Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Owner of KZ650 17 Sep 2019 17:25 #810990

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
That carb video is all well and good but with a 40 year old carb there is more to do than just poke some jets clean. All the various O-rings for example will be hard and brittle, particularly those on the interconnection tubes, and the only way to get at those is to ungang the carbs. Yes, more work, but the only way to properly clean and restore the carbs. And don't buy "carb kits" thinking you can just replace some parts to restore the carbs. It doesn't work that way and the aftermarket carb jets are typically inferior to the originals so it pays to do the job right and clean the originals you already have. That way is cheaper too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Owner of KZ650 18 Sep 2019 06:36 #811011

• lakshan
  • lakshan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

650ed wrote: I don't get it - why install those spark plugs? Notice those are RESISTOR plugs, but your 1977 KZ650 was not designed to use resistor plugs. Instead you should use Denso (ND) W22ES-U plugs. I've owned my 1977 KZ650-C1 for more than 42 years (62,000 miles) and that what I use. They last a VERY long time; longer than most folks keep their bikes.

I looked up the NGK stock number and noticed they had iridium versions that also fit. Looked at a few posts around the forum and saw some people had good use out of em so I thought they'd be good. They are good choices for my other cars. The guide said they fit but I didn't realize they are resistor plugs on a non resistor bike. Thanks for the info! I will pick up these Denso plugs instead.

KZB2 650 wrote: ...... and am so glad I read you switching out the Mobil one for Rotella since you suspected it causing your Starter clutch to slip......... after switching to M1 I right away had SC slippage and read that a few others did too.......... I then gave this advice out and kind of felt like maybe I sounded a little crazy suspecting the oil but with you thinking it too I feel better. Am thinking you might still need to tear into it soon but at least for now you bought yourself a little time.

By the way nice bike lakshan .... your gonna love it ........ and being from Canada you can take your time over the winter and have it all ready by spring.

Thanks for the recommendation on oil guys, I'll try the Rotella and/or stick with JASO-MA certified oils. And yes, the plan is to tinker at it over the cold months :) lots of time to learn and get familiar.

Nessism wrote: That carb video is all well and good but with a 40 year old carb there is more to do than just poke some jets clean. All the various O-rings for example will be hard and brittle, particularly those on the interconnection tubes, and the only way to get at those is to ungang the carbs. Yes, more work, but the only way to properly clean and restore the carbs. And don't buy "carb kits" thinking you can just replace some parts to restore the carbs. It doesn't work that way and the aftermarket carb jets are typically inferior to the originals so it pays to do the job right and clean the originals you already have. That way is cheaper too.

Thanks Nessism, I would always tend to do it right the first time, I figured the video was similar to our bikes but thanks for pointing out it's not as simple. I'm trying to find some how-tos as I'm very new to this whole process. Are you saying I would need new o rings? Any other oem parts to replace? Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Also found this after reading more forum posts www.kzrider.com/jdownloads/General/Gener...ethod_for_vm_28s.pdf

Bikes in general are still a black box to me and I'm just starting to get into it so any and all information helps a ton. Thanks again guys!
'77 KZ650B1 in progress...

Last edit: by lakshan.

New Owner of KZ650 26 Sep 2019 09:42 #811388

• lakshan
  • User
For the Shell Rotella T6, do you guys use the 5W-40 or 15W-40 oil? They don't come in the 10w-40 variant.

New Owner of KZ650 27 Sep 2019 05:02 #811417

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
Depending on where you live. The 40 is the important number; that is the oil weight or viscosity a normal temperature. The 5W, 10W, or 15W that is the 'Winter" designation, meaning how it behaves when is cold. To simplify; a 10W-40, would behave like 40 in summer, and would behave like 10 and very cold winters.

.....the closer to the Equator, the less you care about the "Winter"designation number. The farther, the lower you want that number. 10W is simply specified as average, as the manufacturer, does not know where you live.

Last edit: by hugo.

New Owner of KZ650 02 Oct 2019 04:38 #811607

• harm
  • User
  • Tom
  • Thank you received: 13
Like the others have said, Great bike! I wish I would have never sold mine. It looks like you got some great advice. Have fun!
Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

New Owner of KZ650 04 Oct 2019 12:32 #811794

• lakshan
  • User
Thanks guys!

So before I start, I wanted to make sure I have covered everything before an initial start up. I've been reading other posts and just looking to get a consolidated list of things.

Clean / rebuild carbs ( have new carb kits)
Replace Battery ( new Yuasa battery ready )
Replace spark plugs ( NGK parts ready )
Change oil ( Shell T6 ready )
Change oil filter ( Kawi oem filter )
Remove old gas and clean tank ( www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-cle...-motorcycle-gas-tank )
Carb sync ( still need to buy sync tool, any recommendations? )
Check/adjust valve clearances ( still need feeler gauges )
New gaskets after adjustment

I know there's other stuff to check but first goal here is to just get her running so I'm prioritizing based on that goal.

New Owner of KZ650 04 Oct 2019 13:36 #811799

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Here's what I use to sync my 1977 KZ650 carbs. These gauges work great. Earlier I had a slightly cheaper set of gauges, and one of them was crap,so I got rid of them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

New Owner of KZ650 04 Oct 2019 18:23 #811821

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853
Dang 650ed, those gauges are nicer than my bike... Sure put my carbtune pro mercurys to same... where did you get them???
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

New Owner of KZ650 04 Oct 2019 20:03 #811829

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
A friend gave them to me when he sold his bike. :) I think they are sold by K&L. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

New Owner of KZ650 05 Oct 2019 18:55 #811898

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2051
I couldn't find them on the K&L website, but it looks like Z1E sells a similar set.

www.z1enterprises.com/vacuum-gauge-set.html
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

New Owner of KZ650 07 Oct 2019 10:15 #811995

• lakshan
  • User
Wow those do look nice. Hoping to find something local, Z1 Shipping to Canada is expensive :(

Tried looking but can't find, what's the vacuum plug size, in case I need an adapter ? 5mm?

New Owner of KZ650 07 Oct 2019 14:12 #812010

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611

• Page: