Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spark Plug Caps ??? 26 Jun 2016 06:35 #732861

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

pjluckai wrote: .... or so I thought. Dyna 3ohm mini coils installed, solid core wires, Non "R" plugs and caps... Runs fine, but shut it off after a 15 min ride and the battery was completely dead. Anyone know what could have caused this?

Because it runs fine, the ignition circuit seems okay. But the dead battery indicates either a charging circuit issue, or an issue with the battery itself, or an unwanted voltage drain.

Before further diagnosis and testing, would first service the battery (if applicable), and charge it.

May test the charging circuit by measuring voltage between the battery posts at 4000 rpm (look for 14-15 volts DC).

To prepare the battery for load-testing, would service the battery (as applicable), charge it overnight, and have it load-tested (for free at local automotive parts store such as AutoZone, Walmart, etc., or any place that sells batteries).

With a good battery and a functional charging circuit, would suspect a voltage drain somewhere in the electrical system that's consuming voltage faster that the battery is being charged.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Patton.

Spark Plug Caps ??? 29 Jun 2016 12:28 #733287

• pjluckai
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Patton wrote:

pjluckai wrote: .... or so I thought. Dyna 3ohm mini coils installed, solid core wires, Non "R" plugs and caps... Runs fine, but shut it off after a 15 min ride and the battery was completely dead. Anyone know what could have caused this?

Because it runs fine, the ignition circuit seems okay. But the dead battery indicates either a charging circuit issue, or an issue with the battery itself, or an unwanted voltage drain.

Before further diagnosis and testing, would first service the battery (if applicable), and charge it.

May test the charging circuit by measuring voltage between the battery posts at 4000 rpm (look for 14-15 volts DC).

To prepare the battery for load-testing, would service the battery (as applicable), charge it overnight, and have it load-tested (for free at local automotive parts store such as AutoZone, Walmart, etc., or any place that sells batteries).

With a good battery and a functional charging circuit, would suspect a voltage drain somewhere in the electrical system that's consuming voltage faster that the battery is being charged.

You are correct again sir. Voltage between the battery posts was low. Considering the age of the battery, I went with a new one, and problem solved.

Thanks!
Pete

'82 GPZ 1100

Spark Plug Caps ??? 30 Jun 2016 16:34 #733404

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
About ready to purchase the complete Dyna S kit for my 77' KZ1000A. I'm assuming that the Dyna wires are probably a solid core copper wire with a Non-Resistance spark plug cap ?

I just purchased New NGK YBO5F spark plug caps 5Kohm. Can I use these with my new Dyna system and wires ?
77' KZ1000A

Spark Plug Caps ??? 30 Jun 2016 16:50 #733405

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
I thought dyna wires were suppression type?

Spark Plug Caps ??? 30 Jun 2016 17:00 #733406

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Dyna shows a 7mm stranded copper core wire in either black or red. They also show a 7mm ( black ) suppression core and an 8mm ( gray ) suppression core wire.

Not sure which ones to use with the spark plug caps I have or ditch these caps and use the caps that are on the Dyna wires ?
77' KZ1000A

Spark Plug Caps ??? 30 Jun 2016 17:31 #733409

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Post the link to the wires. I don't have resistor wires or caps.
Steve

Spark Plug Caps ??? 30 Jun 2016 19:03 #733416

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Solid copper core non suppression in black, white, and yellow is what I've always used over the years and since day one.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Spark Plug Caps ??? 30 Jun 2016 19:12 #733420

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
You don't need resistor caps with suppression wire.

Spark Plug Caps ??? 30 Jun 2016 20:04 #733427

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
So from all the responses to my question, it looks like I'll be alright using my NGK resistor spark plug caps with the Dyna solid copper core spark plug wires :)
77' KZ1000A

Last edit: by kzdcw.

Spark Plug Caps ??? 30 Jun 2016 20:09 #733428

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

kzdcw wrote: So from all the responses to my question, it looks like I'll be alright using my NGK resistor spark plug caps with the Dyna solid copper core spark plug wires :)

Yes. Together with B8ES spark plugs. (Don't use "R" plugs.)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Page: