new kz owner

More
08 May 2007 06:07 #138114 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic new kz owner
Nice lookin' scoot. The seat looks like an original Kawasaki accessory, similar to mine. I never liked the ride of the stock seat on mine, so I found the current (Kawasaki made) seat to replace the original. That is what yours looks like to me.
You may be disappointed by the discomforture of a stock seat. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2007 11:11 #138212 by nate_lohs
Replied by nate_lohs on topic new kz owner
im not too concerned with comfort. my other bike is a ninja zx6r so anything is more comfortable than that. i just really like the way the stock seats look.

More
08 May 2007 13:21 #138266 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic new kz owner
If it's not spitting gas out of the overflow hoses, try running Seafoam through it (an ounce or so per gallon of gas). It does a good job of cleaning the gunk out and frequent use keeps it out.

Otherwise, if rust is getting in the carbs from the tank, a good fuel filter is a must. Perhaps a tank cleaning and sealing (I've used POR-15 with good results without harming the original paint) as well.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
08 May 2007 21:10 #138416 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic new kz owner
Welcome to the site. Nice looking bike you got.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
09 May 2007 07:01 #138490 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic new kz owner
I agree on the SEAFOAM. My carbs were spitting gas and flooding the engine when I put it on the road last month. The prospect of removing the carbs and losing rare good riding weather was not appealing to me.
I read about the seafoam and tried it. Mixed 2 oz for 1 gallon, took the bike for a hard fast ride on a bad road (to bounce it around a bit).
The result was amazing. The bike ran better within 10 miles and the carbs haven't pissed gas since! The bike runs great, even to now. I mixed an oz. per gallon to top off the tank, ran it through a tankful and have had no problems since.
I realize that I eventually need to go through the carbs, but I am hoping to postpone until next winter. For now I intend to mix up a tankful every few thousand miles to keep the carbs clean.
It's worth 7 bucks. It may be a cheap cure and get you through the riding season.
Just my 1% worth...

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
09 May 2007 11:36 #138576 by nate_lohs
im just going to pull the carbs off. i have some experience with carbs and these look to be way easier to remove and install than the ones on my dads virago. especially since it already has the pod filters. im going to try to go buy a dyna S ignition this weekend. i need to adjust one of my valve clearances. then once i have the valves all adjusted and the new ignition in and timing set ill pull the carbs off.

More
28 May 2007 18:45 #144374 by nate_lohs
the bike is coming along nicely. ive done a whole lot of work to it. heres my list. cleaned carbs, adjusted throttle cables, adjusted valves. installed new plugs, dyna s ignition, stock seat, new petcock, new fuel filters, and a whole buncha other stuff. bike runs pretty good. its a little rough still. here is a pic of before i bought the bike and the second one is of how it sits now. how much would you say the bike is worth now? let me know what you think. thanks.

More
28 May 2007 18:51 #144378 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic new kz owner
As a runner? No less than 2 bucks a cc seems to be the going rate. Maybe more to the right buyer.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
28 May 2007 19:07 #144389 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic new kz owner
Looks better with that seat now. Good work. Just take of the carbs and clean them. You have to go there someday.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean