'80 KZ750 in Missouri

More
13 Nov 2011 23:55 - 14 Nov 2011 00:00 #488379 by JR
Replied by JR on topic '80 KZ750 in Missouri

PipeDreams wrote: Secondaries were the stock 125. Couldn't find numbers on primaries maybe I'm blind. I'll double check.

Float levels will be double checked on next carb disassembly. This could definitely be the case. Mechanically, they lined up but I know that isn't thorough enough. I'll run through the other things you mentioned as well.

Also, this may be a dumb question but what is the purpose of the plastic stops that sit next to the jets in the carb body? I'll upload a picture if you're not sure what I'm speaking of.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure how the LTD carbs differ from those on my E1 or if here is a difference. If your carbs are stock then they are Keihin CV34s and that secondary main @ 125 is to small for running pods. Motorhead is right and if you can get an airbox it will be easier. If not then I would suggest getting larger secondary main and going 135 or 140 which is what I had when I had K&N pods. Your primary main if stock will be 62. You can bump that to 68 or 70. I dont think your needle will be adjustable - at least mine is not. I got jets at Z1enterprises.com. go to the site and type "keihin in the search box. They may not list the smaller jest - if you need them contact them. Good guys. I have a 4 into 1 exhaust but I'm thinking from your picture that you have a 4 into 2 so the above are just suggestions :)
Proper fuel level in the float bowls is really critical. Much more important than the float height. Do a search for "clear tube method".
That white plastic or neoprene or whatever it is plug you described covers the pilot jet which gets fuel from a bleed off the primary main.
When I got my 750 years ago I had to go through the carbs 3 or 4 times before I got everything right. Dont forget the transition holes. Look in to that end of the carbs which connect to to motor. Lift the throttle flap. Look up to find 3 tiny holes just about where the flap closes.
Oh, and check the diaphragms for holes

good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 14 Nov 2011 00:00 by JR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
14 Nov 2011 02:55 #488404 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic '80 KZ750 in Missouri
Hello and welcome. Glad to see you are making progress on your bike. A lot of us run pods successfully on CV carbs, so don't get discouraged by they many posts on them. It can be tricky to get them tuned properly, but it is not impossible. If you are not interested in running pods, I have the stock airbox, boots, and springs from my E3. They should be the same as the stock parts for your model, but I can double check if you are interested in taking them off my hands.

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
14 Nov 2011 18:36 #488474 by huber
Replied by huber on topic '80 KZ750 in Missouri
What part of Missouri are you from?

Little south of STL here