Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Caliper holder shaft removal kz550 20 Jul 2014 13:56 #640708

• ChicagoLTD
  • ChicagoLTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Could anyone tell me how to remove the lower caliper holder shaft on a KZ550 C front brake?

The upper one slides out but this lower one has a bushing inside and I cannot get the shaft to come out. The part I'm trying to remove is #6 in the diagram.

Thanks

1981 KZ550-LTD (bobber)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Caliper holder shaft removal kz550 20 Jul 2014 19:19 #640753

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
The slide pins just get stuck from lack of lubrication. These are where the brake caliper is floating, and self adjusting to the brake pads. These need to be disassembled and cleaned/ lubed when changing brake pads at Least, if not every couple of years.
That pin will need to be soaked with something like PB Blaster, possibly heated up around the caliper frame outside where the bore for the pin is. It will come out, then use a good water proof grease, or Sil-Glide which is a silicone based grease made for those exact slide pins.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Caliper holder shaft removal kz550 20 Jul 2014 20:28 #640763

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
When not frozen, as Motorhead said, it would just pull out.

Don't use hydrocarbon grease, get silglide or something similar for brake parts.

Great lookin chopper!

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: