New rider, 1980 KZ750H first bike ever

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
27 Sep 2011 13:23 #479963 by Kawasaki_Mike
Replied by Kawasaki_Mike on topic New rider, 1980 KZ750H first bike ever

martin_csr wrote: Have you done the seat yet? If not here's one how-to w pics & links n stuff. Seat cover stuff

Thanks for the link Martin, I haven't had time to do the seat yet so it will probably be a winter project. And with the weather coming here in Alberta, that will likely be soon. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
27 Sep 2011 13:24 #479964 by Kawasaki_Mike

riverroad wrote: Nice bike for a first bike!
I've been riding pretty much most of my life, and the one thing that I think is most important to share with you, is that now you MUST assume that everybody's out to get you. You know for sure that that dude sitting at the intersection up ahead is waiting there just so he can pull out in front of you. Or the old lady in the car next to you is about to run you off of the road.
Because that's exactly how it happens. About six weeks ago, I was riding down a two lane highway, no traffic in front of me or ahead of me. There was a car sitting at the next pull out. It was as if she was thinking, "wait until I see the whites of his eyes, then pull out". Because that's what she did. I got close enough to see that she was looking me right in the eyes, then she goosed it. I hit the brakes hard and barely made it around the back of her car. I've had lots of close calls just like that. But sometimes they make the situation even worse by realizing their mistake and slamming on the brakes. So just beware of that.

Excellent advice, much appreciated. :)

More
27 Sep 2011 13:25 - 27 Sep 2011 13:27 #479965 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic New rider, 1980 KZ750H first bike ever
I miss my 80 750H. It did seem at first like the RPMs were a little high at highway speeds, but after you get used to it and realizet that the bike likes a little higher rpms, you'll love it. Mine really came alive over 6k, although I didn't drive it hard that often. I used mine as a commute to work (100 mi/day) at 55 mph. Good gas mileage too. As for power, yes, I always kind of thought she was a bit peppy for a 750, considering it was 30 yrs old. I bet it could hang with my 1100 shadow easily.

Any chance you could get a sound clip or video clip of what it sounds like with those pipes???? I'm curious...
Last edit: 27 Sep 2011 13:27 by apbling.

More
27 Sep 2011 13:33 #479968 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic New rider, 1980 KZ750H first bike ever
Nice first Bike. doesnt take long to get the fever. the advice i got years back from my older brother was "if you wait on the weatherman you will never ride" and "assume they don't see you cause even if they do they don't care"

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
27 Sep 2011 13:37 #479971 by Kawasaki_Mike

apbling wrote: I miss my 80 750H. It did seem at first like the RPMs were a little high at highway speeds, but after you get used to it and realizet that the bike likes a little higher rpms, you'll love it. Mine really came alive over 6k, although I didn't drive it hard that often. I used mine as a commute to work (100 mi/day) at 55 mph. Good gas mileage too. As for power, yes, I always kind of thought she was a bit peppy for a 750, considering it was 30 yrs old. I bet it could hang with my 1100 shadow easily.

Any chance you could get a sound clip or video clip of what it sounds like with those pipes???? I'm curious...

Yup, I could try to get that done. I can tell you that they sound way better than the stock ones for sure. And way better than the pipes on my new S83, those things are whisper quiet especially at a standstill even when you rev the throttle a bit. From what the guy who sold me the bike said they are custom fabricated pipes of some sort that his father-in-law(who owned the bike before him) made and stuck on. I can take a couple closeer up pics of them too if you like.

More
27 Sep 2011 18:02 #480009 by mike_eubank
Replied by mike_eubank on topic New rider, 1980 KZ750H first bike ever
Clean-looking bike!!

How does she feel on long rides? Im 6'3" and the stock foot controls dont seem like theyd be comfortable on long rides (which I wanna take quite a few of!)

Ive got an '82 model 750 LTD and Ive noticed that at highway speeds, it feels like there should be another gear.

If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is NOT for you.

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
28 Sep 2011 23:07 #480331 by Kawasaki_Mike

mike_eubank wrote: Clean-looking bike!!

How does she feel on long rides? Im 6'3" and the stock foot controls dont seem like theyd be comfortable on long rides (which I wanna take quite a few of!)

Ive got an '82 model 750 LTD and Ive noticed that at highway speeds, it feels like there should be another gear.

The 750 LTD actually feels pretty good on long rides. I felt the same way about hiway speeds with my '80 version too. So much so that I thought for sure it wasn't even going into 5th gear. ;) As mentioned above you get used to it and these engines seem like they enjoy the high revs, and once you know that you can really have some fun.

More
28 Sep 2011 23:23 #480344 by jramsey89
Replied by jramsey89 on topic New rider, 1980 KZ750H first bike ever
I saw this quote somewhere and thought it fitting here
"You start out motorcycling with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck"....

Unfortunately sometimes neither one will help. I love old kz's man. Have fun with it and listen to all the good advice given here. :)

More
01 Oct 2011 00:36 #480719 by Lone Wolf
Replied by Lone Wolf on topic New rider, 1980 KZ750H first bike ever

Proxy wrote: My late uncle wrote this. LINK

Be safe, ride well!

Good link & info covered by msf course.

1982 KZ750M