Hi all!

• prirace
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, Y2K Ducati 748,
More
01 May 2011 23:47 #448193 by prirace
Hi all! was created by prirace
Great site......... I canyon raced a highly modified 1973 Z1 back in the years (1978-86)
I've found a 1974 Z1 locally and looking to buy and build it the same way my last one was which was exactly like Harry Klinzman's only I finished mine 2 years prior to that very Vetter bike. You see, I knew both Harry Klinzman and Harry Mallett during that erra. I had one of the very first Bassani exhausts of that kind well before the Vetter bike was built. I look forward to getting this bike and duping my old one again, only this time I think I will give it both paint sceems, Racecrafters and Vetter. I am currently duplicating Wes Cooley's 1978 championship GS1000E. So far its coming along exceptionally well.

C. Cancelli

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2011 23:50 #448194 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic Hi all!
PICS we need PICS

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

More
02 May 2011 00:12 #448198 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Hi all!
Yea...pics...a lot of pics as you go. Harry Mallet had some great looking and running bikes. Didn't he build up a black Z1R or was it a MK11? I have a magazine article of that bike around here somewhere. I know it's in the house but that's about as close as I can get but it was a great looking bike.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• prirace
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 May 2011 02:26 #448215 by prirace
Replied by prirace on topic Hi all!
I'll try and post sme pics of the Suzuki but as I stated, I have not yet made the purchase of the Z1 to build. The bike you speek of was a MKII and I had the pleasure of riding that bike one afternoon. Harry did some beautiful chassis work then however his swing arms and motor work were not exactly up to par. Harry Klinzman's sold me his Performance Works swing arm around 1981 and I found out why very quickly, it didn't work. It flexed worse than a stock arm and this was a caged, square tube unit. The problem was the wall thickness was too thin and the cage tubing to small, 3/8 diameter if my memmory serves me right. I guess he was trying to save weight but it just didn't work, very cool looking but flexed like rubber. In riding the beautiful MKII I was surprised in the lack of power. Oh it ran nicely and all but expected a harder pull but it wasn't there. My old Z1 had a bit more and I had quite mild cams in it that didnt require clearancing or shim under bucket. Harry Mallett and I were good freinds and spent many after rides at a place called The Sage Brush Cantina in Calabasas, Ca. where we sipped Coronas and chased women. I mean, this was back in the very early 80's, I even road with Jay Leno and later worked on a couple of his cars one being a Lambo Espada. Wow! It was just before he started sitting in for Johnny Carson back when he was just doing stand-up and still very approchable but thats a whole different story. I on the other hand own and ran my own Sportbike shop on Van Nuys Blvd. right across the street from a Racecrafters store. Man, what flashbacks, a lot of them, wow!

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 May 2011 02:50 #448217 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Hi all!
welcome to z-jungle B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
02 May 2011 03:44 #448219 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Hi all!
Welcome prirace...I also am looking forward to the photos :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

The following user(s) said Thank You: trianglelaguna

More
02 May 2011 09:59 #448236 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Hi all!
welcome,
you must have a huge stash of pics.share some when you can.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 May 2011 13:11 - 02 May 2011 15:31 #448263 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Hi all!
wow killer stories...where are you now...go you ride up for the GP's...i was changing tires up the 101 in S.L.O town , around that time and was a 18 yr old with a great 73 Z-1...i also am rebuiling my youth with these things....i also got to see Wes's bike a few times as Mr Vetter kept it local and we knew some folks renting from him...the girl took us into a shop one night and there was a dream bike and a mystery ship just sitting there.....

i also got to score two complete MKII body sets left over at the shop i changed tires at...when the ten ,twelve KZ1000 MKII & A-4 were bought to strip and make the Mystery ships...

i also loved to canyon race and we had some awesome roads around San Luis and out to port San Luis...

I flashed back to the Mid 80's reading your stuff....thnaks...i am all keyed up....man those were great days to be young and on a KZ.....

Welcome and please...many pictures.......

let me know if you need anything i have boxes of little extra stuff

Welcome again...PICTURES!!!!

Craig ..up in monterey

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2011 15:31 by trianglelaguna.

• prirace
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2011 02:39 #448486 by prirace
Wow! This is the site! You guys are truly into it. I was lying about everything! No just kidding...... Ha! I wish I had kept some of the photos especally of my Z1. I will check with the family to see if anyone has any pix of those days. I owned "the crest" back then (Hwy 2)and arguably one of the fastest and or craziest (which ever you prefer) canyon scrafers of the Los Angeles basin. Aside from being an ace tuner and shop owner I was known by many of whom I have never seen before as my Z1 was truly an icon. I was also a Saturday morning special guest on a LA talk radio show called "Center Stand" which was strictly for bikers. I was the answer man for those who called in with mechanical issues. One of my first jobs out of high school was wrenching for Burbank Kawasaki, Carry Andrews was service manager it was just the two of us in service. Small place but we had a CHP contract and no shortage of work, I wore out a few air wratchets there for sure. Craig in Monterey, I am glad to hear from you we have a lot in common for sure. Yes, I did ride to Laguna Seca every year from 1977 on. That year the owner of Burbank Kawai rented a small Sesna and flew us up to pit for Carry and I've been going ever since. In 1988 my bike shop crew and I planned a ride to Laguna Seca for the race. We were to leave right after work but we were so busy servicing bikes for so many going to the race I wasn't able to leave with my crew at closing. It wasn't until midnight that I was able to finally hit the road on my then modified Ducati 750 Paso. I think the record still stands as I pulled into the race track at 4:10 am from Van Nuys which is in the San Fernando Valley some 365 miles away. I rode straight up 99 in the dark with the throttle pegged most of the way keeping the needle between 120 and 130. My neck and shoulders were so stiff from laying on the tank the whole way. I remember about 1 am an old farm truck pulled out onto 99 from a side street in front of me at about 10 mph heading north as I was, I drifted over into the south bound left lane never letting up and passed him doing a buck twenty. I'm sure he never saw me until I passed him just a few feet from his door. I stopped for gas shortly after and found that I had lost the tail piece, must have vibrated off.
Anyway, I am up in Oregon now operating an engineering and development site designing go faster products for euro sports cars mostly but get a few bike bits in once in awhile too. I did a slip-on undertail system for the 06-07 ZX10-R back when they were new. I sold quite a few to local dealers and a couple of dozen on youtube (Kawasaki ZX10-R exhaust)the unmistakable triple undertail muffler design by Motocancelli.net also on the site.
Its great chatting with you guys, the flashbacks are awesome! 57 now and feeling groovy?.....

More
03 May 2011 10:56 #448533 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Hi all!
Welcome!

Could you please put some spaces in your reply so us old gogies can read it? :whistle:

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• prirace
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2011 18:13 #448593 by prirace
100_0941.JPG

• prirace
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2011 18:13 #448594 by prirace

Attachment 100_0941.JPG not found

Attachments: