Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 23 Sep 2014 17:48 #648570

• Godffery
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Attention member D3:
I just sent you an email regarding your new diaphragms. If for some reason you do not receive it, please contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for instructions on how I order at least one of these.

Thank you, Godffery

Godffery’s Garage
tinyurl.com/yfrw4fc
8010 Gateway Drive,
Burlington WI. 53105

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 24 Sep 2014 16:39 #648665

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75

dohc wrote:

saxjonz wrote: I pulled lever in and tied it to the handlebars and left it overnight. The next day voila, it worked. Now,

I did this accidentally. Spent an entire afternoon trying to bleed my 650 but no matter what I did the lever just pulled all the way to the grip. I eventually gave up and walked away, but when I came back the next day it had fixed itself. Gravity!! But there is no reason to lock the lever in. That would just block the ports to the reservoir. If this method is going to work, gravity will either bring the air to the top or it won't. The lever position doesn't matter.
I think that, in my case, there was air in the slave. By tying the brake to handlebars it allowed it to fill. I left it for several weeks before I came back to it and it still wouldn't pump up. When I read about this little trick it worked the very next day caliper pumped up perfect.

I

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 24 Sep 2014 16:41 #648666

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
I don't get on the forum very often but I'm glad that you found hole to be blocked and hope that you get it going. I am still trying to get the other gremlins fixed that are preventing me from riding this old girl. Just glad those will be easy fixes unlike the front brakes.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 24 Sep 2014 17:23 #648676

• weales
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Got one of those carb jet cleaners on order so when that arrives I'll be able to clean out the relief port - will hopefully get some time this weekend to have another go at bleeding the front brakes. If I still have trouble I'll have a go at D3's suggestion to elevate the calipers above the m/cyl. (Bit hard to get the T-junction elevated as it's an integral part of the m/cyl and there's not much flexibility in the short hose from the reservoir to the m/cyl) Will keep you posted. Bill.
Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 26 Sep 2014 14:43 #648912

• DOHC
  • DOHC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 506

weales wrote: If I still have trouble I'll have a go at D3's suggestion to elevate the calipers above the m/cyl. (Bit hard to get the T-junction elevated as it's an integral part of the m/cyl...

The lack of a splitter/T-junction actually should help, as this is one less piece where a bubble can hide.

I finally found my micrometer. The wire I used as a gauge pin measures 0.0181", just as the amazon review suggested.

The relief hole would be a tiny bit bigger than this. Rounding up to the nearest fractional millimeter, 0.5mm would be 0.0197". I'd buy that...
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: weales

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 28 Sep 2014 14:31 #649043

• weales
  • User
Ok - I will be getting a carb jet tool this week so will clean out the relief hole to that dimension (ie 0.5mm) The hole that I have poked through with a needle is about half this, so it's obviously still got some junk jammed in it! Will post an update on progress - either positive :) or negative :(

I'll be buying a set of digital calipers as well to help with this little task - I've been promising myself one of these for a while now - have been getting by with borrowing one. They are a very handy tool and local auto parts outlets have them for around $30 (although if you want the "Rolls-Royce" version the sky's the limit).
Current Project
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

Last edit: by weales. Reason: Add detail

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 16 Oct 2014 19:28 #650881

• Godffery
  • User
Just wanted to give a shout out for member D3: regarding his new Z1R Master diaphragms.
Got'm, Love'em, Worked Great, Thank you very much !
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 05 Nov 2014 13:23 #652955

• weales
  • User

Godffery wrote: Just wanted to give a shout out for member D3: regarding his new Z1R Master diaphragms.
Got'm, Love'em, Worked Great, Thank you very much !

Can thoroughly add my thanks to D3 - and all who have contributed to this thread! You guys have helped me heaps with my brakes rebuild! - yes finally got the front brakes assembled and bled successfully! :woohoo:
I've been persevering with the bleed but with no success - even after opening the blocked relief port and re-assembling the whole shebang VERRY carefully per the w/shop manuel. Last night I was about to cover her up again and have a beer when I noticed that the lever wasn't coming right to the h'bars. So, I adjusted this (the Z1-R has a cable operated, remote m/cyl) and had another go (I also gave both calipers a bit of a work back and forth as they hadn't moved even a poofteenth of an inch).
This time a lot more air bubbles appeared in the bleed hose, which was promising and the caliper I was working on actually moved onto the disc and I got some resistance at the lever. I thought "gotcha,!" I bled the other side and hey, hey more air bubbles then clear fluid from this side too, with really good pressure at the lever! I let it sit for a while to savour the success, then bled a bit more fluid through - just to confirm and all was good.

Glad I didn't have to elevate the calipers above the M/Cyl as this would have been pretty tricky in my Un-TARDIS workshop (ie actually smaller once you get inside!). Anyway, I still have a cheesy grin on my face ! Cheers all,
Bill.
Current Project
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

Last edit: by weales. Reason: add detail

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 07 Nov 2014 01:39 #653124

• Godffery
  • User
Everyone usually likes to see pix, so here are a few of the set I rebuilt with the help of D3's parts.
Attachments:

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 26 Jan 2015 05:10 #659778

• neighbourdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Attachment IMG_20150126_080644.jpg not found

Great info. I am just starting to tackle this job now.
The bleed hole on my master is plugged also.
I am going to order the parts from Z1 and D3.
Thanks guys.
1998 Concours
1978 Z1-R
1975 H2C
1974 H1E
1973 S2A
Attachments:

Last edit: by neighbourdave.

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 30 Mar 2018 07:55 #781003

• GregZ
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 88
Vary helpful older thread, thanks to everyone who posted on here..................But I need some help

Last year front brakes worked fine. Over the long winter I move bike and front brakes lock up. I rebuilt everything on front brake assembly per this thread. Bleeding, I get nice clean fluid out of the left front caliper and nothing from the right. Not even a drop of brake fluid at the M/C port, nothing. I can put finger over hole and pump brake lever and there will be a suction at my finger but no fluid. not a drop. I'm stumped
Attachments:

Z1R Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Substitute 30 Mar 2018 09:16 #781009

• Godffery
  • User

GregZ wrote: Vary helpful older thread, thanks to everyone who posted on here..................But I need some help

Last year front brakes worked fine. Over the long winter I move bike and front brakes lock up. I rebuilt everything on front brake assembly per this thread. Bleeding, I get nice clean fluid out of the left front caliper and nothing from the right. Not even a drop of brake fluid at the M/C port, nothing. I can put finger over hole and pump brake lever and there will be a suction at my finger but no fluid. not a drop. I'm stumped

I would think the only way for one side to work and the other Not, is a straight up clog in that junction? Still, that would be the first time I ever herd of that happening.?!