Brand new here from Kansas.

More
16 Aug 2024 14:06 #903343 by Keys_KAW
Replied by Keys_KAW on topic Brand new here from Kansas.
Hi DOHC,
I wonder if I really need a drag engine on the shelf also. My engine is stamped Z1E041xxx, I believe it's an early KZ900.

I would like to find a rebuildable 78 "D" engine. A 1075cc @ 10.25:1 would be an ideal street engine. I think you should build two, I'll buy the second one...

I have the original windshield, but it's in bad shape. I just ordered an aftermarket, who knows if it will fit. I really like the windscreen on the yellow bike. 

Could you send me a message with a list of good vendors for our bikes? I have a collection of Chevy muscle cars and I have learned the hard way of where and where not to buy restoration parts, but I am new to the Kawasaki world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2024 01:11 #903360 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Brand new here from Kansas.
This may sound nutty but i would get all your paperwork worked-out first thru the KS DMV first before changing things on it. If you're still running on the MSO or any semblance of paperwork ever offered to another state then you'll have to arrange for an on-site or cart that thing down to the Highway Patrol for their "run-thru-the-system check". My KS State Senator Friend does mine for me because he knows all the correct procedures and was always in Topeka anyway. Or perhaps if you personally know of a car dealer, can't be that many Valley Center, Wichita i'm sure has plenty though. It's ALL about procedure, don't want to ask all the WRONG questions, the DMV is a fidgety flock.   

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
17 Aug 2024 14:28 #903380 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Brand new here from Kansas.

Keys_KAW post=903343 userid=80011Could you send me a message with a list of good vendors for our bikes?

First thing I'll mention is that you should find a Kawasaki factory service manual for the Z1R (not a Clymer).  It's a very high quality manual, and it will show you how to do everything you need to do.  The one you want covers the '77 and '78 KZ1000-A1 and KZ1000-A2, as well as the 1978 Z1R (KZ1000-D1).

As for parts, there are plenty of places and most of them are decent.  I haven't had too many issues.

Partzilla
www.partzilla.com/
Kawasaki factory parts.  Generally competitive prices (certainly much cheaper than going to a dealer), and generally fast shipping (but not always).  This is the first place I go to look at the factory part diagrams.
A lot of these parts were available 20 years ago, but many are now discontinued.  However, it's sometimes surprising what you can find.

Z1 Enterprises
www.z1enterprises.com/
Maintenance and tune-up parts, some OE replacement parts, and some upgrades.  Been around for many years, good quality and service.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if the part is genuine Kawasaki or aftermarket reproduction.  When in doubt (if it might matter) I go back to Partzilla.

Z1parts.net
z1parts.net/
Similar to Z1 Enterprises, but sometimes has things that Z1 Ent. doesn't have. 

JetsRUS
jetsrus.com/
Carburetor parts, rebuild kits, fuel stuff, etc.  Easiest place I know of to get genuine Mikuni parts.

Brakecrafters
brakecrafters.com/
Great source for brake rebuild parts.  They sell full kits with caliper pistons and all the seals.  High quality.  Excellent service.

APE
kzzone.com/
Lots of performance engine parts, as well as head and cylinder work/machining.  Has been around since the '70s.

Truedisk LLC
Very high quality brake disk resurfacing.  

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suazo

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
17 Aug 2024 14:29 - 17 Aug 2024 14:30 #903381 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Brand new here from Kansas.
Apparently there is a maximum number of links that I can have in a single message....

Here is the link for Truedisk.
truedisk.net/

Doremi and PMC
www.doremi-co.com/
www.win-pmc.com/
These Japanese companies specialize in reproduction parts.  They make pretty much every part for the Z1, but only a few for the Z1R.  They have lots of cool stuff that is often very expensive.  If you want a full reproduction body kit this is where it comes from.
There are some places in the US that import some parts (like Z1parts.net and Z1 Ent.), and other stuff is available on japan.webike.com
If it's not at one of those places, it may be hard to get your hands on.

Japan.Webike.Com
japan.webike.com
The Z1 and KZ1000 are very popular in Japan, and it seems like restomodding them is also popular.  This site offers a way to find lots of really cool upgrade parts that are too expensive to actually buy.  But sometimes they have run of the mill reproduction parts that you can't find anywhere else.  This site makes buying from Japan easy, and the shipping time is reasonably fast.  I've placed several orders and have not had any issues.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 17 Aug 2024 14:30 by DOHC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

More
17 Aug 2024 15:03 #903383 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Brand new here from Kansas.
Webike also carries genuine factory parts at surprisingly low prices and with great service. I have found that even with shipping, it is usually cheaper to buy from them than from U.S. vendors.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
18 Aug 2024 16:32 #903412 by Keys_KAW
Hi asphalt900,
I have a 1980 KS off highway title, it states that a certification of inspection is required. My plan is to reinstall all of the turn signals, mirrors and find a baffle to keep the noise down. Hopefully they don't want me to start it. 

More
18 Aug 2024 16:36 #903414 by Keys_KAW
Hi DOHC and TexasKZ,
I really appreciate the information you both provided. I am going to print those pages and keep them in my book.

More
23 Aug 2024 09:52 #903588 by Suazo
Replied by Suazo on topic Brand new here from Kansas.
Welcome aboard!