New guy KZ400 project.

More
22 Oct 2012 22:43 #555283 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic New guy KZ400 project.
The cam is for a late motor,but the cam card has no timing numbers.
So how did he degree it?
The head has been milled and at .050 c/r would be 11.8.
Not much done to the intake ports either,the bump for the rocker box bolt is still there.
Talk is cheap and he couldn't afford carbs...........

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2012 04:20 #555530 by J.Sharer
Replied by J.Sharer on topic New guy KZ400 project.
it could be degreed using a degree wheel and a dial indicator. it just takes a while.. but like i said. it seems extremely quick to be such a simple build.

More
24 Oct 2012 16:02 #555583 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic New guy KZ400 project.
very few people here into roadracing and guess maybe none with a 400 twin....

think you'll find much more info by posting in wera or vintagebikeracing

forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?s=cb2dd9...ee04b39a4a1e2821&f=5

vintagebikeracing.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&...158&hilit=gpz#p23158

like some say here and there, the 400 twin will not be easy to find tunning parts for. most important, read the rulebook and see what are classes you can fit and be competitive in. even if unless you are a very gifted rider, you will not be running at front initially ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
24 Oct 2012 16:51 #555585 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New guy KZ400 project.

J.Sharer wrote: this is one of the builds i was refering to.. its strangly fast. almost makes you want to question its credibility.

www.armbell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12394&mforum=kz400

Almost?? Let's see - world's fastest KZ400 = ape hangers, forward controls, stock carbs, chopped off pipes, 200lb rider, 400cc of fire and thunder blasting down the 1/4 mile in 12.56 sec. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Maybe with a 200 mph wind at his back :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Oct 2012 02:37 #555673 by J.Sharer

turboguzzi wrote: very few people here into roadracing and guess maybe none with a 400 twin....

think you'll find much more info by posting in wera or vintagebikeracing

forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?s=cb2dd9...ee04b39a4a1e2821&f=5

vintagebikeracing.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&...158&hilit=gpz#p23158

like some say here and there, the 400 twin will not be easy to find tunning parts for. most important, read the rulebook and see what are classes you can fit and be competitive in. even if unless you are a very gifted rider, you will not be running at front initially ;)

I don't expect to be running up front. I've learned that during my 4 wheeled racing ventures.

I have a lot to learn riding. So its mainly going to be used at track days at first. It will give me the opportunity to learn the bike, figure out it flaws, and learn how to correctly and safely track a bike before I jump in the mix. I don't understand the school on friday race on saturday stuff. If I decide I love the bike then I'm going to prep it for lightweight super bike. Or if its possible Formula 250 (depending on if its considered like 1972 design). but that is in the future. first its all about sorting the bike and just enjoying riding it.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Oct 2012 04:14 #555686 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic New guy KZ400 project.

650ed wrote:

J.Sharer wrote: this is one of the builds i was refering to.. its strangly fast. almost makes you want to question its credibility.

www.armbell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12394&mforum=kz400

Almost?? Let's see - world's fastest KZ400 = ape hangers, forward controls, stock carbs, chopped off pipes, 200lb rider, 400cc of fire and thunder blasting down the 1/4 mile in 12.56 sec. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Maybe with a 200 mph wind at his back :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That would take serious balls to even ride that thing down the track,let alone a 12.5! :woohoo:
According to that time sheet it was all in by the 60' mark then whatever he was racing walked away from him B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
26 Oct 2012 04:18 #555829 by turboguzzi
ok, good approach, even if usually the bug bites harder than you think when you get into it.

besides going into those more dedicated forums the other piece of advice i can give you is to try and make it to a vintage race meeting or track day and see what mods people are running. helped me a lot when i was starting.

the usual piece of advice for track newbies is to leave the motor stock, make sure it runs as strong as it can jetting/ignition wise and concentrate on suspension/brakes/tires.

in a nutshell....

More
26 Oct 2012 04:44 #555832 by J.Sharer

turboguzzi wrote: ok, good approach, even if usually the bug bites harder than you think when you get into it.

besides going into those more dedicated forums the other piece of advice i can give you is to try and make it to a vintage race meeting or track day and see what mods people are running. helped me a lot when i was starting.

the usual piece of advice for track newbies is to leave the motor stock, make sure it runs as strong as it can jetting/ignition wise and concentrate on suspension/brakes/tires.

in a nutshell....

I agree with that completely. Its the same with cars. Suspension and brakes is the base and power is a luxury. This is the reason I'm wanting to start on a small bike. I'm sure its a lot like car racing in the aspect that you cant drive a fast car fast is you cant drive a slow car fast. Its all about learning cornering speed and using momentum to your advantage. The reason I haven't said much about suspension is because i have no knowledge on motorcycle suspension other than, my stock rear shocks are really only holding the springs on, and the front is way to soft due to the inside of my fork tubes being rusty.

This is a topic Im really looking for insight on. I know how to make 4 wheels handle good. but 2 wheels is a different story. I can assume spending a ton of money on state of the art suspension will make the bike handle better. but the understanding of why, is what i need to learn before i feel comfortable spending loads of money on suspension parts. Not to mention trying to decipher between over kill and essentials.

But to be honest after a suspension overhaul and some motor tuning. I just want to hit the track with it and let trial and error take its course.

More
26 Oct 2012 09:19 #555842 by turboguzzi
get yourself a copy of "Sportbike Performance Handbook"

its a good all around intro

www.amazon.com/Sportbike-Performance-Han...rkshop/dp/0760331839