Hello fellow KZ Riders

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
08 Apr 2006 22:22 #37972 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Hello fellow KZ Riders
Welcome to KZr Derail!

Judging from looks alone, it appears that all your bike needs is a new rear tire and a headlight(?) to be road worthy.
Then add on the side covers and missing tank badges/emblems, and she'll be a right pretty bike! B)

So, what's the history on your "new to you" bike?
Rescued from someones garage/barn/yard?
Purchased from a friend?

If it has been sitting for some time, I'd suggest using the search function here. It will lead you to lots of valuable info in several threads on bringing a bike out of storage or getting a neglected bike running again. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2006 17:59 #38133 by Derail
Replied by Derail on topic Hello fellow KZ Riders
N0NB wrote:

Derail wrote:

My ser# on the engine is KZ650b-01---- so I assume it's a B1. Thanks for all you help!

Welcome, Derail (another railroader I assume?)

One can't tell directly from the serial number exactly what model the bike is beyond a B, C, D, etc. The only way to determine the exactly model range is to determine which range the factory shows your serial number to fall into. For example, the B2A begins at frame number KZ650B-032200, the B3 begins at KZ650B-046201, etc.

The C, D, E, and F models have their own ranges, presumably starting with frame number 000001 as my manual shows the E and F models do.

In 1981 model year all the VIN numbers changed to the ISO 17 digit ones now in use. This is why services like CarFAX can only search VIN records back to 1981.

On the steering head there should be a plastic sticker that has the VIN printed on it. It will also have the month and year of manufacture on it as well. The VIN is stamped into the steering head itself, but not the manufacture date. My 1979 650 SR shows a manufacture date of 10/78. Most likely, production runs for a given year began in September or October of the previous year.

HTH

- Nate >>

Hey there Nate, you assume correctly, I work for CPR as a conductor. Thanks for clarifying this for me. I know for sure that it is a B1.

Mike

Post edited by: derail, at: 2006/04/09 21:01

More
09 Apr 2006 18:52 #38153 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Hello fellow KZ Riders
Welcome aboard Derail!
You've come to the right place to get the info and advice you might seek for your new project.
Enjoy the ride. :cheer:

More
10 Apr 2006 08:14 #38265 by Derail
Replied by Derail on topic Hello fellow KZ Riders
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

Welcome to KZr Derail!

Judging from looks alone, it appears that all your bike needs is a new rear tire and a headlight(?) to be road worthy.
Then add on the side covers and missing tank badges/emblems, and she'll be a right pretty bike! B)

So, what's the history on your "new to you" bike?
Rescued from someones garage/barn/yard?
Purchased from a friend?

If it has been sitting for some time, I'd suggest using the search function here. It will lead you to lots of valuable info in several threads on bringing a bike out of storage or getting a neglected bike running again. :)

Well, I don't have too much history on it, I know the previous owner laid it down last simmer (hence the broken headlight). The frame has been inspected and measured so everything is straight adn balanced. there are some electical issues I need to work out, such as headlights keep burning out after 10 min and the signal light system. The tank and rear fender were spray painted a silver/grey color...so that needs to be stripped and re-painted. Lot's of work to do, Gas has been kind enough to send me a pile of doc's to help me through me quest. Also judging by the welcome I have received here, I'm sure that if I get stuck someone will be there with some helpful advice!

More
10 Apr 2006 20:11 #38492 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Hello fellow KZ Riders
Derail wrote:

Hey there Nate, you assume correctly, I work for CPR as a conductor. Thanks for clarifying this for me. I know for sure that it is a B1.

Mike

Very well! I work as a telecom tech (radios, computers, phones, etc.) for UPRR.

Is there a story behind 'derail'? :whistle: :evil:

- Nate >>

Post edited by: n0nb, at: 2006/04/10 23:12

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )