• Kuro
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Designer.
More
23 Aug 2012 10:55 - 23 Aug 2012 10:56 #544295 by Kuro
Bought a lemon. was created by Kuro
Hi,

My name is Kieran and I live in Melbourne Australia. I own a 1980 KZ200 A3.

I bought it early 2009ish? and well I still haven't fixed it. It's sat in my back yard a few years, the engine was rebuilt kinda... And then for another few months a friend offered to work on it. I decided to get it running again as it's just a waste of space otherwise.

A bit more detail:
I took it in for a roadworthy and was given a long list of things to repair already having spent too much for it in the first place...

After seeing the list of problems I decided I could fix most of them with my brothers help.
We've replaced the bearings. front hub, rear hub and swing arm. Changed the tail light over and done a few other things. It constantly fouled the plugs and I was told the motor had to be rebuilt to fix it. So I've had the cylinder bored out and a new piston installed along with a new gasket kit for the top end. And well since then we've never been able to get it started.

I saw there are a few other KZ200 owners on here so I decided to join here to get some advice.

So yeah that's about it.

Cheers,
Kieran

Here's a pic back from 2009 after a few things had been fixed. (before the motor was rebuilt)
Last edit: 23 Aug 2012 10:56 by Kuro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2012 11:58 #544301 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Bought a lemon.
First things to check:

Spark
Compression
Fuel

You need all 3.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Aug 2012 12:49 #544308 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bought a lemon.
Welcome to z-jungle B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
23 Aug 2012 13:19 #544313 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Bought a lemon.
:laugh: I think lemon is more common on new vehicles. Your KZ200 is just old and needs love :)

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
23 Aug 2012 15:20 #544329 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Bought a lemon.

OldSchoolZ wrote: :laugh: I think lemon is more common on new vehicles. Your KZ200 is just old and needs love :)

+1

Not to mention, every time I hear "bored out" that usually means it's time for a replacement cylinder. lol

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
23 Aug 2012 20:18 #544376 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Bought a lemon.
Kuro, stick with it, it'll be worth your while in satisfaction. You at least had a great start by keeping it in the house.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Aug 2012 20:24 #544379 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Bought a lemon.
welcome...as mentioned...does it have a spark...is it getting fuel......does it have compression .....these in that order go BOOM boom Boom....

nice enough little bike...all there....why quit now...you will get it

be very specific on the question/problem ...and folks here can help you for sure

welcome

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Aug 2012 22:27 #544408 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Bought a lemon.
Anything done to the head? Valve job, or anything? Is the valve clearance and cam timing set correctly? Definitely check compression first, make sure that its within service limits.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Aug 2012 22:43 #544410 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bought a lemon.
Patton always says when life hands you a lemon bring it over to his place,he always has plenty of this on hand!

Attachment imagesCAZIBEYN.jpg not found

And make a party of it! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

• Kuro
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Designer.
More
09 Sep 2012 04:28 - 09 Sep 2012 04:36 #547571 by Kuro
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks everyone for your comments sorry for the belated reply.

Kidkawie wrote: First things to check:

Spark
Compression
Fuel

You need all 3.

Motor Head wrote: Anything done to the head? Valve job, or anything? Is the valve clearance and cam timing set correctly? Definitely check compression first, make sure that its within service limits.

Spark: The SLA battery I have is flat I'm looking at chargers atm. The contacts have been changed along with a new lead for the plug.
Compression: The compression is good now. I tested it before and after the rebuild, now it is within factory limits.
Fuel: It's a bit iffy... I'm trying to source parts for a carb rebuild it's quite hard to find NOS or NRP items for it. I think I might have a work around for some of the parts just need conformation from some of you guys that it will work.
Valves and timing: I tested the valves with the petrol leak test in the upturned head method they seemed to be fine. As for timing I'm not too sure I believe the cam chain was replaced by my brother one evening while I was away during the rebuild.

wireman wrote: Welcome to z-jungle B)

Thanks mate :)

OldSchoolZ wrote: :laugh: I think lemon is more common on new vehicles. Your KZ200 is just old and needs love :)

Kidkawie wrote:

+1

Not to mention, every time I hear "bored out" that usually means it's time for a replacement cylinder. lol

Yes quite right it's a TLC project for sure. I bought it "as working" cough cough. And I hope it'd doesn't need to be taken apart again. I'll change the title to Re: Bought a [strike]lemon[/strike] TLC project. :P

Bozo wrote: Kuro, stick with it, it'll be worth your while in satisfaction. You at least had a great start by keeping it in the house.

Ha yes I know, nice and warm in winter. I left a few suspicious cracks in the tiles. :whistle:

trianglelaguna wrote: welcome...as mentioned...does it have a spark...is it getting fuel......does it have compression .....these in that order go BOOM boom Boom....

nice enough little bike...all there....why quit now...you will get it

be very specific on the question/problem ...and folks here can help you for sure

welcome

I'm not going to quit on it now. :P It's worth shit all now, I may as well get it running and ride it for a while. I'll try to be as specific as I can be. I'm a kinda noob at all of this.

wireman wrote: Patton always says when life hands you a lemon bring it over to his place,he always has plenty of this on hand!

Attachment imagesCAZIBEYN.jpg not found

And make a party of it! :woohoo:

Ha yeah, I'm sure I'll have a few once I get this running.

Okay this is what I've done recently. I've take apart and ultrasonic clean the carb. It's got a bit of the dirt and grime out of it but I really need a new float bowl seal as the old one has deformed into the bowl chamber and interferes with the travel of the float. I've found this kit for the earlier KZ200 model A1/A2 but I have a post 1979 model 1980 KZ200 A3. Apparently Keyster isn't making the kit for the A3 anymore.

Now I've managed to get a scan of the parts for the KZ200 carbs for both models (See attached images) and the only differences I can find between them is the pilot jet sizing, spring, jet needle and the valve. Is this correct? or am I missing something? So I could just order the kit and use the other parts correct?

And I'm looking at chargers online on eBay I currently have a small SLA batter but I'd like to get a charger that could be compatible with a Lithium battery in the future. Any suggestions? I'd like to spend around $100USD. Any recommendations?

After I get the carb working and the battery charger I'll test the spark again and I'll check the timing if I can remember how. :side:

Cheers,
Kieran
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 04:36 by Kuro. Reason: Formatting and links

More
09 Sep 2012 07:10 - 09 Sep 2012 07:14 #547573 by Patton
Free service manual download:
www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/47...test-download#472613

When recently downloading this manual, screen stayed completely blank for almost 8 minutes, as if nothing at all was happening, then the manual suddenly appeared out of nowhere on the screen.

A KZ200 isn't listed at kawasaki.com

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KZ200

www.kzrider.com/gallery/kz-200

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=1980%20k...xlR9fqpY-WA9yLdiFRfg

If not already done, there's a plethora of sites to be found by Googling KZ200.

Is the carb a manual slide or CV?

Is the ignition points or electronic?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 07:14 by Patton.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Sep 2012 12:19 #547592 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Bought a lemon.
did'nt those 200's come with pedals

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife