• Page:

TOPIC:

Converting 1978 KZ650 SR to Standard Duck Tail?? 12 Sep 2014 11:37 #647266

• TheFriZ
  • TheFriZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Guys, Im new to KZRider.

I recently purchased a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 SR.

She is a solid bike, I have put over 500 miles on her in the month since I have had her titled. I wanted an SR because of the brake setup mainly, and I found this one at a deal I couldn't pass up. The original plan was to do a flat, Scrambler-esque rear end on it, but I have since decided that I would prefer to convert it over and have the Duck tail rear end of the standard KZ650's.

My tank has a few dents in it as well, so I have basically decided to swap all of the body work over.
I need:
Standard KZ650 Tank
Standard KZ650 Seat
Standard KZ650 Duck Tail Bodywork

I'm debating as to whether or not I want to also install the rear under fender that was also on Standard KZ650's, or If I would want to run the tail on by itself. I could put a thin piece of aluminum underneath if I felt like it needed some shielding.

My questions are:

1. will the standard Gas tank snap on, no problem, just like my SR "Coffin" tank?
2. Will I need to weld new tabs/bracketry to bolt on the Standard Duck Tail and seat?
3. Will my Seat Lock, Latch, and prop all still function?
4. Will I still be able to retain my underseat storage pocket and the plastic under fender there?

Lastly,
Would there be any benefits to swapping over to the standard 18" KZ650 rear wheel, or would I be better of with the 16x3 rear wheel that came equipped on my SR? I'm a bit torn on this decision. I like the height of the standard rear wheel, but I also like the thickness of the SR wheel.

Also, if you happen to have any of these items available, I'm definitely hunting for them! I found a few candidates on Ebay also.

Thank you,
Brian

Look forward to chatting with you guys!

Here are a few pics of the old girl, She just clicked over 10,000 miles... time to do the valves and rebuild the carbs!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Converting 1978 KZ650 SR to Standard Duck Tail?? 12 Sep 2014 13:18 #647279

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
There is quite a bit of fabrication involved in putting a duckbill and seat on the LTD/SR bikes. The back frame hoop is different. I'm sure it can be done, but it will be a bit of work to get the tank and the new duckbill seat to match up. Why not just find a 650 that style and sell or trade the one you have? 650's are plentiful...
If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

Converting 1978 KZ650 SR to Standard Duck Tail?? 12 Sep 2014 19:05 #647313

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
A standard KZ650 tank will snap right in with no modification, but the rest of your plan is not feasible unless you really want a battle. It could probably be done, but won't be anything simple to do to say the least.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Converting 1978 KZ650 SR to Standard Duck Tail?? 13 Sep 2014 17:54 #647424

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

Tyler wrote: There is quite a bit of fabrication involved in putting a duckbill and seat on the LTD/SR bikes. The back frame hoop is different. I'm sure it can be done, but it will be a bit of work to get the tank and the new duckbill seat to match up. Why not just find a 650 that style and sell or trade the one you have? 650's are plentiful...

^Ditto. plus your SR looks to be in decent condition, should be able to move it pretty wuick

Last edit: by DoctoRot.
  • Page: