Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re:Re: Re:Powder Coated Wheels 01 Nov 2014 11:59 #652514

• gixxerkidd03
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
i think the bike looks like hell but the wheels could look good on a clean bike. go for it!
oh ya and powder coat them
1981 KZ750e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Re: Re:Powder Coated Wheels 01 Nov 2014 12:34 #652516

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
I'd go for paint, I'm 50/50 on paint or powder for frames having done both but for wheels always paint imo.

The nicest thing about the 7 spoke mag wheels is when the rims and spoke flats are polished. There is no way to mask the rims for powder coat like you would when spraying.

Paint or powder the prep is the same, save for bearing removal and replacement. Alloy needs a correct primer but is easy painting even for a novice with rattle cans as no labourious wet flatting primer coats required, as the wheels inners are rough cast.

I powder coated my 81 gpz550 frame white, it needs to be kept super clean and it will make any scruffy parts of he bike stand out even more...years later it is looking scruffy, I will paint it soon in frost white metallic with 2k clear. I wouldn't choose white again, but on that one I want to preserve that vision I had in my mind's eye when I built it 20 years ago,
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Re:Re: Re:Powder Coated Wheels 01 Nov 2014 14:37 #652525

• jramsey89
  • jramsey89's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i talked to my cousin today and he said he's powder coated a few motorcycle wheels with success and happy customers. he mentioned using high temp tapes for masking and after a quick google search this turned up, so i'm not sure what you mean by "no way to mask the rims"? i'm really trying to think this through and weigh everything out as i don't want to do it twice or at worst purchase new wheels. thanks for the input

Re:Re: Re:Powder Coated Wheels 01 Nov 2014 14:40 #652526

• jramsey89
  • jramsey89's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
@tyrell hmm i actually kinda like it. and i'm not sure mine looks much better but i am in love with it. heavily leaning towards powder coat after talking with my cousin today but i want to be 100%. thanks

Last edit: by jramsey89. Reason: clarify who i am replying
  • Page: