Stator amperage output for 1978 KZ650 Custom 20 Jan 2017 11:00 #752552

• nbe224
  • nbe224's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ650 Custom
  • Thank you received: 0
1978 KZ650 Custom **(Single-phase stator, permanent-magnet alternator)**

Hello,
This is my first post here but I've been reading and absorbing as much information as possible over the past year or so since I've purchased my KZ. My question concerns the charging system, more specifically what is the designed amperage output of the charging system. I've searched high and low through the internet, these forums, the FSM, and even the lesser Clymer manual to get a solid answer. The closet i came was a mention of "...I think 18 amps if i remember correctly..." posted on a kawasaki forum 12 years ago. Perhaps i've over looked something or have just been using the wrong search criteria.
My system tests out perfectly based on all tests recommended in the FSM. The only major change has been a new regulator/rectifier from oregonmotorcycleparts.com (great guy to deal with and a quality product). There is no operational issues with the bike i'm just looking to add a small USB charging port with a amp meter and trying to get a better picture of the available power if any left in the system.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
-1978 KZ650-C2 w/ 23,xxx miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stator amperage output for 1978 KZ650 Custom 20 Jan 2017 13:58 #752562

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Welcome to KZR!

I lifted this off a post on the kz650info site;

"Maybe i havent looked hard enough but i can't see figures anywhere. Does anyone know what output the 650 charging systems have? Are there differences between models?
Volt & Amps @ ? RPM"

"Steve I couldn't find any figures as well but the 3 phase systems should be around 200W of output power.
The two phase systems should be around 150W.
Nominal full output power is tested at 4000 RPM or above."

"Steve, I have some of the different models spec sheets from FSMs for several of the models and for the F3, H2 it states the following for the 3 phase permanent magnet system
Rated output 17amps @8000rpms 14volts
With some quick math this would work out to 238 watts much as Pablo suggest."

"Thanks guys, just thinking ahead to see if the Zephyr 750 charging system will fit on, it's rated @ 20A."
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, Mcdroid, GPz550D1, TexasKZ, kaw-a-holic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: