Newbie from Houston TX

More
30 Dec 2007 17:00 #187022 by futurekzboy
Replied by futurekzboy on topic Newbie from Houston TX
rdgrnr wrote:

Take a look at the stock photos that are posted here under the KZInformation drop down. There are some good pics of what a Z1 should look like. The front forks look pre-78 and the front master is pre-78, but the rear has dual disc which should be drum style. The seat looks LTD also. I think maybe this might be two or more bikes combined...??

yea, you are right ...it doesnt look lke the pics posted but the numbers match up to a 73. Keep in mind the bike was built 35 years ago. Im sure the owner did some upgrades to it. Dual discs would be better stopping power than drums. I know the guy said he crashed it and rebuilt and painted it. So he may have put parts from other years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2007 17:05 #187023 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Newbie from Houston TX
I'm not trying to burst your bubble.. Good news is you have a 73 frame and motor(?) to work with. Now it's just a matter of collecting the correct year parts to restore it back to a true 73..(I couldn't read on the tag the mfg date).
There are many here with more knowledge of these than I do and they may be of more help in getting what you have there.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
30 Dec 2007 17:51 #187028 by 1982KZ1100D1
Replied by 1982KZ1100D1 on topic Newbie from Houston TX
futurekzboy wrote:

I actually thought the bike was in better shape when I offered him $500. After I saw it I changed my offer to $300. We will see what happens, it looks like it will have to be a total frame off resto. But it does have super low miles only 3300.

Keep in mind that with all the other parts that have been changed on the bike, the speedometer could have been changed also. It looks more like it was stored at the bottom of the ship channel rather than a carport. If it were me, I would offer to haul it off for free and maybe make a couple bucks selling parts off it but find another bike to put on the road.

More
31 Dec 2007 07:21 - 03 Dec 2008 20:37 #187091 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 20:37 by JMKZHI.

More
31 Dec 2007 10:21 #187118 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Newbie from Houston TX
IMHO, this bike will need a lot of work. Electricals, contacts, chain, frame, bolts, wheels, tires, etc. etc. Don't ask how I know. :blush:

I'm an older fart, sorry I meant seasoned rider, so I enjoy the wrenching just as much as the riding and I've done much more of the former than the latter. Let's not get into the $ for parts, tools, jigs, manuals etc. Who else orders a shiny new rectifier from Oregon on New Years Eve. :dry:

You're a young man and need to get out there and start building up great memories and experiences. Stuff you can tell your grand children and they will pretend to listen. You need to ride, ride, ride. :woohoo:

I'm with JMKZHI big time. Put the money aside and get something that is good-to-go. A usable bike now is worth more thsn a bike that is usable in the future (the diminishing value of future money/goods). But its your time and your coin.

Either way, best of success. :)

PS
Did I say welcome? Welcome to the KZR nation! :cheer:

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/12/31 13:23

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada