Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kz550 - interchangeable fender / tail light? 17 Aug 2014 11:28 #644260

• robotriot
  • robotriot's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, I've recently purchased a KZ550A 1980 , and I REALLY hate that gnarly duck-end that the bike has and was wondering if newer (like 82) kz550 fenders / tail lights would pop on interchangeably... I don't really have much experience modding or changing out parts, so pardon me if this is a fairly noobish question!

This is what it looks like now..

Attachment unnamed.jpg not found

and this is what i'm looking at replacing it with..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by robotriot.

Kz550 - interchangeable fender / tail light? 09 Sep 2014 19:26 #646949

• rebel_cruiser81
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The only way to replace your current tail light with one from an '82 C3 is to purchase the fender and tail light. The C3 tail light attaches to the rear fender which attaches to the rear seat frame hoop from the underside. If you have the bracket and bolt holes welded on you could use the fender and tail light combo. the only other option is to fabricate a mounting bracket.

I am currently parting much of my '82 C3. If you would like either of these parts or want pictures of the mounting point let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Last edit: by rebel_cruiser81.

Kz550 - interchangeable fender / tail light? 10 Sep 2014 06:23 #646988

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The attachment points for the Ltd fender appear to be different. To figure out how easy it will be, look at your frame n stuff & compare it to the frame & fender of a donor bike by referencing the Kawasaki diagram drawings & eebbaayy photos. Usually, it takes some work to put a tail cover on an Ltd model, but I don't know what problems there will be when removing the tail cover & swapping fenders.... never heard of anyone doing it.

Something to keep in mind is that the 550A seat is shaped around the tail cover, so there will be an open space at the back of the seat if you remove the cover.

PS: probably most KZ owners prefer the standard models w the tail cover, yours truly included. :)

Kz550 - interchangeable fender / tail light? 10 Sep 2014 08:41 #647006

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That will take some modification. To get that classic, standard look, you may even want to consider using KZ400 rear end parts, including the seat. They will be narrower than the 550 fender. The 550 C model uses a wider rear tire, so the fender is also wider, and lower, and may look funny with a skinny tire. But either way, the frame will be different from yours, so you will have some modding to do.

As Martin mentioned, since the A model body shape is sought after, and there are often folks who want to convert their C model to the standard look, maybe you can work out a trade. See if someone with a C model wants to trade for your A model. If you are worried about the motor, the carbs and motor are virtually the same so they can be swapped.

At the very least, you should be able to sell off the tail section, as there will be someone who want it.

The C model (LTD) is more of a cruiser style with a 16" rear wheel. The KZ400 D, and S, has more of the classic English bike look and uses the same diameter (18") wheel as your A model.
If you are looking for a cruiser-look, then it would be much less work to start with the C model, which are relatively cheap.

It would be interesting to see what a KZ550 looks like when made to look like an English bike, if that's what you're going for. I don't recall that being done before. Good luck.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: