First hello and question about KZ440 as first bike

More
25 Sep 2009 11:02 #323857 by 1shot
Haven't looked for the owner's manual yet. Noticed the compartment I think as it had a list of daily checks on it, but it was late and I didn't look closely at it. I have downloaded the factory manual for reference as well. I'll ask on the technical forum as well, but do you know if there is a upgrade I can do with the headlight? Can I change it out for a quartz halogen?

Oh, by the way, this bike does have the airbox on it. the mounting screw tabs are broken off so he had it duct taped to hold it on, but I can probably come up with a way to clamp or screw it on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2009 17:56 #324136 by wminmi
I want to say mine was a '77 KZ400....may have been a '78....either way, VERY fun little bike!!

As mentioned earlier, highway riding leaves a little to be desired as headwinds REALLY hindered mine. 55mph cruising though was EXCELLENT!!!

I would suggest trying to keep the stock airbox if possible. Pod style filters work, and I'm sure they can be tuned to run very well with them, but I could never get mine tuned so I went back to the stock box.

As for the headlight, I had a halogen in mine, worked great!

More
28 Sep 2009 14:21 #324492 by 1shot
Thanks, the plan is to leave the airbox as is but find a better way to fasten it on. Took the bike out with my wife, son and a friend who were all just learning to ride. Didn't take long and they were all driving around the parking lot very confidently.