Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 06 Jan 2012 20:40 #496798

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I agree with the sentiment expressed in the previous posts regarding wheels, tires, suspension, steering dampers, etc. B)

The only thing I would add, is that it's all about "the package"! It's how the whole bike works together. The old "domino effect" comes to mind. More often than not, when you modify one thing you'll need to change/adjust/fix a series of other things to make it work as well as it did before you even started. :woohoo:

Having said all that, I honestly believe my KZ does EVERYTHING better that the original ever did! I've owned it since it rolled off the showroom floor and loved every minute of that time. Never more than I do today!

As has already been said, beware of the "slippery slope" when you're tempted to modify an already good thing!! B)

IMO, good things CAN be made better though! ;)
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Drooz.

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 07 Jan 2012 00:00 #496845

• KraZyRIDER
  • KraZyRIDER's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44

Drooz wrote: I agree with the sentiment expressed in the previous posts regarding wheels, tires, suspension, steering dampers, etc. B)

The only thing I would add, is that it's all about "the package"! It's how the whole bike works together. The old "domino effect" comes to mind. More often than not, when you modify one thing you'll need to change/adjust/fix a series of other things to make it work as well as it did before you even started. :woohoo:

Having said all that, I honestly believe my KZ does EVERYTHING better that the original ever did! I've owned it since it rolled off the showroom floor and loved every minute of that time. Never more than I do today!

As has already been said, beware of the "slippery slope" when you're tempted to modify an already good thing!! B)

IMO, good things CAN be made better though! ;)

...well, I couldn't agree with you more, Drooz. Patchwork just won't get it done. If you're going to modify, go all out. If you're going old school, like I intend, stick to old school.

...I was looking for some tips and such and I got plenty of them. For this project and probably even for future projects. I plan on updating as much as I can, while staying within the confines of the period, the 70's that is. Bushing, bearing, springs, shocks, will all be updated. On the swingarm, I'm going two routes. Mostly, because I'm a mental case and like a choice. I'm going to have the stock swingarm gusseted and I picked up a aluminum box swingarm from ramtough_63. At a very good price, I might add. Thanks RT, I appreciate it and will return the favor one day.

...I'm going to stick with the stock tank, or should I say with the '77 tank that's on my '79? I'm going with the front fender and the tail/seat combo off of that late 70's factory Kawasaki pictured on this same page. No full faring, no sense in puttin' a dress on a prize fighter, but it will have a T-shirt on in the form of a 1/4 fairing.

...the stock three disc set up will be good enough for me, but I would like to go to a bigger chain and sprockets. Wheels will remain the stock mags, so the tire size will follow suit. A new 4 - 1 header, and some velocity stacks. I'm going to use the clip-on style bars and mount some mirrors off the ends, maybe even get some new levers.

...can you picture this yet? I can and I like what I'm imagining. Factory lime green and white, trimmed with black, gold wheels, black engine, aluminum cam and side covers. Yep, it's all becoming very clear now.

...I was really having a hard time deciding what I wanted to do with this bike. But, since I came hear and chatted with the bunch of you, my fuzzy ideas have become very clear. I'd like to thank all of you for your help, ideas and opinions. This is a fabulous group here and I'm very glad to be a part of it. I am humbled by the way so many of you have come forth and helped me with my dilemma. If I in any way can be of help to any of you, I will do my best to do so. I never forget a good turn.

...I'm heading of to Hong Kong and China for at least 10 days, so I won't be around to answer anymore replies. I will make a bee-line for this forum when I get back, though. You can be sure of that! There won't be much entertainment in China. I'm heading to the factory that produces the product that our company makes. It seems they've forgotten how to do certain things, things that put our company on the map. I'm heading there to reintroduce them to the proper way to do things, with a foot in the ass if necessary. Microsoft has been up our butt lately about certain details, so I'm going to make sure the next round of Halo figures makes them very happy.

...once again, thanks to all of you for your time and help with my questions. You guys are the best. See you when I get back.

:)
Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

Last edit: by KraZyRIDER.

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 07 Jan 2012 00:08 #496847

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
That's cool that you have a clearer picture in mind now! Sounds like a super bike that anyone would be proud to own and ride! B)

And that is the "name of the game", isn't it?! To own and ride one of the coolest bikes ever built?! :woohoo: :woohoo: With a few personal touches to set it apart, of course. :laugh:

Have a great trip! See ya on the other side! :)

Drew
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 07 Jan 2012 01:28 #496861

• gorack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm hopeing all my modifications do help handiling -aluminum swingarm, concours 41mm fork with zephyr triple trees. If not I'm still happy ith the wow factor. It really is cheap therapy
Attachments:

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 07 Jan 2012 01:29 #496862

• gorack
  • User
I'm hopeing all my modifications do help handiling -aluminum swingarm, concours 41mm fork with zephyr triple trees. If not I'm still happy ith the wow factor. It really is cheap therapy
Attachments:

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 07 Jan 2012 05:15 #496879

• Dave Sloan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I have a gs1100 (called a gsx1100 over here)swing arm with zrx 1100 shocks and modified std front forks on my z650.
Hope I get this photobucket thing right :blink:

Z650B2 - Injected

Last edit: by Dave Sloan.

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 10 Jan 2012 10:19 #497386

• Kra_Zee750
  • User
Krazy Rider: Polishing sucks, lots of work involved, best left to a professional that has the proper equipment needed. Sorry I didn't quote the original post.

Last edit: by Kra_Zee750. Reason: forgot to include name.

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 10 Jan 2012 10:21 #497387

• Kra_Zee750
  • User

Kra_Zee750 wrote: Someone mentioned earlier that an early Gsxr swingarm would work. Just curious as to what year period I should look into, and what all I need to do this. all I want to do is put a set of Gsxr wheels on it and take the rear wheel out 2-4"

I guess I'll just keep asking until I get an answer on this. What year model GSX-R swingarm will work on an 82' kz750?

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 10 Jan 2012 10:53 #497389

• faffi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
I believe they mean the 1980-83 GSX1100, known as GS1100 in America. Any GSX-R item will need lower shock absorber mounts welded on, or convert the frame to take the monoshock Gixxer suspension.
1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 10 Jan 2012 13:25 #497403

• Kra_Zee750
  • User

faffi wrote: I believe they mean the 1980-83 GSX1100, known as GS1100 in America. Any GSX-R item will need lower shock absorber mounts welded on, or convert the frame to take the monoshock Gixxer suspension.

Now we are getting somewhere.... I dont really see any benefit to that arm over the stock arm though.... How would I go about putting on a 2008 or so, arm? Obviously the pivot bolt is either more narrow or wider but I dont know which.

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 10 Jan 2012 16:36 #497422

• faffi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
You either have to sleeve the swingarm or ream the frame bosses if there is a difference in the axle diameters. Furthermore, you also need to either shim the swingarm to fit the space in the frame, or cut the boss in the swingarm if it is too wide to fit the opening in the frame. Then you need to make sure that the rear wheel fits - you may need new wheel bearings and fabricate brackets to hold the brake caliper - and that the sprockets line up perfectly. And then you may need longer or shorter shock absorbers to retain the stock ride height, and if the angle is different you will also need stiffer or softer springs, depending.

If the swingarm from one of the Zephyrs fit, that would be my choice. Or a CB1000 or an XJR1200/1300. But frankly, do you have a flexing problem today? I would doubt it, expecially if all bearings are ship shape. So it's down to whether you want something to do this winter or if you want to change the looks bad enough to start the project. Otherwise, you'll prolly be happy with the way things are.
1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Swingarm Conversion Q's - Function or Looks 10 Jan 2012 16:55 #497426

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

faffi wrote: You either have to sleeve the swingarm or ream the frame bosses if there is a difference in the axle diameters. Furthermore, you also need to either shim the swingarm to fit the space in the frame, or cut the boss in the swingarm if it is too wide to fit the opening in the frame. Then you need to make sure that the rear wheel fits - you may need new wheel bearings and fabricate brackets to hold the brake caliper - and that the sprockets line up perfectly. And then you may need longer or shorter shock absorbers to retain the stock ride height, and if the angle is different you will also need stiffer or softer springs, depending.

If the swingarm from one of the Zephyrs fit, that would be my choice. Or a CB1000 or an XJR1200/1300. But frankly, do you have a flexing problem today? I would doubt it, expecially if all bearings are ship shape. So it's down to whether you want something to do this winter or if you want to change the looks bad enough to start the project. Otherwise, you'll prolly be happy with the way things are.

Amen brother! There ain't nobody riding one of these bikes hard enough on the street to notice any swingarm flex assuming the bearings/bushings are in good repair. I don't believe you could even generate measurable swingarm flex using street tires. I know on my KZ650-C1 (in my younger, wilder days) I didn't experience it even using racing compound (PZ2) Michelins on the street and even when dragging footpegs, centerstand tang, etc. If one wishes to make the bike look more modern by swapping swingarms, that's up to them, but it really is pretty much just a cosmetic change rather than a functional change. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)