New Member, '77 KZ900

More
21 May 2007 19:40 #142214 by mrbreeze
Replied by mrbreeze on topic New Member, '77 KZ900
Really really nice piece there... it looks almost ready to go.

Was the gas drained before it was stored? If not you may have to bust the carbs down for new o-rings and such.

The first thing I would do... well, right after the new battery, is to get a Clymer manual for it. I still wear mine around my neck on a chain a lot of the time.

Patton's right about that tire, it's dang near as old as the bike.

Oh, and just a thought, you might hunt down a couple of your Dad's 'ol racin' buds. I bet they could give you the skinny on at least most of the engine mods.

Welcome... Good luck with her, and happy wrenching.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2007 21:50 #142275 by moonwell
Replied by moonwell on topic New Member, '77 KZ900
mrbreeze wrote:

Was the gas drained before it was stored? If not you may have to bust the carbs down for new o-rings and such.

Yes, fortunately it was drained. I know the carbs always seemed to be an issue with this bike. I'll bet it was upgraded with bigger carbs, but I haven't looked at them close enough yet to know for sure yet. I'm sure somebody on here could tell me more than I'd ever need to know about them from a closeup picture ;) I should have a battery tomorrow night, so I'll probably start tearing into things then.

mrbreeze wrote:

get a Clymer manual for it.

Picked one up a couple weeks ago ;) Got a Haynes as well, but the Clymer looks like it will be much more usefull

mrbreeze wrote:

you might hunt down a couple of your Dad's 'ol racin' buds. I bet they could give you the skinny on at least most of the engine mods

I know of one of his buddies that would know everything, it is just a matter of tracking him down, since he kinda disappeared a couple years ago :huh:

More
29 May 2007 21:49 #144747 by moonwell
Got this picture from my mom over the weekend. My dad on the bike at the strip back in '79.

[img
(Click to enlarge)

More
30 May 2007 17:52 #145013 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New Member, '77 KZ900
Moonwell,

The bike looks like it's going to be a blast, but Please, before you ride buy a shop manual (they're cheap) and, if you don't already own them, 2 torque wrenches (1 light weight in "inch pounds" and one medium weight in "foot pounds." It's easy to over-torque (strip) aluminum threads if you don't use torque wrenches. You definitely need to replace the tires, but take a close look at the manual FIRST. I say this because I noticed that the front axle on your bike is mounted incorrectly. The gap on the axle clamp is (at least on the KZ650's) supposed to be facing the rear, not the front as on your bike. There may be other things on the bike that need adjusting and by familiarizing yourself with the manual you will be able to correct them. Good luck with it, and be careful. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 May 2007 20:26 #145068 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic New Member, '77 KZ900
Welcome aboard, Moonwell.

Cool pic of your dad. Just curious where that pic might have been take as that looks a lot like a Worlds of Fun T-shirt he's wearing.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
30 May 2007 21:41 #145101 by another82kz
Replied by another82kz on topic New Member, '77 KZ900
Welcome . Sweet bike time to hit the wrenches !

\"Its all just a bunch of nuts and bolts.\"

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

More
30 May 2007 21:51 #145103 by moonwell
N0NB wrote:

that looks a lot like a Worlds of Fun T-shirt he's wearing.

My parents had just got back from the honeymoon & they went to Worlds of Fun :) Pretty sure the pic was taken at the strip in Humboldt, IA.

Post edited by: moonwell, at: 2007/06/15 02:37

More
14 Jun 2007 23:44 #149580 by moonwell
The replacement Dyna S finally came in the other day to replace the fried Dyna III & she fired right up... on 3 cylinders. Ended up being the pilot jet on carb #1, so now she's running on all 4. Should be ready to go for a test ride tomorrow night...

Here she is as of tonight.