Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

charging prob 26 Sep 2015 16:50 #692065

• goldylox
  • goldylox's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just put somthing in about my regulator on my 1980 kz1000ltd and when i have jumper cables on my bike it stays running but as soon as i take the cables off it hust dies and i do have a new battery help please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 08:27 #692145

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
When you say new battery, did you just get it when this problem started ? I t could be a defective battery
when you say you have jumper cables on the battery, what are are you jumping from ?
If it's from a running car, you fried your battery
did you check the voltage on your battery when the bike is not running with the key off, & then did you check the voltage when you turn the key on?
let us know what numbers your getting
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 09:03 #692149

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Why do so many think this blow up the battery?
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 10:53 #692158

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
I'd be more concerned with the electrical system. I'm starting to have problems again. I checked the water and all were low. This time I'll buy a sealed battery. Too damn hot for the regular ones. I'll check the alternator and Reg/Rect before I do.
It's all listed in the MANUAL if you have one. :whistle:
Steve

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 11:07 #692159

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Over a long time it can boil out the battery. Car systems seem to be a few tenths higher than typical motorcycle systems, even going up to 15v at times. But their systems are more sophisticated so for a large battery it works ok. Smaller batteries like on motorcycles can't handle the sustained higher voltage because it translates into a sustained higher current, which means more heat.

The real problem of jumping from a running car is that motorcycles that use a permanent magnet alternator have no way of shutting off the alternator current when there is a larger voltage being applied by the car. So the regulator ends up shunting every cycle to ground through the rectifier. This can fry the regulator or rectifier or both in a relatively short time.

In systems where a solid state regulator controls a field coil, the higher car voltage shouldn't really be a problem. It will just turn off the alternator. However, mechanical regulators for field coils might not like the higher voltage. It expects the voltage to drop when it shuts off the field coil, and when it doesn't, the regulator winding or one of the series resistors might get hot.

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 11:21 #692160

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I don't understand why you would hook jumper cables up to anything if you have a new battery. Is the new battery charged? If so, why the jumper cables? Hooking those cable up to a running vehicle or a charger can wreck the bike's electrical system. Hooking them up to a battery shouldn't do damage as long as the other vehicle is not running, but it seems like a strange thing to do if the bike's battery is new and is charged. If the new battery is not charged you should charge it, but be aware that the charger should put out LESS than 2 amps or you will shorten the life of the new battery. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 12:17 #692166

• goldylox
  • User
My truck is always off when i jumped it and i bought a brand new battery and went riding for maybe hour and half and when i got home and shut bike off it would not start again and that is the reason why i got the battery was cause the last one was bad but i do have an vintage regulator and it isnt in good condition its falling aprt so i ordered an after market one hoping thats my prob and when i got the bike the guy had the negative on the cylinoid unpluged when bike wasnt running

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 12:38 #692171

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Disconnect the white and red stripe wire going to the regulator and see if it runs. The regulator might be shorted.
Steve

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 14:03 #692179

• goldylox
  • User
Yeah i think the regulator is bad i ordered a new one cause the one i have is an old vintage one and pices are falling off of the regulator

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 14:05 #692180

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
If you have a new battery, but it has discharged after a ride, then 99% sure it's a charging problem, not a battery problem.

It could be a short as swest suggested, but in my experience, 90% of the time it's the regulator/rectifier as just blown. I think you would have a generator, so no rectifier for you - my bet is the regulator. They dissipate a lot of heat, and do wear out.

Get a multi-meter - they're cheap and you will get your money's worth the first time you use it.

Back to the jumping-bike-with-car debate, I see no reason why you couldn't. The way they work is pretty much the same, as is the voltage. In fact, a new car generally has a lower charging voltage than an old one - to preserve the battery - and probably lower than your bike. However, I don't think it's worth the risk - but also, there's no need to start the car first. A car battery by itself will start a motorbike over and over again, and still start the car no problem. Just don't start the car, and jump from the battery.
1981 KZ750 LTD

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 14:15 #692181

• goldylox
  • User
Ok thanks and i will buy one of those meters can i get one at auto zone

charging prob 27 Sep 2015 15:14 #692195

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I hope you're not going to ride like that. :ohmy:
Steve

• Page: