• Page:

TOPIC:

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 06 Apr 2007 20:42 #127218

• MidnightBlue
  • MidnightBlue's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I'm twenty years old and I'm new to motorcycles. I was recently given a 1977 KZ1000 LTD by my best friend's Dad who had stored it in 1985. It is in good shape, the paint looks very nice; its Midnight Blue. It will need to be gone through before I attempt to start it. The engine turns, the brakes work, and I'm able to put it into gear. I need to locate a good parts source, can anyone recommend one? I also do not know anything about bikes so I'm hoping to pick up some information here. One of my good friends rides a bike so I will have him to help me out but I do plan to take a safety course once I start riding it.

I attached a picture of the bike after a slight cleaning. The chrome and paint have come up very nicely because of all the layers of wax. I removed the sissy bar and reinstalled the plastic body part that goes over the fender. I'm not sure what happened to the original chrome piece, I will have to ask.

Thanks,

Justin

Post edited by: MidnightBlue, at: 2007/04/06 23:43
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 06 Apr 2007 20:46 #127220

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
Welcome aboard! May I be the first to say,
PICTURES! WE NEED PICTURES!
Oh, and for parts?
In order:
  1. Z1Enterprises
  2. Dennis Kirk
  3. E-Bay
Look under [links] to the right for #s 1 and 2

Oh, SURE, ad the picture while I'm typing! God'll get you for that!:blink: :ohmy: (whoops, I didn't say that. ssssshhhhhhhh)

Post edited by: pstrbrc, at: 2007/04/06 23:47
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 06 Apr 2007 20:51 #127222

• Klaus42
  • Visitor
Greetings, Justin! I'm a noob here, m'self... That's a *big* 1st bike! Kudo's to you for having the good taste and sense, (IMHO), to put back the proper tail section. You're going to love that bike!B)

Post edited by: Klaus42, at: 2007/04/12 00:20

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 06 Apr 2007 20:59 #127225

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
Klaus42 wrote:

RE: Pictures...: It would be so much simpler to post 'em, if there were an automatic re-sizing feature...

That's the problem with you young whippersnappers! Ya want everthing AutOmatic! Why, back in my day, if you wanted to change the number of pixels on a picture, you had to take that picture out back and wedge it under a rock, then go get the pixel file and grind 'em off! Why we would never THINK of complainin' 'cause it twernt autOmatic! I just get....
(Oh hi, Nurse! No, I wasn't yelling! NO, I WASN'T! HEY! WATCH WHERE YOU PUT THAT......OOooohhh... I'm sleepy...)
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 06 Apr 2007 21:16 #127230

• Klaus42
  • Visitor

Post edited by: Klaus42, at: 2007/04/12 00:20

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 06 Apr 2007 21:43 #127245

• Gosling1
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome to the world of two wheels. That is a pretty big beast for a first bike, but don't let it scare you too bad. As long as you respect it, it will be good to you. After a couple of years of learning on some old school dirt bikes my first street bike was a mammoth 83 kz 1100 shaftee. It was a big learning curve going from a 260 lbs bultaco to this heafty 1085 lbs beheamoth. But we get along well since I too am a little festively plump. Plus being 25 I'm to young and dumb to know better and get a lighter KZ. Good motoring and just remember the rubber side goes down:)
1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 06 Apr 2007 23:59 #127266

• bigbadwolf76
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My my my! What a steal! That bike is a real beauty! Still good enough looking to give new bikes a run for their money! I like the paint job on it too.

You are on the right track with taking your time and making sure everything on the bike is safe and working right, and taking the MSF course first. I predict you'll be one happy little camper when all is said and done!

Man! That bike sure is pretty! (had to say it again!)

pstrbrc wrote:

Klaus42 wrote:

RE: Pictures...: It would be so much simpler to post 'em, if there were an automatic re-sizing feature...

That's the problem with you young whippersnappers! Ya want everthing AutOmatic! Why, back in my day, if you wanted to change the number of pixels on a picture, you had to take that picture out back and wedge it under a rock, then go get the pixel file and grind 'em off! Why we would never THINK of complainin' 'cause it twernt autOmatic! I just get....
(Oh hi, Nurse! No, I wasn't yelling! NO, I WASN'T! HEY! WATCH WHERE YOU PUT THAT......OOooohhh... I'm sleepy...)

:laugh: :laugh:

But think about it... you old guys have less time on this earth left... why spend it re-sizing pictures? hehe! (Runs and looks for cover!) :silly:

Damn that's a great bike!!!

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 07 Apr 2007 02:56 #127272

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
Welcome Justin...what pstrbrc said!:) Careful with that LTD...these old Z's can be monsters and surprise you when you least expect it.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 07 Apr 2007 04:26 #127276

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Nice bike Justin. It's a classic. To keep it nice, you might want to learn riding on something else. 77 was the first year of over 1000CC KZ's. If it's a low serial number, it may also be one of the last USA KZ's assembled in Japan.

-Duck

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 07 Apr 2007 08:06 #127312

• wireman
  • Visitor
welcome to z-jungle;) looks like somebody stole your tailpiece off of it

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 07 Apr 2007 08:09 #127315

• z1rick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Great looking bike! Take it easy riding her, at least till you get comfortable:evil: Thanks for the pic. And remember, there lots of knowledgeable members here, so when you need help with repairs on the bike, don't be afraid to ask ;)
Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

New to bikes; have a 77 KZ1000 LTD 07 Apr 2007 16:14 #127477

• MidnightBlue
  • MidnightBlue's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the nice welcome. I will certainly have questions. I hope to really dive into the bike by the summer. Right now I have a couple projects going on. I've been working on my grandfather's (died in 1985 before I was born) 1953 Buick Super which has not been started since 1992. I've been going through it and getting it ready to fire up. I rebuilt the carburetor, cleaned the vacuum and fuel lines, tuned it up, cleaned and sealed the fuel tank, and I'm a thermostat gasket away from being finished. After that I'm focusing on my 1965 Ford Mustang which has been out of service for a while. I've been wrenching for almost five years now so I'm fairly confident with my skills.

• Page: