Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Side stand 28 Aug 2016 18:42 #740295

• 750 R1
  • 750 R1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Hi everyone, I have a 1982 GPZ750 R1, I will be taking the center stand off as part of a diet i'll be putting the bike through, the problem is, the side stand on this bike seems to be a bit short, the bike leans over too far. Is there another model I could get a slightly longer stand off that wouldn't need much in the way of modifying..? I can take some play out of the stand I have but it still seems a bit short, It is the stock stand and I still have all the stock suspension.... I may have to modify the frame mount for the stand..?

Thanks for your help...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Side stand 28 Aug 2016 19:55 #740308

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I hope you plan to retain the use of the centerstand when you need it - such as removing the rear wheel, checking the oil, adjusting the drive chain, etc. I guess if your bike can use a paddock stand you will be ok for most tasks as long as you don't stray too far from your house, but I highly recommend not cutting off the center stand mounting tabs. Others have done that before realizing the center stand is often extremely handy. :)

Regarding the side stand - it should be long enough unless the mounting tabs are spread from someone sitting on the bike while it's on the side stand, so check those tabs. Of course if longer rear shocks have been fitted you may need a longer stand. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Side stand 28 Aug 2016 20:05 #740309

• 750 R1
  • User
Its ok, I know the downside to not having a center stand, I've removed every one I've ever had, I'll use paddock stands. On the old Honda's, the stand hit the road in corners, they also weigh a ton, My Gixxer didn't have one. The top part of the GPZ side stand has spread but it still looks a little short, maybe the frame tab has bent up a bit too, I'll check it all out properly when my seals and stuff turn up, I was just wondering if any other stands were compatible.... ;)

Side stand 28 Aug 2016 20:38 #740317

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1966
Tighten up the frame mounts as much as you can as Ed states pulling them down as much as practical as step one.
Just as the frame brackets become bent over time , so does the side stand itself. I have heated the stands up in the past to make bending them possible . I have had good luck doing this to bend them out to shorted the stands for lowered bikes as well as returning the stand stock specs to help hold up a stock stance bike .
Or get a hockey puck and use that to make up for the stand being short :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Side stand 28 Aug 2016 20:43 #740318

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
If the bolt has come loose over time, the stand fork will be bent. Be careful bending it back. Mine broke that way. If you can tighten it up again you'll be surprised at how the bike will stand up again.
Steve

Side stand 28 Aug 2016 22:54 #740339

• 750 R1
  • User
Thanks for the help guys, I think its a combination of everything mentioned here, everythings worn... It actually takes quite a bit of strength to get it off the stand at present, its leaning that far over... ;)

Side stand 28 Aug 2016 23:03 #740340

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107

750 R1 wrote: Thanks for the help guys, I think its a combination of everything mentioned here, everythings worn... It actually takes quite a bit of strength to get it off the stand at present, its leaning that far over... ;)

The '77 650 I have in my shop right now leans way too far also - the stand on that is definitely bent. I think the 650 / 750 stands were on the short side to start with, and got worse with use / wear and bent relatively easily, too.

I am with Ed - remove the center stand if you want, but don't cut off the center stand mounts if you don't have to. If they aren't in the way, leave them on....and keep the stand, pivot, and springs in case you ever change your mind or sell the bike...
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

Side stand 29 Aug 2016 00:26 #740347

• 750 R1
  • User
Center stand mounts are staying... ;)

Side stand 29 Aug 2016 06:52 #740376

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
funny i just extended the side stand on a kz750 ltd last week.
cut the foot off and used a piece we cut out of an old 4 way so we could get a forged and tapered piece that was the right diameter to match the stand.cut a piece out of an old hoof rasp and tigged it to the bottom so the foot wasn't so slender also.
was in a hurry and forgot to take pics tho :pinch:

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Side stand 29 Aug 2016 07:29 #740377

• barney
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
On my 83 1000J I removed and cut my sidestand onto three pieces. I separated each section by about 1/2 inch and rewelded it. Much better but not great. I also welded it together relatively straight to removed the bends in the forging.
Don't tighten the bolt up too tight (it is a shoulder bolt and you might mess the end up, which makes it a bitch to remove later)
I wouldn't recommend modifying the frame
Barney

Side stand 29 Aug 2016 20:09 #740456

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I had to remove my center GPz stand because of the ZR7S exhaust I put on. I wish I could put it back on. I even bought a ZR7 stand On ebay hoping it would fit but it didn't

.I've never liked the way it leans. I've thought maybe it was intended to be that way for whatever reason. I've extended it while it was being held up with paddock stand and it seemed pretty solid, not like there was damage or distortion. I'll look closer at it when i get a chance. One more thing to think about when I'm repairing the damage.

I even made a stand puck from some scrap at work that's about 1" thick to put under the stand when i'm at work. If I have a freshly filled tank and put it an the side stand gas will seep out under and/or through the cap lock.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.
  • Page: