapping out the front forks?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
21 Jan 2013 20:08 #568558 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?

jbalet666 wrote: hey just purchased an 82' KZ650 csr with sole intentions of doing a cafe racer
im looking into swapping out my fork and i know that the head tube angle and everything else on the bike (frame,motor,rear suspension etc.) are all the same from other KZ models and was curious as to what anyone else is doing in regards to swapping out the front forks?

Wow! That's good to know. Don't tell the KZ1000 guys that my KZ650 has the same motor as theirs. :whistle:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
22 Jan 2013 11:58 #568645 by jbalet666
Haha I should have specified I meant regarding other kz650 models
I was just hoping to be able to swap forks with another kz650 and check to make sure my research was correct

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
22 Jan 2013 12:21 #568648 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?
Actually you will find that there are lots of differences even between KZ650 models. Charging systems, harnesses, forks, swingarms, brakes, etc. vary between different years and models. You may want to check the parts diagrams at Kawasaki.com to see what matches and what's different. That's a pretty good resource, although it has some errors. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Jan 2013 13:47 #568658 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?

jbalet666 wrote: hey just purchased an 82' KZ650 csr with sole intentions of doing a cafe racer

Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.
Click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Jan 2013 14:47 #568668 by jbalet666
Thanks very much I have an aftermarket manual for all 1982 kz650 models but it seems to leave alot of the part sizes /dimensions out

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
22 Jan 2013 14:59 #568672 by jbalet666
Yeah I'm just kind of going off the manual that I have at the moment
I'm only really concerned about my front fork and getting the stance of.a cafe racer simply and preferably without much or at all.possible no machining

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
22 Jan 2013 15:07 #568674 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ650 CSR modifications anyone?

jbalet666 wrote: Yeah I'm just kind of going off the manual that I have at the moment
I'm only really concerned about my front fork and getting the stance of.a cafe racer simply and preferably without much or at all.possible no machining

Would bear in mind that dropping the front end by raising the fork tubes inside their clamps will "quicken" the steering, and might cause or aggravate any front end handlebar wobble.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Jan 2013 17:35 #568685 by jbalet666
Yeah that was my first concern
But isn't that what steering dampers are for?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood