Newbie from NE

More
12 Mar 2010 22:26 #353020 by ajspellm
Newbie from NE was created by ajspellm
Hey guys,
I bought a 1982 kz550 ltd about a year ago and have been slowly but not successfully fixing it. I bought it running somewhat rough from a guy who had rebuilt the motor. The carbs needed to be rebuilt and synchronized so I bought a synchronizer and rebuilt the carbs. I have been having problems with it not starting though. I think I have the carbs done properly and I can tell it is getting gas but it wont fire. Not sure what else I should be looking at but I am wanting to give up on this project. I want to keep the bike as my expedition doesnt get he best mileage and it is almost riding time out. Any suggestions on what to look at next?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
12 Mar 2010 23:04 #353022 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Newbie from NE
Time to look at the ignition and electrical system. Remember that you need four things to make an internal combustion engine run. Fuel, air, compression, and spark. You already have air, and assuming that the rebuild was correct, then you should have fuel and compression. Now we need to make sure that the spark is correct.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
13 Mar 2010 05:07 #353048 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Newbie from NE
have you tuned it up? what part of nebraska are you in? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Mar 2010 06:37 #353060 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Newbie from NE
I'll echo Plummen's questions, where at is you exactly? Somebody may be fairly close to you to help out.

A compression test is in order as it's possible that your valve clearances could be getting tight which would hurt starting.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
13 Mar 2010 07:00 - 13 Mar 2010 07:02 #353064 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Newbie from NE
Follow the above advise for sure.... ;)

If it gets down to the nitty gritty on these KZ550... Loudhvx is the one to PM... They guy just knows these 550's not to mention his knowledge in electrical/electronics is whacked! B)

Welcome!

OMR

Oh BTW, another Nebraskan (Plummen)... greaaaaaaaaaaat! Quick all, run for the hills :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just n case....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2010 07:02 by Old Man Rock.

More
13 Mar 2010 07:04 #353066 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Newbie from NE
Ah hell, might as well include this in case you need it....

In your profile signature, add exact date/model and other pertinent info... Will help in future postings... ;)

Again, welcome!

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2010 07:31 #353073 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Newbie from NE
Welcome.
Try swapping the green and black coil wires around. If they are reversed you will still get spark, but at the wrong time. Swapping them wont hurt, and she may just surprise you!

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
13 Mar 2010 09:02 #353087 by ajspellm
Replied by ajspellm on topic Newbie from NE
I am in Omaha. I thought about checking all that but really had no idea where to being with the spark. I have a haynes manual but didnt have it with me yesterday. I am moving garages today so I was wanting to get it running so I didnt have to push it to the new one lol. It nots very far but still dont want to have to push. I was maybe going to check the plugs today and see how they were as I have had it for a year and have not checked it at all. I will try and check the spark and see whats going on with that. Thanks for the all the help guys. Its nice being on a forum where you dont get yelled at for asking things that have already been asked. People actually help here.

More
13 Mar 2010 09:13 #353088 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Newbie from NE
Check your plugs as planned, might just be a fouled plug or two keeping her from starting up. If you find a fouled plug (or more) replace them and keep an eye on them. Might be that you're running a little on the rich side, which will foul the plugs in a hurry, but might just be a carb adjustment to fix.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
13 Mar 2010 09:22 #353091 by ajspellm
It also ran alright last year but had trouble starting. Then at the end of the riding season I tore the carbs out and pulled everything apart and cleaned it, I could never get it running the same way. Last year I would have problems with it starting and it would always kind of bog down while driving like it was missing or something. I was never real comfortable with it as I was afraid if I shut it down it would not start back up. It also seemed like it would run really hot and the clutch seemed to be slipping. I think I bought a bigger project then I had anticipated.

More
13 Mar 2010 09:35 #353092 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Newbie from NE
Don't give up on the girl yet!!!

If you're uncertain about what's wrong follow this checklist and you'll be riding trouble free in no time!

1. Check compression. If your compression is out of whack you'll have a hell of time getting her running right.

2. Check valve clearances. Out of spec valves can mimick carb issues and drive you crazy trying to get them sorted out.

3. Replace plugs, verify timing is accurate (if you have electronic ignition this isn't an issue), and check voltage at the coils (turn key and kill switch on without starting bike, you should have very close to the same voltage at your coil as you do at your battery).

4. Sync carbs and fine tune carb adjustments.

Once you go through these things you should be tearing up the streets in no time!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
13 Mar 2010 21:33 #353205 by ajspellm
You have any tips on checking the compression? I am going to go buy a gauge tomorrow but am still unclear on what all to do. I think I just hook the gauge up to my cylinder while unscrewing all of the spark plugs but having them against the cylinder so they dont mess the coils up? Or do I just do one at a time and keep the others in while doing this? I am just going to go to harbor freight for my gauge as they have one for like 10 bucks. Will this do?