Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 24 Jun 2016 14:42 #732694

• Stormtrooper
  • Stormtrooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, so I'm trying to narrow this down, i have an 81 LTD kz750, everything is going hunky dory and bam I get this problem.

Rode the bike home from work no issues, stopped in side for maybe 30min and come out to a bike put my key to the "on position" and none of the lights turn on, further more it won't start, so immediately I think battery must be dead (even though I bought it less than a month ago), but when I hook up my tender to check it says I have a full charge! So I check my terminals and connectors everything is clean and snug. I'm thinking its a fuse or short somewhere between ignition and the batt, I also noticed a couple times In the past I have trouble with getting my key in the ignition. Has anybody ran into this issue? Any components more likely to have this problem then others? Tonight I'm going to try and go through with a volt meter and see if I find anything but if you guys can help narrow it down I would appreciate it! Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 24 Jun 2016 14:44 #732695

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Did you check the fuses?

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 24 Jun 2016 14:47 #732696

• Stormtrooper
  • User
It was pretty dark, I checked the ones under the seat but didn't go through all the ones inside the panel on the left side, just tried jiggling the wires, defintiley going to check every fuse in the thing tonight before I whip out that handy volt meter.

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 24 Jun 2016 16:58 #732706

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
I dunno if we share the same ignition switch but my '79 650-C3 had a problems with the ignition switch (namely, I didn't have the key! LOL) but after resetting the tumblers to work with another key, I discovered the contacts inside the switch (the plastic portion at the bottom of the key lock) were quasi and not always functioning as supposed to.
You could try wiggling your key the next time and sorta' press down on the key to help the contact points in the plastic switch assy' press harder together.
This is not an uncommon problem on these switches that are now 30+ years old.

In the end, I had to replace my entire key/lock/switch assy' because as it turned out the one I bought on eBay which I carefully rebuilt, didn't even fit the damn console. Doh! :pinch:

The brown wire that comes from the ignition switch and is the only wire that is out of the wrapped loom, is the culprit when you have no lights, no start. Put your meter there and you'll probably find it's reading zero. Then try wiggling the key and see if it changes.

I had to modify the EMGO replacement switch slightly but it fit the console perfectly and the mod was easy if you end up going with a new switch, I'll be happy to show you the pics of the easy mod to make it work with a stock wire loom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stormtrooper

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 24 Jun 2016 17:54 #732712

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
You can try spraying contact cleaner in there to free up the springs and clean the contacts. I took mine apart and cleaned it manually. Delicate but doable.
Steve

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 24 Jun 2016 21:22 #732731

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Could be a bad ig switch, I would replace all fuses for sure.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 24 Jun 2016 21:23 #732732

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

wrenchmonkey wrote: I had to modify the EMGO replacement switch slightly

Me too, I had to rewire it but it fixed the problem.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 28 Jun 2016 12:06 #733160

• Stormtrooper
  • User
Well it turned out to not be the ignition switch, I purchased a 1980 LTD parts bike and swapped over the fuse box and it came to life, however it kept shorting out and blowing the fuse circled in red in the attached picture, not sure what this fuse is for I obtained a wiring diagram but it's kind of hard to read, also there is a wire that doesn't seem to have another one to connect to, I have a blue arrow pointing to it. Anybody know what these are for? The bike runs really slow and then just loses power while riding now (when that fuse pops).
Attachments:

Kz750 lights won't turn on & no start 28 Jun 2016 12:19 #733162

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Wire looks burned. Need to trace it back.
Steve

• Page: