Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Advice on this Kz550 31 Jan 2017 06:05 #753304

• Mcren
  • Mcren's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Performed a leakdown test.all the cylinders show a slight drop from the incoming pressure. All four cylinders have a leak that can be heard from the oil crank case. It can be heard significantly for cylinder 2 along with a gritty sound as if specks of dirt are bouncing around.
1983 KZ550- A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice on this Kz550 03 Feb 2017 09:56 #753552

• Mcren
  • User
The percentage of leak is slightly larger on cylinder 2.
1983 KZ550- A4

Advice on this Kz550 03 Feb 2017 10:21 #753557

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Are you able to perform the leakdown test with the engine at normal operating temperature? Doing that might change the readings since the pistons will be expanded and that might improve the piston ring / cylinder wall seal. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Advice on this Kz550 04 Feb 2017 01:47 #753623

• Mcren
  • User
Possibly, the carbs are 95% assembled the only thing that have not do to them is do the clear tube test for the float heights. But im sure I can get them together and perform the leakdown test again if necessary.
1983 KZ550- A4

Advice on this Kz550 18 Jul 2017 09:05 #767249

• Mcren
  • User
Morning everyone, I have not been active on the site much but I have been doing some work on the bike aside all of life and all its hiccups.

I've adjusted the float heights to spec will be performing the clear tube test later this week once I build a stand. BTW awesome in depth write up on floats and differences in aftermarket needle valves Lou. Previous owner had pods on there but to compensate I believe they messed with the floats as they were bottoming out. I will be doing a oil/filter change later on this week and post my results.

The one thing that has been a dead end is the dam airbox. I boight one over a year ago for a test fit. Of course it was a airbox that was used for a earlier 550 model so the two inner airbox orifices were slightly smaller. Coupled with the fact that the 2 inner air ducts are obsolete that was a no go.

So I decided I'd go an alternative route. Use fernco rubber couplings for duct substitutes.
Rolled the dice on a 550 M model airbox recently. The orifices were roughly the same and I crosschecked and saw that the m model also used tk26 carbs. It mounts roughly the same although the breather tube to the crankcase does not align so some modification might be necessary. My only concern is the m model airbox will affect the af mixture.

I hope my line of logic in terms of doing all this is fine. Just want to warm the bike up with those components on there and redo the compression test.

It is amazing how limited info I is for this one year model in terms of airbox.

The first is the m model airbox the second is earlier year a model
1983 KZ550- A4
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mcren.

Advice on this Kz550 18 Jul 2017 16:10 #767271

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It sure would have been nice if the previous owner could have kept the airbox and gave it to you.

Even with the airbox, I run a hose from the breather. There will be a lot less nasty grime in the airbox this way.
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/502609-cr...l=component&type=raw
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcren

Advice on this Kz550 19 Jul 2017 13:42 #767314

• Mcren
  • User
Alright will note that. So unfortanely i have to scrap the idea of the M airbox, literally no clearnace with it. The other airbox might be the only option, just to verify a few things I got a few questions.

1. Once the L brackets are installed in the airbox and attached to the frame (battery case) should that provide adequate space to manuever the carbs into the intake manifolds?

2. What is the correct orientation for the boots? Did not see any indicators or markings on them? Is it similar to how I have them set up in my picture?
1983 KZ550- A4
Attachments:

Advice on this Kz550 19 Jul 2017 14:22 #767318

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
If you look at the boots, you will see small notches on one of the lips near the airbox. There should have been a small tab that lines up with that notch. I think your boots are supposed to go into the airbox so that the notched lip is flush with the airbox wall. Then the notch will engage the tab. If the airbox and boots are a mismatch, the notch/tab alignment might not be valid.

If I remember, I'll check and see if the notch is straight up on my 550's (but they are all TK22's, not TK26's).

To install the carbs, the boots have to be in the airbox, and the manifolds have to all be installed. But you keep all of the airbox hardware loose, including the battery box etc, so it can all move backward slightly.

Then I sit on the bike, on the center stand, with the tank removed, and put my feet on the alternator and ignition castings. I then move the carbs in below the boots and engage the intake of the carbs with the boots of the airbox, then pull the carbs into the airbox as hard as possible until I can just get the "nose-in" the carb outlets into the manifolds. I put a tiny smear of antiseize on the carb outlets so they will be easier to remove next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sturmeyhack

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Advice on this Kz550 19 Jul 2017 15:10 #767321

• rrsmsw9999
  • User
  • Thank you received: 67
1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcren

Advice on this Kz550 19 Jul 2017 15:30 #767323

• Mcren
  • User
Ahh ok I will mess around with it later on and let you guys know how it works out.

I was checking out your video earlier Ron and noticed the amount of space you had. Installing the carb bank seems exhausting !
1983 KZ550- A4

Advice on this Kz550 19 Jul 2017 23:36 #767358

• Mcren
  • User
Had a idiot moment once I followed your instructions. I got the 2 outer boots in all the way followed by two inner ones. Now it makes sense clearance wise. The two inner ones I used were from a different 550 model that used tk26 carbs from a link someone provided.

Hopefully the slight bit of looseness around the carb is removed by the spring clamps. Tell me what you guys think!
1983 KZ550- A4
Attachments:

Advice on this Kz550 20 Jul 2017 02:16 #767362

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I didn't mean the boots should be inside the airbox. I meant they just need to be installed properly as they will be when all is done. Your earlier photo seemed to show them not installed all the way. They needed to be installed with one more lip inside the airbox. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

Some people have suggested installing the boots after the carbs are in place. I found that nearly impossible compared to how I normally do it. My comment meant to have the boots already installed when installing the carbs.

Last edit: by loudhvx.