• Thank you received: 19

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2006/05/16 12:02
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 08 Feb 2006 15:56 #22550

• superjohn
  • superjohn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey All!

wow! thanks for all the replys! lot's of good advice. i will definately take it easy for a while. i've ridden some dirt bikes and my friends 500 honda when i was in college in the early 14th century, but this is the biggest bike i've ever ridden. i am definately planning on taking the msf course.

i passed the written portion of my motorcycle endorsement yesterday. some good info there. i'll take the driving portion next month. i hope to find a place to practice a little between now and then.

it's kind of tough, because i live way out in the booonies of western nebraska. the majority of the streets aren't even paved in our little unincorporated town! also, i'm the local sheriff, so i'm a little hesitant to flagrantly violate the law by riding on public streets without my license. but since i am the only cop in the whole county...;)

on the up side, lots of empty back roads and hiways to ride on! just no parking lots. there's nothing to park in front of! lol

we're on our way to pick up the bike tomorrow. i'll let you guys know how it goes. thanks again, rubber side down.

john

ps: i want to ride with that guy with all the hot chicks in his photo! being divorced rocks! later.

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 08 Feb 2006 17:15 #22567

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Welcome John. Sounds like you got a good deal.
Have fun and ride safely. B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 08 Feb 2006 19:32 #22627

• vic44139
  • User
Welcome aboard. 79 ST's are a great bike. More than enough power and size to hual your butt around. I'm 45,6'1",and 260...it easily handles me and my wife. Enjoy dude.B)

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 10 Feb 2006 20:01 #23059

• Magoo
  • User
Luckily these bikes all come with atleast two, count em two, governers. One's in your right wrist and the other's between your ears.

Wait until atleast next summer to ditch the squad car for the KZ.

Magoo

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 10 Feb 2006 22:06 #23073

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr, John.

I didn't get a chance to see the bike in the ebay auction. But assuming it's complete, in running condition and in need of no major repairs, then I'd say you got a fair deal.
Most folks say $1 per CC is about the going rate for a complete running bike.

Like was stated, the MSF course is probably about the best thing going not only for new riders, but also for riders returning to the fun after a few years hiatus.

My wife took the MSF course in June of last year.
And although the only bike she had ridden prior to then was a 250(?) enduro about 20 years ago, she passed with flying colors!
She already had a bike sitting in the garage awaiting her that we had gotten from a co-worker of hers: a '96 VN750 Vulcan.
Granted, it's just a tad :whistle: bigger than the Suzuki 250 the MSF course provided.

My recommendation would be like was suggested after you've completed the course, find a paved area without traffic (parking lot at a local school for instance), and with another experienced rider along for instruction and encouragement, practice on your "new" bike there.
That's what I did with my wife on her Vulcan, and after 2 days each weekend for 3 weeks straight, she was not only comfortable with HER bike, but also felt confident enough to venture out into traffic.
Now I can't keep her away from her danged bike! :laugh:

Whatever route you take, I wish you the best of luck and an enjoyable time!

I almost forgot!
Like Mark said, we've all been where you're at right now. So don't be afraid to ask questions, we're all here to help. :)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 11 Feb 2006 05:28 #23094

• wireman
  • Visitor
what part of the boonies of nebraska are you in,ive been all over this god forsaken place but i keep ending up back in bellevue or louisville for some reason!bwaha:whistle:

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 11 Feb 2006 15:47 #23186

• superjohn
  • superjohn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Hey All!

someone asked what part of nebraska i'm from; i live in tryon nebraska, which is just northwest of north platte.

do people on the forum ever get together and ride?

john B)

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 11 Feb 2006 16:04 #23188

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Superjohn-welcome aboard.

Good to see one of the law enforcement brotherhood riding a Kbike instead of those big old hogs. Our local police chief is a friend of mine and he cut his teeth on a '74 Z1. He is supposed to take my 650 out for a rip and with my 810 kit (in progress) he will probably end up getting himself another one.

Just think, you could dress your shaftie like a police bike and be able to write off your purchase for income tax purposes....hhhmmmm-sounds like a good idea now doesn't it?

Keep your right hand connected to your brain and you should be fine.

Cheers-Colin Firth -Ontario Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 11 Feb 2006 21:27 #23277

• tfh903
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Welcome to the site SuperJohn, I'd like to see more law enforcement riding bikes. You do realize that it may be illegal for KZRIDERS to write fellow KZRIDERS any speeding tickets. We can't help that our bikes like to "fly" it's inherant to the models.

"do people on the forum ever get together and ride?"
I'v only been on the site a couple of months and a few of us in Texas got together back in January and went for a little ride. I would like to see more of that and maybe a National gathering somewhere in the middle of USA.
Be safe and carefull riding. At least if a little old lady pulls out in front of you , GIVE HER A TICKET!! TFH

i can't believe what i just did. oh, and hello. 11 Feb 2006 21:43 #23281

• wireman
  • Visitor
that would be me here in bellevue,if it ever gets warm and stays warm maybe we can take a spin.:whistle:

• Page: