Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 18 Sep 2008 14:15 #237644

• chillz3201
  • chillz3201's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just got the deal of the century on a complete suspension for an 08 R1 (yamaha). I was wondering if the rear swing arm will fit in between the frame of my kz650. and what i will have to doto get the front to fit also. I do not have the set yet I am picking them up so I havent measured.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 18 Sep 2008 14:34 #237645

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
welcome, any thing can be made to fit, question is how are your fabrication and welding skills
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 18 Sep 2008 15:03 #237652

• chillz3201
  • User
I geuss the better question would have been will it fit with out slicing it up (rear swing arm)? My skills are limited to cutting and measuring but I have a buddy who owns a motorcycle shop who can weld very well doing the work while I help him. I just dont know much about the KZ650 as far as measurements go. I have only owned the bike for three weeks. I bought it with the idea of having a unique street fighter. I appreciate your input and any advice you can give me.

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 19 Sep 2008 06:34 #237757

• Paling1
  • User
I have a pic with some dimensions of a '02/'03 R1.

This one is 260 mm wide at the frame... I'm not sure about a Z650, but a Z750 has only ±225 mm between the frame. So you probably have to cut something of the swingarm.
But then I'm not sure if you can get bearings in it. As far as I know there are 2 needlebearings in it, there is also a rollerbearing at the chainside.
My KZ700 only has 2 needle bearings, so you may be able to modify an R1 swingarm to fit with only the needlebearings.

There is also the length of the swingarm to consider. Modern sportbikes get the longest swingarms manufacturers can get in the frame without altering the wheelbase of the bike. This supposedly helps traction.
I know that the R1 models after '02/'03 got an even longer swingarm.

I hope this helps, and please make a lot of pictures when you decide to put this swingarm in your bike!:woohoo:
I think it would look really cool with dualshock mounts welded on it...B)
KZ700-A1 (1984)
525 chain conversion; Dyna 2,2 ohm coils; Taylor plugwires; Stainless steel ZR-7 exhaust ; Remus muffler.
Plans: GPZ cams, ported head, 17 inch wheels, EFI....
Attachments:

Last edit: by Paling1.

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 19 Sep 2008 13:53 #237812

• chillz3201
  • User
Thank you! It does help. I picked up the parts today and I dont think it will take that much cutting. The R1 swing arm is less than an inch wider the the KZ swing arm. It looks like all I will need to cut is the bearing races they are outside the body of the swing arm. I hope I can cut them cleanly and just push them further inside the body of the swing arm and weld them. The R1 swing arm is approx. 3 1/2 inches longer so I will have to get a chain (but i wanted it a little longer). The only real unknown right now is what type of spacing I will have to do to get the chian lined up. I am going to swap it to mono shock since i got all that with the swing arm. I will take pictures all through the conversion. I am extremely excited. Now I just gotta save some more money for the fab work. Wish me luck. I will also document everything we have to do and post it for future searches.

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 19 Sep 2008 15:00 #237818

• galaxian
  • User
You may run into several problems:

1. If you cut the outer ends of the swingarm (where the bearings are) you will need to re-fit the bearings inboard more and that may pose a problem beacuse the ID of the swingarm usually is much smaller as you get closer to the center. If you gut the swingarm you will see that the bearings are held in place by the fact that they cannot slide inward toward center becasue the ID of the swingarm is actually smaller. At least that is how most of the modern day swingarms are.

So you will need to play the bearing and spacer game to get it to fit. Not impossible just irritating trying to find the right bushing in the Mcmaster Carr catalog.

2.Offset is not your friend. At least not on a 25 plus year old bike with a modern swingarm. Are you going to use a 6inch rim? I suspect that the r1 must use that. On my 1000 i fitted a 6 inch rim with less that 1/8 inch clearance between frame and chain and between chain and tire. On a 650 it may be even a tighter fit but maybe not. I would love to see you do this so get to it and take some pics.:) Good Luck!
1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 19 Sep 2008 16:14 #237828

• chillz3201
  • User
Thank you, I have helped build several 4 wheeled projects but this is my first two wheeled one. I am using a 6in. (stock R1) wheel and the offset is the only part that is scaring me, it is going to be very tight. I have so many ideas running through my head on how to get around clearance issues. With the bearings in the swing arm it could get expensive but I can always take it to a fab shop and have them add or take away metal (I hope) to make the bearings fit but with clearance it could be a different issue. And we havent even started talking about the front, it is from the same R1 and I have a feeling it will be fun to. But I got such a good deal I couldnt pass them up. I paid $300.00 for everything (pulled the front off the frame including brakes wheel and tire, clipons, reseviors, electrical tripple trees and the rear also cam complete. So I figured what I saved on the parts was worth a little extra effort to get it done. But please keep the advice coming I really appreciate any you can give. Include any experiences you may have had with this type of conversion.

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 19 Sep 2008 18:35 #237838

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Ewwwwwwwww, ain't you a bargain hunter! Nice buy!

The front will be much easier. The "best" way will be to press the R1 stem out of the triples and fit your KZ stem into the R1 bottom triple clamp. This will allow a basic front clip swap. Be aware that the off-set of the new front forks will be much closer to the bike and therefore the forks will contact your fuel tank much sooner in the turn...solution will be to fabricate steering stops that solve the interface issue.

BTW: We NEEEEED pictures! :)

-KR
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 20 Sep 2008 00:04 #237877

• chillz3201
  • User
Thank you, I would have never thought of that and didnt know you could just press out the stem.Would I be so lucky as to have the KZ stem press right into the R1 triple with no modification? :) Or will I have to fab something up to make it fit? If it is as simple as just pressing it in and out I will get some pictires of the front up soon. If not I have to wait my turn at my buddies shop. He is pretty backed up.

will 08 R1 swing arm fit kz650 27 Sep 2008 19:14 #238992

• perattzi
  • User
Very interested in this thread! I have been toying with the idea of putting an r6 front end on my 78 650. And keeping the stock swingarm but fitting a 17 rear wheel...has anyone done this to the rear? good luck chillz!
1978 KZ650B w/ Zuki running gear project

• Page: