Hello from SA. Any other GT750's around?

More
11 Sep 2016 10:34 #741856 by G-tron
Replied by G-tron on topic Hello from SA. Any other GT750's around?

750 R1 wrote:

What do you guys think of this 69mm kit? The price seems really inviting compared to Wiseco. Can the stock cylinder sleeves (I think you call them barrels on a bike?) be bored out that much? Should I just go with stock replacement pistons rather?

I'm not to sure for the KZ's but these "cruzinimage" piston kits are usually stock compression, they aren't a High Performance kit, I've seen them fitted to CB750 Honda's with a lot of success, great for the money, and they seem well made. If you after high comp pistons, send the seller a message to confirm one way or the other... ;)

I've confirmed with the seller after your comment and yes, they are indeed stock compression. I'm not too phased about that though. For this type of bike the power should be sufficient.

Eat, Sleep, Ride

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2016 16:18 #741889 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Hello from SA. Any other GT750's around?

G-tron wrote:

750 R1 wrote:

What do you guys think of this 69mm kit? The price seems really inviting compared to Wiseco. Can the stock cylinder sleeves (I think you call them barrels on a bike?) be bored out that much? Should I just go with stock replacement pistons rather?

I'm not to sure for the KZ's but these "cruzinimage" piston kits are usually stock compression, they aren't a High Performance kit, I've seen them fitted to CB750 Honda's with a lot of success, great for the money, and they seem well made. If you after high comp pistons, send the seller a message to confirm one way or the other... ;)

I've confirmed with the seller after your comment and yes, they are indeed stock compression. I'm not too phased about that though. For this type of bike the power should be sufficient.

Cool, I didn't know your intended use so was just informing you of what I understood to be the case, as long as you're happy, go for it... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
18 Apr 2017 12:18 - 18 Apr 2017 12:20 #759521 by G-tron
Ok so small updates. Been sourcing parts to get this underway.

The engine is with a Kawasaki engine builder. Getting a refresh with new OEM crank and rod bearings. The cruizin image pistons arrived too and they look good. Almost forged.

I've also been struggling with the direction of the wheels, tyres, possible chain conversion etc. In the end it looks like I'm going with the KZ1000 swingarm. I also have a KZ1100 swingarm but the st1000 has a cleaner look. It also uses a brake caliper that attaches to the swingarm vs a torque brace like the gt750 and the kz1100.

The 1000 swingarms are 30mm longer and I personally think it makes a nice difference to the stance of the bike. They are narrower at the pivot point which I still have to resolve, while trying to keep the wheel and drive shaft in the correct locations.

The 1000 rim is 17x2.5 vs 18x2.15 of the 750. I'm able to run a 150/70/17 tyre, but it's cutting it fine at the swingarm. The 150 tyre doesn't look any wider than the 130 to be honest. But it has a more rounded profile which should help handling. Could also be cause it's on a tiny 2.5 rim....

Anyways, here are some pics. [attachment=105659]

Eat, Sleep, Ride
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2017 12:20 by G-tron.

More
18 Apr 2017 12:27 - 18 Apr 2017 12:28 #759523 by G-tron
Longer term plans is to modify a GL1800 single sided swingarm and run it upsdie down to enable a 190 tyre and different wheels with a monoshock. The goldwing arm is 4.5cm wider at the pivot so it will take some substantial fabrication, and modified offset (car) wheel narrowed to 5.5 or 6" in order to get things back into alignment, But I'll look back into this at a later stage.

Eat, Sleep, Ride
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2017 12:28 by G-tron.