Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rear brake 19 Oct 2016 09:26 #745663

• Epicface803
  • Epicface803's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So im steady going through my 1982 kz1000 m2 making sure the bike is road worthy. I've come to my rear brakes the first issue is the torque link spring that brings the pedal back up seems to be worn out it doesn't bring the pedal back up so I've ordered a new one (3 weeks ago) apparently this part is on " national back order" and who the hell knows when that will get here my other issue with the rear brake is it sucks I rely on my rear brake heavily while riding but this bike has very little stopping power is this common with the kz1000s or is this a fixable problem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear brake 19 Oct 2016 11:02 #745670

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
First thing you should not be relying on your rear brake for anything other than trail braking before corners. 90% of the stopping power is in the front brake so it sounds like you have some technique improvement to work on.

Regarding the rear pedal spring, it's very odd that the spring would be weak unless it's been damaged in some way. Have you ever removed the torque pivot and greased the arm? I'm guessing that you have some corrosion issues that are causing binding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Rear brake 19 Oct 2016 17:50 #745701

• Epicface803
  • User
First thing...I did not ask for a critique on my technical skill as a rider I've been riding long enough to know what I'm doing that being said I rely on my rear brake heavily while riding (end of statement)
As far as the spring goes it is a fact of life that springs ware out it's not surprising to find a 34 year old spring might not have the strength it once had but this was more or less a back story/filler on the progress I'm making on my kz
Now back to the main question I'm wondering if the 82 kz1000 is known for having a poor braking system or should I think about rebuilding my calliper

Rear brake 19 Oct 2016 18:13 #745703

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Nessism is 100% correct. No offense intended, but if you are relying heavily on your rear brake you need to change your riding technique. I saw you state that you have been riding "long enough to know what I'm doing" , but just riding for a long time doesn't mean you understand the physics of motorcycle braking. I would urge you to take a motorcycle safety course. BTW, I have been riding for more than 50 years and I can assure you that you are never too experienced to learn more about riding. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Rear brake 19 Oct 2016 18:24 #745706

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
The KZ1000 brakes work very well when everything is up to snuff. As Nessism said, one of the most overlooked maintenance items is the brake pedal pivot. Lack of regular cleaning and lubricating can lead to rust and corrosion that can cause the pedal action to be very stiff, mimicking a soft spring, or it can lock up altogether. This happens far more frequently than the spring wearing out, and is worth taking care of even if the spring is bad.

The advice given on braking technique is also worth heeding. It could save your life.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Rear brake 19 Oct 2016 20:01 #745711

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
You indicate you're "going through" your bike. That implies it needs work. Our position on old bikes has always been: Before you make it go, make very sure it will stop.

Have you fully rebuilt the rear brake system, caliper and master cylinder, with new seals, hardware, pads and fresh fluid? Have you removed the rear brake pedal to clean & lube the pivot?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Rear brake 23 Oct 2016 10:21 #746018

• Epicface803
  • User
Yes my bike has needed some work before I can get it on the road and I've been steadily work through everything to make sure it is worthy I have flushed and bled the lines and took apart the linkage and lubed the pivots rebuilding the caliper is what I was wondering the brakes work they just seem to be lacking strength

Rear brake 23 Oct 2016 11:09 #746019

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Epicface803 wrote: ... 1982 kz1000 m2... issue with the rear brake... has very little stopping power....

Condition of the brake pads?
Condition of the disc?
Does spongy pedal indicate that more thorough bleeding is needed?

Should be able to lock the rear wheel by strongly depressing the rear brake pedal (while seated in normal riding position, without having to "stand" on the pedal).

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Page: