Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bad Penny 16 Oct 2005 19:28 #2216

• Bud1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
PuGz wrote

I have one request you had the most complete kz650 site on the web. Please send some of the articles to stein so he can post them here. You will get credit and be loved for ever by the kz650 crowd.

Ooooooh! Yes! Yes!:woohoo: :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bad Penny 16 Oct 2005 20:47 #2244

• Murphyau
  • Murphyau's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

To answer some of the questions raised ...

-- Yes, I am still alive and still enjoying riding
-- The reference to a "bad penny" relates to old English saying that "A bad penny always turns up" implying you cant get rid of me.
-- The stable is still the same. My 1978 KZ650 B2 and a 2003 ZRX1200, both with a few mods. I did re-work another KZ650 F2 for my brother-in-law.
-- I'll see if I can find some of my old website files.

Post edited by: murphyau, at: 2005/10/16 23:49

Bad Penny 16 Oct 2005 20:59 #2247

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Welcome back Murph! I've been using the wayback machine to dig up some of your old website info. It's been some time, but alot of it is still there! www.archive.org/

I can't find your old URL at the moment, but this works, if you just put it in there.

Again, welcome back!

Bad Penny 16 Oct 2005 22:31 #2269

• Murphyau
  • User
Thanks Ron but as luck would have it, I found the back up CD with my website files. i'll see what is worth uploading.

Bad Penny 16 Oct 2005 23:19 #2272

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
Glad to see you back. Looking forward to your knowledge/experience. I was the one that emailed you last week.

Bad Penny 17 Oct 2005 13:52 #2369

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Murphyau wrote:

Thanks Ron but as luck would have it, I found the back up CD with my website files. i'll see what is worth uploading.

Perfect. The legend lives on.

Bad Penny 17 Oct 2005 18:37 #2416

• teachers
  • User
Welcome back Murph.

-Duane

Bad Penny 17 Oct 2005 19:07 #2429

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
It's been a while Steve. I believe last time was when I was looking forward to the summer season. Now it's the other way round :) Welcome.

Btw, I belive there are more than one way to interpret the "bad penny" expression.:lol:

Post edited by: ibsen22000, at: 2005/10/18 01:09

Bad Penny 18 Oct 2005 18:11 #2663

• arai59
  • Visitor
Welcome back mate ! Looks like summer is coming your way ! Glad your here.

Bad Penny 20 Oct 2005 10:32 #3002

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Well, it is great to know that the notorious Murphyau is still around. I figured you were probably hanging out with the ZRX crowd, and leaving us old KZ guys behind. (I must admit, Steve, if I had a ZRX I would be riding that and playing with it even more than I do my KZs -- progress is progress after all, and the ZRX is a truly superior modern bike.)

Do you ride the old KZ ever? Now that I have two fully operational bikes, it is hard to decide which to ride on any given day. Of course, both of mine are 25 years old, and have the same engineering and power, so it is mostly a question of whether I want to ride a black bike, or a silver one.

I am happy you have checked in, and I see you have already contributed a large amount of information for the knowledge base here. Many thanks, and please stay in touch.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Bad Penny 20 Oct 2005 14:27 #3032

• Murphyau
  • User
Yes, I still have the ZRX1200 and the KZ650. The KZ650 is only used for short rides around the neighbourhood now, while the ZRX is used for week-end away rides in the country.

I usually get away one week end a month on the ZRX. Typical week end trip would be around 1300 ~ 1800 kms (800 ~ 1100 mls).

Bad Penny 20 Jan 2024 01:52 #894196

• Murphyau
  • User
Well, here we are in January 2024. Where have all the years gone  . . . Over Xmas, I decided to upgrade my PC from Linux Mint 20.3 to Mint 21.3. and as I prefer to do a clean install, rather than an incremental upgrade, I wiped the HDD and started from scratch.

After the operating system was loaded, I restored my recent back-up files, and during that process I came across an old CD with some really old files on it, including an old password file I had quiet forgotten about.  And, guess what, it would seem that my KZR user-id and password still works.

A lot has happened since my last visit 19 years ago.  A lot of the old members I knew way back seem to have "disappeared",  although I do see some that some are still active, and it is especially pleasing to see that a "new" KZR generation is picking up where the old guard has left off.

I sold my ZRX1200 about 4 years ago with about 150,000 km on the clock.  It was a fantastic bike and never let me down, but it was probably in need of a complete strip down and re-build, which the gentleman I sold it to proceeded to do.  A 1224 over-bore, ZZR cams, a  6 speed transmission and USD forks gave it a new lease on life.  It already had a full Akrapovic exhaust, larger CVK 40mm carbs and reworked rear shocks.

I sold my KZ650 about 2 years ago because I very rarely rode it anymore and a friend wanted a "classic" to ride to the coffee shop every Sunday. 

In their places, I bought a new 2019 Ninja 1000 SX, which now has about 25,000 km.  No more carbs, or points, or marginal brakes or . . . .  

But just like my KZ650 and ZRX, I could not leave the N1K "stock".  It now also has a full Akrapovi exhaust, and custom ECU tune, RaceTech forks and rear shock, revised steering geometry and a few cosmetic changes.   Unfortunately, the 2019 N1K did not come in green, so it is a stealthy gross black.

Good luck to the new generation of KZR members,  the KZ, in its various forms, is a great platform to work on.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, SWest, Wookie58