Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Speedometer drive gear 01 Dec 2015 02:51 #701308

• Jacob
  • Jacob's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys removed front wheel from kz900 now having speedometer trouble. Cable turns but speedometer won't register until like 30mph. Speedometer works by turning cable by hand or drill though. Any idea what's wrong? Thanks guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Speedometer drive gear 01 Dec 2015 06:47 #701338

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Were you having this problem before removing the wheel? If not, check the orientation of the speedometer gear housing on the axle. Make sure it is situated properly against the projection on the fork leg as shown in the manual and that it is mated properly to the drive sleeve. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Speedometer drive gear 01 Dec 2015 06:57 #701340

• redhawk4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
I don't see a magical answer to this one, other than checking the basics again. The drive engages on the two prongs of the piece that's attached to the wheel center, it's kind of loose fitting and moves aside if the wheel spindle is removed. With the front wheel off the ground you should be able to check the output of the drive unit is turning and behaving as it should. Disconnect the cable at the speedometer with it reconnected at the drive end and turn the front wheel to see if it's turning. Apply some light resistance to see if it wants to keep turning. I'd also try rotating the wheel backwards to ensure everything is engaged that way too. What you describe is almost like something slipping until you hit enough speed to overcome the friction. Check the drive part at the end of the cable is engaged properly. Basically if the cable is turning at the top end the speedo has to be working, if you say a hand drill gets it going. It sounds like one of those silly problems where it's something really simple, but at the same time is hard to locate, so assume nothing, start at the wheel end and work you way back checking everything. I'd also pull the inner out of the cable just to ensure there's no weird break in it somewhere.
1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Last edit: by redhawk4.

Speedometer drive gear 01 Dec 2015 07:21 #701346

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
It's a good idea to clean and lube the drive once a year or so.
Steve

Speedometer drive gear 01 Dec 2015 11:30 #701389

• Jacob
  • Jacob's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Made some progress, seated the seal a little more. It works now but still not as it should. Now it works good until 35 mph and it wants to stay there! I think I'm on the right track now, gonna clean it and put new grease in and see if that helps. The grease in there is pretty thick kinda dry it is 39 year old grease.Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if that solves the problem..

• Page: