Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

center stands 01 Jul 2016 12:36 #733529

• flactem
  • flactem's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've just found that the frame of my recently delivered 1981 Kawasaki KZ440LED has apparently no provision for fitting a centre stand.
I know some KZ440's do have stands but does anyone know which models did not, and can these frames be modified to take a stand?
Any information or advice will be most welcome.
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

center stands 01 Jul 2016 14:47 #733538

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The main stand clamps are usually factory welded to the bottom frame cross tube. Someone may have cut them off. I have no idea how feasible it would be to have some sort of clamps welded or attached to the frame. eebbaayy photos can be useful in figuring out stuff.

From the diagrams at Partzilla it seems like the 81 440Ltd models should've had a center stand.
You can try Kawasaki.com, but the site hasn't been working lately.

center stands 01 Jul 2016 15:18 #733541

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
I can't remember (it's been more than a minute or two) if my 440 was an '81 or '82 but it had a center stand. It's almost hard to believe that any bike from that era did not have one since practically every maintenance step in the manuals start with "Put bike on center stand and then..."
If you still have stock exhaust on it, look at the left side below the pipe and see if the rubber bumper is there. It stopped the center stand from thumping the bottom of the frame but if the PO did actually cut-out the stand mount, they may have also cut off the bumper from the left exhaust hanger too.

center stands 01 Jul 2016 15:58 #733546

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Removing the center stand from a street bike makes quite a bit of regular maintenance (like checking the oil level) a pain in the butt, but some folks do it for various reasons while still keeping the tabs in place in case they want to use center stand for removing the rear wheel, etc.

Cutting the center stand tabs off a street bike really makes no sense at all. If it's done to save weight the owner could just skip a burrito and accomplish the same thing. If it's done for looks someone is looking WAY too close with their head on the ground to see if the tabs are or aren't there. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

center stands 01 Jul 2016 19:33 #733556

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
If the PO did actually cut out the center stand mounts your easiest & best option is this:

Attachments:

center stands 02 Jul 2016 09:55 #733606

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I have a Bandit with no center stand (Though I think it has the mounts for one) and I took the stand off my project build ,so I just bought a paddock stand. A red one for about e60. Cheap and cheerfull.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

• Page: