TOPIC:

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 26 May 2015 04:34 #673779

• bluej58
  • bluej58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Time to replace my original coils.

I have a set of used 3.0 Ohm coils that I had planned on swapping them out with and I hear that they will work with points but they are really meant to be used with a Dyna S system.
We have a big trip planned soon and I don't want to upset the apple cart in the middle of our season ( the bike is running real good) so I am considering buying a set of Dyna 1.5 Ohm's.
I also have a used Dyna S ignition to go with the 3.0 coils but like I said this trip is too important to start messing around with all that right now and doing all the little mods that are necessary.

So are any of you guys using a set of Dyna 1.5 Ohm coils with points , do you like them?
What if any mods do I need to do to make them work?

Thanks,

JD
78 KZ1000 A2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 26 May 2015 07:08 #673814

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Then stick with what you got.
Steve

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 26 May 2015 12:40 #673863

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

bluej58 wrote: Time to replace my original coils.

I have a set of used 3.0 Ohm coils that I had planned on swapping them out with and I hear that they will work with points but they are really meant to be used with a Dyna S system.
We have a big trip planned soon and I don't want to upset the apple cart in the middle of our season ( the bike is running real good) so I am considering buying a set of Dyna 1.5 Ohm's.
I also have a used Dyna S ignition to go with the 3.0 coils but like I said this trip is too important to start messing around with all that right now and doing all the little mods that are necessary.

So are any of you guys using a set of Dyna 1.5 Ohm coils with points , do you like them?

Probably work great for starting campfires and weenie roast......

For standard points ignition, I would not go below four Ohm coils. If you have to use lower impedance coil, I would use a ballast resistor in series to keep the total at 4 Ohms or more.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 26 May 2015 12:41 #673864

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI also have those 3 ohm coils installed but have the Dyna S system sitting in a box..... :blink:
However, temporarily I am using the two Dyna coils with my KZ1000A stock points system, but I am feeding the common node "12v" to the coils through two 4 ohm, 50 watt resistors, wired in parallel for "2 ohms".
From the parallel resistor's +12v side, to the coils, it actually measures a grand total of 1.80 ohms with my precision Ohm meter..
So under 5 ohms total.

The resistors do get very warm so I wired them under the seat and out of the way.
Yes, there is an unwanted voltage drop across them because it is two resistances in series, (coil and resistors) so the coils do not see the full 12v-14v anymore.
But surprisingly, the bike runs very well like this anyhow and again, it is temporary.
I'll leave it like this until I finish the top end over haul.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 26 May 2015 14:55 #673888

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Keep it simple. With points, you want the Dyna 5 ohm coils. If they had 4 ohm coils, that would be better, but I don't think they have them. 3 ohm, or 5 ohm will work with the Dyna S if you want to install the Dyna S later on.

3 ohm is a little low for points. It will work, but the point life may be shortened slightly.

Some people have had great luck with the Emgo 4 ohm coils, but they are generally not available lately.

1.5 ohm coils are not really meant for any ignition system commonly used on a Kz, so they should not even be a consideration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roy-b-boy-b, bluej58

Last edit: by loudhvx.

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 26 May 2015 21:29 #673951

• bluej58
  • bluej58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Thanks guys, especially you Lou ;)
That just shows you how much I know about electricity :blink:
I found these 4.1 Ohm replacement coils at Z1 parts, they say they are not Chinese .
www.z1parts.net/product/z1-900-kz900-ign...et-with-caps#reviews
Any thoughts?
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58. Reason: added text

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 27 May 2015 08:08 #673987

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

bluej58 wrote: Thanks guys, especially you Lou ;)
I found these 4.1 Ohm replacement coils at Z1 parts, they say they are not Chinese .
Any thoughts?

Those look similar to the Emgo's, but with some differences. They look like a good choice, as long as they are reliable.
For a budget coil set, they are a little bit high on price. I would have expected it to be about $20 or $30 cheaper.
It may be worth it if they can guarantee they can deliver in time.

Here is the Emgo for comparison.
4into1.com/universal-4-ohm-dual-output-ignition-coil-90mm/
or at Z1 enterprises, but they are always out of stock. Check the price, though.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 27 May 2015 10:34 #674012

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

loudhvx wrote:

bluej58 wrote: Thanks guys, especially you Lou ;)
Any thoughts?

Those look similar to the Emgo's, but with some differences. They look like a good choice, as long as they are reliable.
For a budget coil set, they are a little bit high on price. I would have expected it to be about $20 or $30 cheaper.
It may be worth it if they can guarantee they can deliver in time.

Here is the Emgo for comparison.
4into1.com/universal-4-ohm-dual-output-ignition-coil-90mm/
or at Z1 enterprises, but they are always out of stock. Check the price, though.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

I see a lot of you guys say "Z1 has them but they are out of stock.", there are a couple of alternatives. You can call them and ask about the part in question, sometimes the parts come in and go out so quick I don't think they have time to update the site. Secondly, they also sell on eBay. When I was looking for copper washers, I think so many parts so little memory retention, I searched on eBay and the seller was Z1E. If they post it there they have to retain that item in stock for that particular posting. Here is a link: to their store:
stores.ebay.com/z1enterprisesinc/

Unfortunately for you the 4 ohm coil Lou suggested is not available via their eBay store either.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 27 May 2015 11:38 #674023

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I was thinking the same about Z1 Kawa-a-holic ...... have no clue on the coils but they were able to get a sprocket and a V and H comp baffle for me within a week or two even though they showed not available without a date.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

1.5 Ohm vs 3.0 Ohm 27 May 2015 11:41 #674024

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
If this is temporary.... I think you should just try the two parallel fifty watt 4 Ohm or 3 Ohms resistors investment for $5.80, plus the cost of 2 feet of 14g-16g stranded wire and some wire nuts... with the 3 Ohm coils you already have. Don't buy any coils.
It will probably work fine if your battery and charging systems are up to snuff ....and when you get back, install the Dyna S Ignition system and cut out the resistors.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.
  • Page: