Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 07:05 #115753

• aarivers
  • aarivers's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning KS Riders just thought I would stop by and say hello, I am 23 I live in White House, TN and have just recently purchased a KZ750 off of eBay and am going to be picking it up next week. I plan on turning it into a cafe racer style bike when it's all said and done. My plan is to make it look as close to the Ducati Sport Classic 1000S as possible. Well if you want to vie the pics on eBay here's the link . And It says 1983 but I'm not so sure of that, so if anyone can tell by the pics what year and model it appears to be let me know.

Thanks,
Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 07:17 #115755

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Aaron,
You came to the right place to get that bike up and running. I'm not nearly as good as some of the guys here when it comes to determining model year, but I do know a bit about 750 twins. In my opinion, that is not a 1983 model, more like '77-'79. A couple of give-aways to me are the passenger peg brackets and the style of the tank emblem. I'm sure there are plenty more. Take a look at the photos in the Gallery here, quite a few 750's.
Don't try too hard to make it a Ducati, there's nothing wrong with a Kaw cafe.
Take pictures, we like pictures!

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 07:18 #115756

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Looks like a 70's bike to me, not sure of what exact year but the sucker is older than my 2 bikes or as old. One of the experts on here who know more about age should be able to tell ya!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 07:36 #115760

• aarivers
  • User
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah all the 80's models I have seen have mag wheels, so I was kinda confused. When I go pick it up I'll get a ton of pictures for you guys and verify the VIN number and date code. The sweet part of this deal is I am trading a 1996 Honda XR80r for it straight up. The XR80 has a broken timing chain, a bent valve and a chewed up cam gear. So my initial purchase price on this project will be the gas money I spend to go and pick it up.

Once I get the bike, Where should I start to post about the progress of the build up?

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 08:10 #115773

• Nevco48
  • User
Every new guy here gets told to get a manual for his (or her) bike. I've had good luck with getting a CD version, they pop up on eBay pretty regularly. You can print out the section you want. Or run back and forth to the computer, but the keyboard gets all greasy if you do that...
I would get the bike home and spend a good chunk of time looking it over, noting what is obviously wrong; from those photos, I can see a tach cable problem, maybe the front calliper? Those handlebars have to go, as well as the blue all over the triple tree and front brake master cylinder:sick:
Clean it without doing too much teardown, it's a good way to get familiar with your KZ. I think it is fair to assume you will need to pull the carbs and clean the gunk out at the least, sounds like it's been sitting for quite a while. These things can surprise you by coming to life without too much tinkering.
That's all the advice I'm good for. Post some specific questions in the correct section and the KZ gurus will help you out.

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 08:24 #115779

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Hey - good luck with the rebuild!

You can start your own project thread, in the Projects forum..It's been my favourite forum this winter, hands down! :)
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 08:52 #115783

• aarivers
  • User
Haha yeah I saw all that blue over everything and about threw up myself:sick: . I usually get the Haynes manual if there is one for the bike(or car) I'm working on. I haven't tried the CD's from eBay yet. Yeah, I would like to do the Clip-on thing for the bars and I plan on making a completely new gauge cluster/dash panel for it with an electronic tach, oil pressure gauge, and if i can rig it a fuel gauge, or an analog clock if I cant get a fuel gauge to work. But to begin with I'm just going to tear it all down slowly and clean it up as I go.

Cool I will be starting a thread on the Projects forum after I get the bike.

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 19:42 #115921

• Sixgun
  • User
If it is a B model it's somewhere between 76-79. If thats the original front brake master cylinder, it has to be 76 or 77. The sad part is that Haynes doesn't make a manual for the beasty, but you can still find the factory manual on Ebay or CD.

Welcome to the board! I look forward to seeing the old girl come back to life.
78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 20:24 #115938

• austin3119
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Welcome to the forum. Be careful, this place is preety addicting.:)

Good Morning KZ Riders 27 Feb 2007 21:44 #115961

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
austin3119 wrote:

Welcome to the forum. Be careful, this place is preety addicting.:)

Yeah it's hard to stay away. Looks like a good project bike. Have fun with it.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Good Morning KZ Riders 28 Feb 2007 03:08 #115977

• pumps
  • User
I was thinking of picking up a twin..but something else got in front of me first that I couldn't resist. I saw that on ebay too. I like that blue.

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2007/02/28 06:08
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Good Morning KZ Riders 28 Feb 2007 04:28 #115986

• Dr Zed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Aaron,

As suggested, keep it looking like a Z, Buuutttttttt, of interest to you, I pass/get passed by a similar colour Z750 to yours about once a week on the way to work, what this guy has fitted is a replica '76 or so vintage Ducati 900SS fairing, rearsets, clipons, A decent swingarm (alloy) and wide wire wheels and a Megacycle exhaust ..... believe me it looks trick, but the nice thing about it is that it retains its Z heritage,(sounds like one as well), just cleaned up a bit.
I'm only on waving terms with this guy but next time we pass I will pull him over and get some photos to post up ok ?
Best of luck with the project.

Tony B) B) B)