Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brake peddle sticking 18 Jul 2016 10:15 #735331

• stokes
  • stokes's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
1980 KZ 1000 Ltd.When I got this bike a couple weeks ago,the brake peddle was sticking badly.So bad the brakes would remain engaged somewhat.I was able to spray some WD40 in the pivot to get it to release the brake caliper but its still very stiff and doesnt freely return to the pedal stop.I downloaded a service manual but it has no info on removing the pedal.It seems very straightforward without the manual so I went ahead and tried to remove it.I disconnected the brake light switch and the master cylinder push rod,but the pedal wont come off.Dont want to force it,did try to lever it off with a wrench and light hammer to see if it would move at all,but no good.Am I missing something or should I go ahead and use a BFH?
1980 KZ1000B Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brake peddle sticking 18 Jul 2016 10:59 #735334

• WILLIAM PIPPEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Did you remove the spring also? And it can be tricky to get it back on. It was for me.
My 77 KZ was almost imposable to get off. All the wears of rust and road grime getting inside there. It took someone with a lot of muscle, twisting and pulling for it to come off. After cleanup and some grease, it was good as new.

Hope this helps.

Brake peddle sticking 18 Jul 2016 13:06 #735344

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
You could get some Kano Kroil penetrant and repeatedly apply it over 2 or 3 days, then attack it with your BFH (aka Harley tool).
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Brake peddle sticking 18 Jul 2016 17:09 #735376

• stokes
  • User
Been using WD40,BFH not neccessarilly a Harley tool.just a "bigger fuckin hammer",like bigger than the one I was usin'.Didnt know if there was something holding it on the backside.I wonder if using a heat gun is a good idea,not sure if there are bushings inside,possibly plastic or nylon.
1980 KZ1000B Ltd

Brake peddle sticking 18 Jul 2016 17:21 #735378

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
No bushings, just rust and crud. A heat gun should help, just be sure to stay away from the master cylinder and such. Kroil penetrates much better than WD40.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Brake peddle sticking 18 Jul 2016 17:30 #735380

• stokes
  • User
Yeah,I know WD aint the best,I had a can of PB Blaster around somewhere,cant find it,have to go get some more.
1980 KZ1000B Ltd

Brake peddle sticking 19 Jul 2016 06:51 #735424

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Liquid wrench penetrating spray lubricant did next best to Kroil in a test that's been floating around the internet & it did quite a bit better than the bam wow pbb. The LW is readily available & cheap. and it works.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Brake peddle sticking 19 Jul 2016 08:23 #735432

• stokes
  • User
Okay,the heat gun worked.A little sandpaper,some steel wool and a lite coat of Lucas green grease and its good as new.Just wish that spring came off as easy as it went back on.Its amazing any amount of corrossion could resist that springs force.There really wasnt a lot of crud,its such a tight fit there isnt room for much,just a lite coat of rust on the shaft and inside the tube,but man was it stuck.Thanks for the replies,oh,and I didnt need the BFH.
1980 KZ1000B Ltd

• Page: