New member and New bike rider

More
04 Jul 2010 07:53 #380123 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic New member and New bike rider
X2

Mark Wing wrote:

Welcome to KZR. Hope your planning on a riding safety coarse. And we like pix of any bike in any shape.

Mark

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2010 22:18 #380309 by LivingDead
Replied by LivingDead on topic New member and New bike rider
dragsta wrote:

you will probably need to remove the carbs and run guitar string though the idle and main jets to get the gunk out of them.

the riders course is important but even so, you will be ill equipped to deal with the infinite hazards of riding a street bike. the greatest danger are cars turning into your path. take nothing for granted.

Today I actually had someone reverse out of their driveway and didnt even see me.

More
04 Jul 2010 22:32 #380310 by LivingDead
The blinkers dont work, headlight isnt bright at all, and the battery doesnt charge. Other than that the bike is good. The carbs need to be cleaned and rebuilt but that goes without saying.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
05 Jul 2010 00:46 #380318 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic New member and New bike rider
the reason the turn signals dont work is that the guardian angle you've had since childhood disabled them to save your life.:woohoo: ..lol...actually it might be true...:blink:

others will spit fire when they see i wrote this on a learning riders thread ...but...

IN MY OPINION!!!!

turn signals are death to motorcycle riders....i disable mine right away on any bike i own/ride...if by chance i was to hit it with your hand you will not know and you will be driving down the road telling grandma...who is driving a 5000 pound crown vic oncoming at say 45 mph.....that you are gonna turn and that she now has the right of way....think i'm kiding..i see riders all the time driving on long with their signal left on....so basicaly they are "signaling" to cars without knowing what the cars think that signal means.....death....if a driver can't see my hand signals then either i have no business on a bike or they would not have seen a flare gun!!!!!

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
05 Jul 2010 04:36 #380335 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic New member and New bike rider
When I buy a bike I disconnect the wires and spray wd40 in the connectors before I try and start the bike.

I also drain the gas and put fresh gas and seafoam in the tank. I then open the drain screws on the carbs and make sure the fresh gas and seafoam has filled the bowls.

Next day or several hours later pull the carbs.

The sea foam in the bowls will help a lot to loosen the crud. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
05 Jul 2010 05:21 - 05 Jul 2010 05:21 #380338 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic New member and New bike rider
Welcome to the KZR Nation where you and your bike belong. Great to have your here.

If you are able to go for a ride your bike is 95% solid.

As roy-b-boy-b suggests, lights and battery charging are nearly always a question of poor or intermittent contacts and sometimes compromized electrical insulation of wires... no biggy here. We can talk you through all of that.

You need a Manual ASAP... don't ask how I found out. :blush:

Best of success,
Bill

PS
Please add your year, model number and location to your signature to get the very best responses... and yes, it's considered real friendly too.
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 05 Jul 2010 05:21 by bill_wilcox100.

More
05 Jul 2010 16:10 #380436 by LivingDead
When i give it gas it stays on but right when i let off it dies and i have to jump it to get it started again. It has a brand new battery. Ive been searching the forums on here and im thinking it isnt the alternator but still looking into it.

More
05 Jul 2010 19:23 #380479 by LivingDead
I bought another 440LTD today for $30 as a parts bike. It turns over but doesnt start. Im gonna try and diagnose my charging problem and see if i can use the parts off that parts bike.

More
05 Jul 2010 20:49 #380510 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New member and New bike rider
trianglelaguna wrote:

i disable mine right away on any bike i own/ride...if a driver can't see my hand signals then either i have no business on a bike or they would not have seen a flare gun!!!!!

Sorry, but I don't buy this one. Most cagers, especially little old grandmas in their Crown Vics and all the foriegners in my area, don't have a clue about hand signals or what they mean. Further, the odds of a cager seeing or understanding hand signals at night are pretty much zero. I have more confidence in my own ability not to accidentally flip on turn signals without realizing it than I do in cagers seeing and understanding hand signals. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Jul 2010 04:54 - 06 Jul 2010 04:55 #380542 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic New member and New bike rider
LivingDead wrote:

When i give it gas it stays on but right when i let off it dies and i have to jump it to get it started again. It has a brand new battery. I’ve been searching the forums on here and I’m thinking it isn’t the alternator but still looking into it.

Disclaimer: "I have only worked on my own KZ650-B1 so if I say something incorrect just flush it and wait for more knowledgeable members to pipe in".

So the main symptom at this time is "it won't idle". Let's see if we can eliminate the Electrical system or the Fuel system as the main cause.

1 - Disconnect any un-necessary electrical loads... remove the Head Light and Tail Light fuses (if like my KZ650 if not disconnect the appropriate connectors) and test again:

2 - If there is no change in the symptoms then the Electircals are probably not you main problem (but could be a secondary problem at this time) and you probably have a Carburetor problem and probably in the Idle circuit. Be prepared to do the Idle Speed adjustment as per your Manual and do the Air/Fuel Ratio adjustment on your carbs.

3 - It there is a change in the symptoms then the carbs are probably not you main problem (but could be a secondary problem at this time) and you probably have an Electrical problem either on the Charging System side and or on the load side (opens, shorts, intermittents or faulty components like Coils, High Tension Wires, Spark Plugs, etc.

Well that should get you started.

Best of success, :)
Bill

PS
Don't forget to update your signature.
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 06 Jul 2010 04:55 by bill_wilcox100.