Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 08:28 #744846

• grumpy56
  • grumpy56's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Bought new OEM hand grips for my 1982 KZ1000J. Do I need to use glue on the left one? I haven't tried putting it on yet to see how tight it is. Thanks.
Lewis
1982 KZ1000-J2
2006 HD FXD35
1970 Suzuki T350
1972 Suzuki GT380 (In-Process)
In The Past...71 TM400, 72 H-D SS350, 72 GT380, 75 Z1B, 77 XLH, 79 CB750K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 08:31 #744847

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
You should use grip lock or contact cement.
Steve

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 08:54 #744850

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Stop by a motorcycle shop and pick up a small tube of handlebar grip adhesive. There are several companies, such as Motion Pro, Scott, etc., that make it. A tube costs about $3. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 10:22 #744852

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Before resorting to glue, would try cleaning both the bar and inside grip with household rubbing alcohol, and then using the alcohol as a medium to slide the grip onto the handlebar (or throttle tube). Allow to dry before using.
Probably depends somewhat on the particular grip being fitted. But I just clean the bar and grip, then use air pressure with cone nozzle to quickly fit the grip on to handlebar and throttle tube. Grips stays firmly in position, and zero slippage.

Another possibility, as opposed to glue, is hairspray applied to clean bar and grip interior, and slide grip into position before the hairspray dries. Then allow to dry before using.

I have never resorted to using glue. What a mess. And difficult to remove.

My brand new Z1's and KZ900 came from the factory without any glue to hold on the grips, and the stock grips without any glue held on just fine, and never posed an issue.

YMMV with whatever aftermarket grips are being fitted.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Re:Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 10:22 #744853

• Julian_Boolean
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Grip glue works, so does petrol if you're quick with getting the grip on.

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 11:57 #744859

• grumpy56
  • grumpy56's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Appreciate your help. Will try it without glue and then get some grip glue if it isn't secure.
Lewis
1982 KZ1000-J2
2006 HD FXD35
1970 Suzuki T350
1972 Suzuki GT380 (In-Process)
In The Past...71 TM400, 72 H-D SS350, 72 GT380, 75 Z1B, 77 XLH, 79 CB750K

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 11:57 #744860

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Patton wrote: ......

What a mess? I suspect you tried putting the adhesive on the bar rather than a thin coat inside the grip. If you put a thin coat inside the grip and then slide the grip on there really is no mess at all. Difficult to remove? Yes indeed, but isn't making sure the grip stays put the reason for the adhesive? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, SWest

Re:Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 13:50 #744865

• Julian_Boolean
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
When I used to ride MX I had a grip come off whilst in the air, I used grip glue on MX bikes after that.

Re:Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 14:54 #744867

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I think it depends on the material used. Mine kept sliding off and the throttle would slip while riding. No fun. I tried grip lock but it didn't work at first. I cleaned the bar and grip with alcohol and now they stay put.
Steve

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 15:08 #744868

• 80B4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 105
I've never had to use glue to keep grips on a bike but I have used safety wire on a track bike.
1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 16:08 #744873

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Patton wrote: Before resorting to glue, would try cleaning both the bar and inside grip with household rubbing alcohol, and then using the alcohol as a medium to slide the grip onto the handlebar (or throttle tube). Allow to dry before using.
Probably depends somewhat on the particular grip being fitted. But I just clean the bar and grip, then use air pressure with cone nozzle to quickly fit the grip on to handlebar and throttle tube. Grips stays firmly in position, and zero slippage.

Another possibility, as opposed to glue, is hairspray applied to clean bar and grip interior, and slide grip into position before the hairspray dries. Then allow to dry before using.

My brand new Z1's and KZ900 came from the factory without any glue to hold on the grips, and the stock grips without any glue held on just fine, and never posed an issue.

Removing the clutch perch on a large Kaw four entails sliding it off the end of the handlebar. Which necessitates first removing the grip. Whether this applies to other models, I don't know.
A glued on grip is destroyed incident to its removal. :pinch:
A non-glued on grip can be repeatedly removed and reinstalled for continued use. The air pressure via rubber cone nozzle is very fast and easy, both to remove and to reinstall a non-glued-on grip.

Part of the mess is in getting the old dried glue off the handlebar.
A single edge razor blade will usually suffice for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

The stock fitment without glue has worked just fine for me all these years. Including the aftermarket grips I happen to prefer.

The only bike I used grip glue on was a shovelhead Harley dresser where the grip would steadily slip toward coming off the handlebar. Harley makes a really good strong grip glue. Others use super-glue, Gorilla glue, and all sorts of other whatever glue.

Then again, glue-sellers gotta eat too.

And rumor has it that some of the glues sniff pretty good. :ohmy:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Hand Grips 09 Oct 2016 16:32 #744874

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

Patton wrote: Before resorting to glue, would try cleaning both the bar and inside grip with household rubbing alcohol, and then using the alcohol as a medium to slide the grip onto the handlebar (or throttle tube). Allow to dry before using.

+ 1 , never ever used glue on grips, used hairspray for over 30 years and it works a treat. Clean all surfaces well first... ;)

• Page: