Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

best fork swap for 82 kz1000 28 Aug 2016 19:07 #740297

• Apexmoto Inc
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 0

porchev914 wrote:

they bolt up to the Kz frame using Kz bearings with the stock fork offset. The gullwing drop gives you back some of your lost ride hight with the shorter modern forks.

Anyone know who built these triples? Looking to put an R6 front on a Z1 ( old thread i know )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

best fork swap for 82 kz1000 28 Aug 2016 21:13 #740322

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107

Apexmoto Inc wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

they bolt up to the Kz frame using Kz bearings with the stock fork offset. The gullwing drop gives you back some of your lost ride hight with the shorter modern forks.

Anyone know who built these triples? Looking to put an R6 front on a Z1 ( old thread i know )

They look like custom CNC machined billet, and would probably be in the $500 - $1000 range. I recall that Harris in the U.K. still does work like that...
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

best fork swap for 82 kz1000 29 Aug 2016 01:07 #740351

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I fitted a ZX9R front end on my CSR1000 (link below). It is said to be the longest upsy dupsys available. I used a complete front end,wheel,brakes,triples etc. A lot easier than trying to mix and match. I did make my own mudguard though as the ZXR was too modern looking for what I wanted. The only real engineering involved was a stem swap which I farmed out as Im not a machinist. The guy I sent it too actually turned a new stem on the lathe and pressed it in. Job done.
On the plus side,modern suspension,modern brakes,better tyre choice and it looks peachy. On the down side, I have a slightly smaller turning radius (before hitting the tank) and the ground clearance is a concern. Im still not on the road yet so I dont know how this is going to effect real world use.
There are ways around this. The gull wing triples are one way,probably the best but most expensive.If I need to jack the front up,Ill probably go for fork extensions ( I found someone local who makes them). This only helps on the ground clearance issue not the turn radius.
There is a list somewhere (but of course I cant find it now) of various upsy dupsy fork lengths. It must be on here somewhere. There is also this;
www.newton-equipment.com/aero-600-filler-cap-model-A68sl.html
Might be helpful to you.

Another thing to think about. For myself,I couldnt do a front end conversion without also doing the back. It just didnt look right especially a modern 3 spoke wheel on the front and the old style z wheel on the back. So whatever youre going to budget for the front youll probably want to double to include the back as well.

Good luck with it.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

• Page: