Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Smaller Cafe Style rear lights without cutting/welding? 18 Apr 2024 18:19 #897814

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379
IIRC there should be two bolts under the back end of the seat and two more in front of the back wheel.

The fun part is you can use the bolts under the seat to mount the taillight assembly. The brackets would be pretty easy to make and it won't matter if they don't look great because you won't really be able to see them. Ideally you'll have (or can acquire) a vise, a torch, and metal-bending tools for that.

For mine I used 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick mild steel from Lowes or Home Depot, but started with 1/2" x 1/16" aluminum so I could bend it by hand to make a prototype. In your case you could have the brackets come out under the back end of the seat and go vertical to hold the taillight assembly in place. This would allow you to use the seat hinges as normal.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatYeti

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Smaller Cafe Style rear lights without cutting/welding? 19 Apr 2024 04:59 #897835

• ThatYeti
  • ThatYeti's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Ya, looking at the photos earlier I can see the bolts under the seat, just figured they were also holding in other things so I'd have to figure that out if I just took the whole thing off.  Leaning towards just cutting shorter both the front and rear fenders as it seems less likely for me to mess up anyway and i can figure out some way to add a strip light on the rear or a brake light that's meant to tuck under the lip of the rear fender and then use the stock signal mounts for new rear lights.  Will say it's feeling like chopping the frame might just be simpler but might just give this a shot first and see how it goes I guess.
'76 KZ400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.