• Page:

TOPIC:

Question on shocks/springs 21 Aug 2014 17:57 #644732

• toyotakzrider
  • toyotakzrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I have an 82 KZ750CSR.....I got it free, and it's pretty rough, but it runs good. I'm looking for a set of shocks/springs for it for 3 reasons, #1 the stock shocks are completely shot. there is no shock ability left in them. #2 I will slowly be eliminating chrome off of this bike, as i am not a fan of it, and #3 I'm 218lbs and it bottoms out on big bumps. that may be because the shocks are fried, or just because I'm a fatass lol......anyway, my question is, Are the shocks/spring sets from a kz1000p compatible with this bike? And are they actually a heavier spring rate than the stock ones that I have on there? I looked on the kawi site and they do have a different part number from all of the other shocks/springs I looked at on the parts lists. Of course that could just be because they are a "police" edition. but I'm hoping not. I have found some inexpensive sets of used ones for pretty reasonable prices that I was thinking about getting if they will fit.

Any Help would be appreciated
Eric
82' kz750 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question on shocks/springs 21 Aug 2014 22:00 #644743

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
You can buy new shocks with a spring rate of your choice. Race tech will build you a whole suspension custom for you and your ride. I do not know if the KZ 1000 shock will bolt on a 750 but your reasoning is sound.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Re:Re: Question on shocks/springs 21 Aug 2014 22:15 #644744

• Tomolu5
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
Measure them eye to eye, a quick eBay search with that dimension should provide options. There are alot of sportster shocks out there.
Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Last edit: by Tomolu5.

Question on shocks/springs 21 Aug 2014 22:42 #644750

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
While shock length is important, so is bolt size. True, one can use shim down larger diameter holes using brass tubing, and maybe ream out smaller bores to fit larger bolts, But only to a point. I've even slimmed down the width of an end to fit an end into the mount.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Question on shocks/springs 21 Aug 2014 23:58 #644752

• Puffin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 32
If they are completely shot then they are probably empty of oil :ohmy: if thats the case you are better off looking for some replacements rather than buying new springs :huh:
KZ1000 J Long Term Owner

KZ1100

KZ1100 Spectre project

Re:Re: Question on shocks/springs 22 Aug 2014 05:24 #644758

• toyotakzrider
  • User
sportster shocks will fit? damn that opens up the market quite a bit..

Question on shocks/springs 22 Aug 2014 05:26 #644759

• toyotakzrider
  • User

azman857 wrote: While shock length is important, so is bolt size. True, one can use shim down larger diameter holes using brass tubing, and maybe ream out smaller bores to fit larger bolts, But only to a point. I've even slimmed down the width of an end to fit an end into the mount.

oh making them fit is something that is never an issue. but i was hoping that they would fit without too much modification lol

Question on shocks/springs 22 Aug 2014 05:27 #644760

• toyotakzrider
  • User

Puffin wrote: If they are completely shot then they are probably empty of oil :ohmy: if thats the case you are better off looking for some replacements rather than buying new springs :huh:

I could not agree more. When I mention springs being replaced, I was speaking of the whole unit, my miscommunication....of course I would not put a new set of springs on a shot set of shocks. That would be idiocy

Question on shocks/springs 22 Aug 2014 05:35 #644761

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I haven't looked in a while, but it used to be that new or almost new Sportster shocks could be found for cheap on eebbaayy fairly easily, as the HD guys would remove them & install lowering shocks.

With Sportster shocks the bushings have to be swapped out --- no big deal --- one method is to use a C-clamp & socket. silicone spray is a good lubricant for the job. ...... The bottom eye of the Sportys is wider than the swing arm mount, so either spread open the mount or grind down the shocks. ...... The lower end of the left side shock may contact the chain guard --- this usually isn't a problem, not that anyone has reported, anyway & probably less so if you get a plastic chain guard.

Question on shocks/springs 22 Aug 2014 15:44 #644822

• 80B4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 105
I just found a set of Koni's on ebay for less then $60. I ordered a pair of bushings and rebuild kits from Dave Gardner at Ikon USA and his service was great.

www.IkonSuspensionUSA.com
1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

Question on shocks/springs 27 Aug 2014 09:48 #645368

• toyotakzrider
  • User
So, I got a good used set of kz1000p shocks/springs today. They are about a half inch longer uncompressed than my stockers, I can deal with that. The good part is they are WAY stiffer than the stock ones. Soooo, anyone looking for a good set of upgraded springs or shocks for their bikes, and dont mind the extra 1/2" length, Look no farther than the kz1000p. The ones I got were for a 2000 model, They were the best shape ones i could find. They cost me about 55 bucks shipped from ebay.

Eric
82 kz750csr

• Page: