Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'80 z550 ltd electrical mystery 10 Oct 2016 17:23 #744928

• TonytheKid
  • TonytheKid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This bike has been a pain but I finally got all the mechanical issues fixed and she ran like a dream for a while until I decided to have too much fun and pushed her until she collapsed

I saw a little puff of white smoke come up in front and from down below of my headlight (it was dark, that's the only smoke I saw but it could have come from somewhere else) it ran for about 10 seconds after then completely died

Judging from where I saw the smoke I checked the power relay and it looked cooked so I replaced that and nothing. I checked my fuses and saw a blown one and replaced that as well. No luck. I took apart the headlight to make sure all wires were properly connected and they seemed good but I'm no electrician so I may have to double back here

Headlight doesn't turn on, neatral light won't come on it's completely dead. She won't even turn on with a push start. Advice of any kind before I waste money on a bike shop would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'80 z550 ltd electrical mystery 11 Oct 2016 09:25 #744956

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1619
What "power relay" did you replace? And what fuse? The fuse box should be embossed with identification info.

A glass fuse can look good, but still be bad, so either test all of them or go ahead & get all new.

'80 z550 ltd electrical mystery 11 Oct 2016 15:29 #744990

• TonytheKid
  • TonytheKid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I went ahead and replaced all the fuses for just that reason. Proper amps too

I'm not too technical but the pigtail relay under the front end of my gas tank with 4 prongs. I heard it called a pigtail or Bosch relay if that helps

'80 z550 ltd electrical mystery 11 Oct 2016 22:03 #745015

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That relay was probably added by an owner at some point. It is not needed, and in fact can simply mask over the real problem, which is dirty connections. Then eventually the dirty or bad connections get so bad the bike won't run.

I would try to restore the wiring back to original and fix the real issues. Without a diagram or details on what was changed it will be hard to troubleshoot.

Does the new fuse blow?

• Page: